Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MW enters political view

Parliament in the UK are set to debate the game

Keith Vaz's concern is about one particular level of the game, which involves the gamer deciding whether to kill unarmed civilians. I contacted Activision, and a spokesman pointed out that players encounter a mandatory "checkpoint" before this segment of the game, warning that it contains disturbing elements.
    British politicians have always slamed the gaming industry, along with the tabloids

Re: MW enters political view

Bit late now game goes on sale in less then 8 hours.

Comment

Never say never, they have the power to ban it, released or not, I doubt they will tho, imagine the backlash.

Comment

dont they have enything better to do in ther like the war in Afganistan ?

Comment

Why is it that all the problems are happening in the UK

Stupid Labour...

Comment

Because its such a small country, you cant even punch an idiot like leona lewis in the face without the whole country knowing.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get close to Chris Martin.

Comment

Hehe I'd pay to see that

Comment

Originally posted by groundedzero
                Why is it that all the problems are happening in the UK

Stupid Labour...
                I would be surprised if that kind of behaviour is specific to your current goverment.

Interesting enough, those in favour of banning games etc. are often great fans of a certain book that condone slavery, human sacrifice and genocide

Serious question: It is possible to ban a M-rated game? I dont really see how it is the goverments business what adults watch.
                Maybe you brits should start to take the 5th of november a bit more serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki

Serious question: It is possible to ban a M-rated game? I dont really see how it is the goverments business what adults watch.
                  One word: Manhunt.

Comment

One word: Manhunt.
                    Hmmm? Its rated 3+ here

Ok, maybe not But I can find it in a dozen online stores, and even on steam.
                    Sammenlign priser, læs anmeldelser og brug vores store udvalg af nemme prissammenligningsværktøjer til at hjælpe dig med at finde de bedste tilbud online.

Are you sure its banned in the UK? wiki has this to say:

Legal status
                    New Zealand: The game was declared objectionable on December 11, 2003.[8][14] Possession is an offense.[15]
                    Canada: Following a meeting in Toronto on December 22, 2003 between Bill Hastings, the Chief Censor of New Zealand, and officials from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Business Services, Manhunt became the first computer game in Ontario to be classified as a film and was restricted to adults on February 3, 2004.
                    Australia: It was refused classification (and effectively banned) on September 28, 2004 by the Classification Review Board after having earlier received a classification allowing it to be purchased by those aged 15 years or older.[16]
                    United Kingdom: The game received a BBFC 18 certificate, legally prohibiting its sale to anyone under that age.
                    Germany: On July 19, 2004, the Amtsgericht Munich confiscated all versions of Manhunt for violation of § 131 StGB (representation of violence). The game, the court said, portrays the killing of humans as fun, and the more fun, the more violent the killing is. They also sensed a glorification of vigilantism, which they considered harmful per se.[17]
                    However, apart from Ontario, Manhunt had little or no controversy elsewhere in North America. The British Columbia Film Classification Office reviewed the game after the controversy in Ontario and believed it to be appropriately rated Mature by the ESRB and comparable to an 18A film rather than an R rated one.[18]

Comment

OK. Maybe it wasn't banned in the UK (I didn't know if it was or wasn't TBH) but it was banned in other places, then re-made to be less violent, then released again.

So, answering your previous question, games CAN be banned.

Comment

OK. Maybe it wasn't banned in the UK (I didn't know if it was or wasn't TBH) but it was banned in other places, then re-made to be less violent, then released again.

So, answering your previous question, games CAN be banned.
                        So what? You go to another country in the EU and buy it legally.

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
                          Or you could do that

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
                            And if they was to ban it now, which I doubt being as its already been sold, I'm sure they could in some way force Steam/XBL/PSN to disallow accounts in the UK to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Dan
                              And if they was to ban it now, which I doubt being as its already been sold, I'm sure they could in some way force Steam/XBL/PSN to disallow accounts in the UK to play it.
                              I am sure it is technically possible, but I am also pretty certain that someone will have to pay to refund all those previously legal copies that suddenly becomes useless.

ETA: And I dont see how they will prevent console owners from playing the game offline.

Comment

Working...
                              X