2 monitors 1 computer or 2 computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 monitors 1 computer or 2 computers

Hello all, I have a question, well maybe a few questions.

I currently have two computers, one quite a bit faster than the other. I run more then one business, so the ability to always have access to my messengers and support email accounts through OutLook is always needed.

Now I like to game, so should I setup a 2 monitor setup on the faster computer, if I do this can I have access to the desktop on one monitor and have a game running on the other monitor?

Or Link the computers by USB network and use one for my business and editing/messaging, the other for gaming.

Thanks in advance for the help!:yay:

-Doc

Re: 2 monitors 1 computer or 2 computers

If you have dual monitors, you won't be able to access both if you are playing a game. Basically, when you start a game, it maximises to the primary screen and locks the mouse to that (so that the mouse can't travel between screens whilst gaming, as that would be annoying).

You can try running a game in your native resolution, but windowed meaning that it wouldn't keep maximising and minimising, but i'm not sure how this works as I have never done it.

Comment

You can use remote desktop to connect to your business computer from your gaming computer, you will need to have them connected via the NIC card to a router/hub/switch or wireless network. Or use both computers and have dual screens on your gaming machine and a separate monitor on your business machine to make sure you keep them separate. Unless your business is gaming

It will normally come down to your personal preferences on what you feel is comfortable.

Comment

I say 2 computers for Alex's reason. Although some games (WoW for example) don't minimize when you alt-tab while in windowed mode; it stays up like any regular application.

Comment

Isn't there a way to split the game to both monitors if the game supports it? I never had 2 monitors hooked up, so I wouldn't know about any software that makes it possible, but I'm pretty sure Crysis, L4D, WoW and some RTS games can be played this way.

Maybe someone here on TGN has this kind of set up.

Comment

I've never tried this but, guess for accross two monitors: set the Desktop display to split screen, using the ATI/Nvidia tools, this wouldn't work with games if your doubling the res [no stretch?].

Comment

Does running a second put much extra strain on the GPU?/affect your FPS by having a second one just on the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by [GCA]Tim270
                Does running a second put much extra strain on the GPU?/affect your FPS by having a second one just on the desktop?
                What, when the other monitor is just on desktop?

Comment

WiC kind of supports dual monitors, iirc. It never quite worked for me... (To whoever was asking about games running on two monitors)

Comment

Originally posted by [GCA]Tim270
                    Slight extra resourse, not worth bothering about though.

Comment

i would go 2 computers...one for gaming one for work. it is so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKirk
                        WiC kind of supports dual monitors, iirc. It never quite worked for me... (To whoever was asking about games running on two monitors)
                        Could only open the mega map on it though and yeah I had issues with it. Think they made it better in a patch though.

Comment

I run dual monitors and really like it. It's perfect for video editing (that I do a lot of), and it's convenient having the Win7 sidebar on your secondary monitor so you can see the time and what's on TV when you're ingame.

If you game you can have vent/mumble/ts up so it's easy to see what room you're in and who you're talking to. If I'm downloading something through firefox or torrents I can have it on the secondary monitor so I can see the download progress while I do other things. I can have irc/steam chats open on one monitor so I don't have to minimize/maximize a crapload of windows all the time.

It doesn't take much extra resources at all, not noticeable at least. Pretty handy, if you remember to use it

Comment

I personally say two computers, never mix business with pleasure so to speak. I have read (notice I said read and not understood) that you can run 360 degree video (4 monitors) using ATI video cards/chipset. I am assuming that the game would have to have support to be able to do that. I must say I am tempted to try it as there are 4 22" monitors in the house. I am just picturing flying around in BF2 with a realistic 360 degree cockpit.

Comment

I high jacked my brother monitor and messed around with it. I couldn't get most games to run across both screens even tho they are both 24" WUXGA. WIC worked across monitors. I can't figure out how to get Crysis to work even tho I seen many times that it has been done. I have also seen PB screen shots of a dual monitor resolution Left 4 Dead, but that's a mystery to me as well. While running 2 monitors while in game and you got your desktop on 1 and the game on the other you wont be able to access the other monitor easily. It helps to look at programs like vent or whatever you migh think of, but IMO it's useless since you have to alt tab anyhow to tweak anything, at least that is my experience.

A KVM switch and two computers might be better. Unless more games in the future support dual monitor set ups.

Comment

Working...
                              X