Id Software: Probably No Dedicated Servers for Rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Id Software: Probably No Dedicated Servers for Rage

id Software's John Carmack is mindful of the anger over Modern Warfare 2 dropping dedicated server support. That's why he's glad Infinity Ward is going first, because he plans to do the same thing with Rage.

"It's not cast in stone yet, but at this point no, we don't think we will have dedicated servers," he said, according to Variety. But he's glad "we won't have to be a pioneer on that. We'll see how it works out for everyone else."

News that Infinity Ward was dropping dedicated server support in favor of everyone playing online through its new matchmaking service IWNet touched, off, predictably, a petition-fueled backlash from a PC community that had long used dedicated servers to play Call of Duty games. Carmack, Variety said, indicated the felt the servers are a relic of PC gaming's early days.
    id Software's John Carmack is mindful of the anger over Modern Warfare 2 dropping dedicated server support. That's why he's glad Infinity Ward is going first, because he plans to do the same thing with Rage.

Noice, very noice

Re: Id Software: Probably No Dedicated Servers for Rage

Im not kinda worried that other game companies will follow activion/infinity wards and codemasters lead and drop dedicated servers.

Comment

LoL, if all games start to follow this pathetic trend then I guess I'll be saving a lot of money since I definitely won't be buying games and hardware upgrades anymore.

Comment

Sigh... what horrible timing as well. Going to whine a little bit in the quakelive irc later today

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis
          LoL, if all games start to follow this pathetic trend then I guess I'll be saving a lot of money since I definitely won't be buying games and hardware upgrades anymore.
          I agree, money money money.
          Why doesn't a game just break the trend and therefore you would expect their popularity to rise, i mean for the company what are the benefits of not having dedicated servers?

Comment

MW2 wasn't the first game to have no dedicated servers.

OF: DR was.

Comment

Originally posted by [BFE]TC|DarK'
              OF: DR was.
              Except nobody really thought that would be good anyway

Comment

F.E.A.R. 2 came before OF: DR.
                Hell, MOH: Airborne was well before that.

Comment

Well at least we still have DICE.

Comment

Working...
                  X