shock paddles and the revive system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shock paddles and the revive system

should shock paddles be able to revive such a wide range of kill types?

i for one think a guy with a .50 cal in his brains shouldn't be able to be revived by shock paddles. does the shock paddle suck out the bullet and put his brain together or something? :laugh:

i think if you get hit by a sniper rifle in the head, you should be just killed and unrevivable. i mean one guy can get headshotted number of times but if there's a medic around, he could basically come out with 0 deaths.

and other obvious deaths include:

falling off a tall building
    getting hit with bombs/missiles from the air, tank shells, any other high caliber bullets from vehicles like gunships.

and a revolutionary idea: limit the # of times a guy can get revived. if a guy gets killed a bunch of times, shouldn't his body be so ravaged that he shouldn't be revivable?

and on the other hand, don't let us be unrevivable if we get killed while climbing a ladder. why is it you can get sniped in the head and live, but you get hit in your legs while using a ladder and you're not revivable? (i know the answer, but still).

share your thought on the revive system as it has been the recent games and how it can be improved.

Re: shock paddles and the revive system

I think it would be cool to see this in another game somewhere down the line...

Once a player is revived, he will be venerable but won't get up automatically; he will lie in mostly the same position as before, only breathing (chest visibly moves up and down). He can be killed from this state and potentially revived again (to the same state), but neither will count for points or stats. To get up a button is pressed and an animation lasting 2 seconds or so of the soldier getting to his feet will begin. The player will be be unable to fire or move around during this time, so cover fire is a must. There should be a window of opportunity of around 30 seconds after being revived to get up, so a person cannot play "dead" for the whole round.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugerdog
      I think it would be cool to see this...

Once a player is revived, he will be venerable but won't get up automatically; he will lie in mostly the same position as before, only breathing (chest visibly moves up and down). He can be killed from this state and potentially revived again (to the same state), but neither will count for points or stats. To get up a button is pressed and an animation lasting 2 seconds or so of the soldier getting to his feet will begin. The player will be be unable to fire or move around during this time, so cover fire is a must. There should be a window of opportunity of around 30 seconds after being revived to get up, so a person cannot play "dead" for the whole round.
      That's a nice idea but I think there would be extremely few that actually enjoy a game mechanic like that... revive should mean that you're back in the action immediately or people are going to prefer not being revived at all.

Comment

lol rugerdog, that's too extreme. we already saw sorta how the revive works in bc2 from the videos, my suggestions were merely make a more distinct separation between the revivable and unrevivable deaths and to limit the # of times one can be revived in 1 life.

Comment

Oops, haha I meant that as in another game somewhere down the line. I think the Battlefield system is fine. Don't screw with what works I say.

Comment

Fair point on realistic revivability, but what is realistic about when you do die, you're back in action 15 seconds later (albeit back at a spawn point or squad leader). I mean, what is that, reincarnation?

Compared to COD and the like, BF2 is quite complicated as it is, what with squads, voip etc. You only have a few seconds to get to your team mate to revive him, switch to paddles, revive, back to primary weapon, all without being killed yourself.

I don't disagree with a bit of variation on the death thing, but hopefully not too complex. After all, it is an arcade shooter not Dr Kildare's Day Out.

Comment

They could just make it like MAG so that head shots and explosions (rpg's, tanks shells, building blowing up)/grenades are un-reviveable. Everything else you can be revived from. That would suit me fine. If you try and make it too complicated then it will ineveitably spoil the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindManOnTour
                Fair point on realistic revivability, but what is realistic about when you do die, you're back in action 15 seconds later (albeit back at a spawn point or squad leader). I mean, what is that, reincarnation?
                Respawns simulate reinforcements from the rear. We even do that in training in RL. You "die," go to the PHA (Personnel Holding Area), then return to your unit the next day. Depending on your MOS, you might have to stay out for longer if there is a shortage. (Like mine)

Comment

There should be a long preparing time before the paddles are charged so you wont just run in the open and when you see bodies you revive them on the sprint.

And 1 revive max, would also remove stat padding... would be so much better but I dont think it has crossed their mind.

Comment

You should only get a point for reviving if that's the first time you revived the guy in that 'life' (without him respawning). 2142 does something like this. I think the BF2/2142 recharge system is fine. If you die more than x times in y seconds you should go unrevivable and get a shortened spawn time.

Originally posted by BrokenMachine
                    They could just make it like MAG so that head shots and explosions (rpg's, tanks shells, building blowing up)/grenades are un-reviveable. Everything else you can be revived from. That would suit me fine. If you try and make it too complicated then it will ineveitably spoil the fun.
                    2142 also does that, deaths from some vehicle and antitank weapons are unrevivable.

Originally posted by Leopardi
                    There should be a long preparing time before the paddles are charged so you wont just run in the open and when you see bodies you revive them on the sprint.
                    BC2 looks pretty fast paced, I think anything longer than the paddle rubbing animation in BF2 would just frustrate people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                      You should only get a point for reviving if that's the first time you revived the guy in that 'life' (without him respawning). 2142 does something like this.

2142 also does that, deaths from some vehicle and antitank weapons are unrevivable.
                      no, 2142 doesn't do that. you can get infinite amounts of revive points.

and regarding vehicles, some vehicles deaths are revivable. like tank shell splash kills are revivable, and even some APC mortar kills are revivable. but yeah, the AT rockets are instant death i think, not sure about from a distance. rorsch kills are instant kills but at a range, they are revivable.

i always liked the gib system employed by RtCW. you kill the guy but he is revivable. however, if you proceed to pump more bullets into the downed body or stabb it, or even blow it up with an explosive, then he's done. and of course if he's killed by a grenade or a panzerfaust, he's just blown to bits so he's done as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                        no, 2142 doesn't do that. you can get infinite amounts of revive points.
                        It doesn't give you points for every single revive, at least. If you revive the same guy twice quickly you don't get points for both revives.

Comment

small 4v4 or 5v5 inf matches in 2142 were a joke because of the flawed revive system, a team could just run around with their paddles ready and sit in the open getting shot, while reviving each other, until the other team runs out of ammo.

Comment

shot in head, vital organs, should be death, shot in limbs shouldn't.

Comment

Now you are complicating the game too much. This is not a doctor game get your PHd in medicine game. This is a combat game. Yeah I can sure imagine myself cutting open somebody's organs while bullets fly around me...yeah, great.

Comment

Working...
                              X