Wireless Gaming With BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Gaming With BF2

So my college doesnt have any jacks for us to be wired to the internet with out PCs and we have to use wireless. I noticed when trying to play BF2 my ping went from 85 to 256 and kept jumping every couple of mins like that. What can i do buy should do anything so i can game on BF2 and not have all these issues.

Re: Wireless Gaming With BF2

to play bf2 on wireless, the best is to have windows XP and 100% signal. Do you have that?

Comment

Vista and 3 out of 5 bars

Comment

get rid of interference? i used to be wi-fi a while back but went back to wired because of random disconnects and interference problems. it made a big difference for me.

Comment

I want to get off the wireless here so i can game. Im at my college and i have emailed around the school and from what they have told the students, They do not have a place where you can plug into the internet in the dorm rooms. Its all wireless. I in my new PC never had a wireless card so i haf to go to walmart and buy this

why did i go to walmart you ask? Cause im going to college in northern maine and thats all they have lol. Anyways what can i do? They have 3 models of wireless usb things and i bought the cheapest one. Would one for more money work better? Anyway i can cheat the system or the internet here so i can play bf2?

Comment

ok buddy, I have bad news: I have the same problem as you and have never been able to fix it. They way vista handles wireless means you will almost always have ping spikes. Some people manage to play without the lag spikes, some don't. You can try software called Vista Anti Lag (VAL) but it doesn't work for everyone. Some people have managed to fix the problem by using XP drivers for their wireless card.

Comment

I know on XP I had that exact same ping fluctuation problem. I dont know ifthe same can be done on Vista that I did but here is what I did to fix it.

Run-Services.msc

Scroll donw untill you see Wireless Zero Config right click and stop that service.

Stable ping is on the way. Everytime you restart your computer you will have to stop the service again. Windows must have it at startup or I dont think you will see any APs.

Comment

Originally posted by [1SMB]W|Pfc.Shoxie
                I know on XP I had that exact same ping fluctuation problem. I dont know ifthe same can be done on Vista that I did but here is what I did to fix it.

Run-Services.msc

Scroll donw untill you see Wireless Zero Config right click and stop that service.

Stable ping is on the way. Everytime you restart your computer you will have to stop the service again. Windows must have it at startup or I dont think you will see any APs.
                That's the problem with Vista; if you stop the equivalent of zero config, you have to manually reconnect to the network each time you boot into windows. But true, it will work and kill the ping spikes, if you're ready to put up with entering the network key each time:

Comment

for a desktop PC, those usb ones probably don't have that great of an antenna.

you might have a little better connection using a pci card type.

Also a suggestion is to play on servers that have the lowest ping possible. a good utility to find those servers is Qtracker
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanDad
                    That's the problem with Vista; if you stop the equivalent of zero config, you have to manually reconnect to the network each time you boot into windows. But true, it will work and kill the ping spikes, if you're ready to put up with entering the network key each time:
                    Yeah im down with that as long as the game will work

Comment

Ok - by the way, this is assuming you're able to play without problems with a cable, which I know you can't verify - so there's a risk you might still have problems after doing what follows, if the ping spikes are caused by another reason, although my suspicions are with Vista's wireless interface.

So, if you disable Vista's wireless manager (known as WLAN AUTOCONFIG), you're gonna need to download and install the drivers for your current wireless adapter otherwise you won't be able to connect to the internet.

Before you start, make sure you have plenty of hard drive space and create a restore point (post back if you don't know how to). Make a note of the wireless network name and the password.

Find out your wireless card brand and model and download the drivers for it (post back if you don't know how to do that). Don't install them, just keep them on your hard drive for now.

Now go to Start and type "msconfig" without the quote marks and press Enter.

This brings up a window. Go to the Services tab and scroll down until you find WLAN AutoConfig. This box should be ticked, now untick it and press OK.

Restart your computer. When you boot back into Windows, you won't be able to connect to the internet because your wireless card won't know how to since we disabled WLAN AutoConfig. This is where you install the drivers you downloaded earlier.

If at any time you have a little pop-up box or other window offering for windows to manage the wireless connections, say no. Keep on with the installation and eventually, you will be back online. Keep your fingers crossed and pray you don't have ping spikes.

Comment

Working...
                      X