How does private matches work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does private matches work?

I'm almost sure I will be returning MW2 when it it hits my door on the 18-20th, but I am still wondering how exactly private games work. Do you have to invite people or can they find the game by adding you to a friends list or something? I was thinking that as an alternative to dedicated servers, people with known locations with fast internet could sort of advertise their location and internet speed and just run a private game for people who are looking for lag free games with people close by. Though you will still have the problem of assholes and high ping people I would assume unless you can pick who gets in and who doesn't.

Re: How does private matches work?

That wouldn't work... IW want "casual". That aint.

Comment

Impossible to select a host in any mode as far as I know. IW is so super awesome that it decides for you!

This means that for clan matches one clan is always going to have an advantage (1 player on 1 team will always have 0ms ping) and you have no control over who that is. Isn't that incredible? How did us PC gamers ever survive without this cool feature?

Comment

Originally posted by FPS[VT_NERD]
        Impossible to select a host in any mode as far as I know. IW is so super awesome that it decides for you!

This means that for clan matches one clan is always going to have an advantage (1 player on 1 team will always have 0ms ping) and you have no control over who that is. Isn't that incredible? How did us PC gamers ever survive without this cool feature?
        I think you miss understood what I was asking. It also looks like I messed up my wording.

I wanted to know how the private match work. How do people get into them? Do you have to be on a friend/buddy list to join a private match or do you still have to invite people whether they are on a friends list or not.

I almost don't want to know anymore. I feel sick just asking these questions. I wouldn't have to if they just gave us dedicated server support. Maybe someone can point me to website hosting the manual for the PC version.

Comment

I found that you can invite friends to your private game via STEAM. You click an invite button and it brings up your friends and groups and can actually send the invite. They then join and you play with your configured settings.

You can probably also use xfire, but I have not tried that.

I will be FRAPing a few things and I can include that in it so you can see.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Ah ok, sorry I can't answer it. I'm not buying this game without dedicated servers and the other features they removed.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
              I will be FRAPing a few things and I can include that in it so you can see.

Crunch
              That sounds good.

I was just trying to think of ways to play with people that are closer so everyone can get lag free games. Really I am most concerned about lag because my main gaming connection is a stable but slow 1.5Mb/384Kb DSL. I can leech off my brothers cable internet and get the full bandwidth over wifi (8Mb up and down, though it still has the same speed of the 20Mb/10Mb), but the wifi seems to stutter just enough to make playing fps games over it annoying. That is why I will always prefer dedicated servers. I refuse to pay Comcast their anal gaping prices just to have cable internet. I'm waiting for Verizon to install Fios in my neighborhood.

I was thinking that maybe people with fast internet could set up steam group communities of people from certain locations around the world. So like, I live in the North East US, people could join a North East US MW2 community and invite people in the same group to play with them to help minimize the lag.

It sounded good when I first started thinking about it. Now? I'm not so sure. Only way find out those is for people to try it.

Comment

Don't ask me how but one of my clanmates did a 'Add to Group' somehow and we could all join a server at once and be on the same team automaticly. Also if someone is on your steam friends someone can host a private match and invite who he wants. (we had 8 members play together at once yesterday)

Originally posted by CptainCrunch

You can probably also use xfire, but I have not tried that.

Maybe after an update you will be able to but the 'Join Game' icon is grayed out when I've clicked on my clanmates playing.

Comment

Here is the video. I just uploaded it and it is going through processing.

RangerXML helped me out real quick on it. Thanks Ranger!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPreQdXZx88[/media]

Crunch

Comment

As the host of a private match can you boot people out?

Comment

Originally posted by TheEn|gma
                      As the host of a private match can you boot people out?
                      Yes you can, but I only found that at the begining when you see the entire team in the lobby. You can right click on the names and there is a KICK, but in public games it is greyed out.

Crunch

Comment

xfire is not working yet, you can see that someone is playing, but can't join through it.

Comment

Working...
                        X