Weird rank bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird rank bug

I was playing the other night and was about 1000 points short of Brig Gen. I logged into a new server and my player came up with having the lowest rank. Now this has happened before - going back to BF2 days - and I always just figured it was a little bug and no big deal.

As I play, I start picking up some of the basic badges that I've already received. Again, this has happened before and I always thought it got sorted out by the stats servers later. After a while though I picked up one of the big point ribbons - forget which one.

Next thing I know, however, I get my Brig Gen promotion. So not only was I picking up badges that I've already received, but apparently I was getting credited for the points as well.

Again, I figured this was an in-game thing and it would all get sorted out later - nope. I obviously got credit for all of those points from badges that I had already received.

Now that was strange.

Re: Weird rank bug

It's called the "recruit bug". Basically, the server lost contact with the EA master server and has no choice but to give you a recruit rank for lack of knowing anything else. Interestingly, you usually have access to all your unlocks nonetheless. This also causes the server to re-award stuff to you since it doesn't know you already got 'em.

Comment

it happens a lot.

Comment

Ehehe, Private to Brig Gen in one jump.

I'll start calling you Prince Andrew.

Comment

Like I said, it has happened to be before. I just never realized that you got to keep the points you earned from the "new" awards.

Comment

i noticed sometimes you get the points, sometimes you dont. weird.

Comment

i have to agree w/ rafterman on this one. even though the private bug has been part of this game from day one, i thought they stopped the points from being awarded. for the first few months to a year, the points counted. the last 2 years or so, even when i get the private bug, i never get the points for duplicate awards. only the date earned changes. this can also help some attain decay ranks because of the date earned being updated.

Comment

Guess I got lucky.

Being a Brig Gen and $3.50 will get you a latte at Starbucks.

Comment

With my 2nd soldier I got the private bug some days after I graduated to BG recently. In fact I got it twice after each other (Timeless Titan Server) allowing me to receive approx. 6000 (sic!) extra points. Low and behold the next week I was promoted to Lieutenant General. I believe that's only possible for ppl who got recently promoted to BG, as I had that bug before and a lot of points with my first soldier, but I played more than 500 hrs with that when it happened and nothing happened.

Result was I got a lot of hack complaints (LG are all hackers by definition, right?) and a lot of ppl trying to knife me which I happily accepted as I like a knife duell and got most of their tags.

Comment

Originally posted by l33tfodder
                    With my 2nd soldier I got the private bug some days after I graduated to BG recently. In fact I got it twice after each other (Timeless Titan Server) allowing me to receive approx. 6000 (sic!) extra points. Low and behold the next week I was promoted to Lieutenant General. I believe that's only possible for ppl who got recently promoted to BG, as I had that bug before and a lot of points with my first soldier, but I played more than 500 hrs with that when it happened and nothing happened.

Result was I got a lot of hack complaints (LG are all hackers by definition, right?) and a lot of ppl trying to knife me which I happily accepted as I like a knife duell and got most of their tags.
                    for some reason players seem to have the best luck getting into the decay ranks within the first week or so after becoming a brig general. i can see the hack complaints. not all, but many of those who hold decay ranks these days are the padders. although, it's no reason to blindly accuse. glad to hear you came out on top more times than not :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by fatmooseknuckle
                      for some reason players seem to have the best luck getting into the decay ranks within the first week or so after becoming a brig general. i can see the hack complaints. not all, but many of those who hold decay ranks these days are the padders. although, it's no reason to blindly accuse. glad to hear you came out on top more times than not :thumbsup:
                      Hope to come across you as well Moose, even now I'm no LG or MG anymore. I'm sure it won't be as easy with you as with the others though... :salute:

Comment

Working...
                      X