Something I wrote 3 years ago that still holds true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I wrote 3 years ago that still holds true

Background: Because of my summer visit to my family, I have been unable to play Battlefield 2 for the past two months or so. With the release of the 1.5 update, specifically the changes between F-35 vs. J-10, I got this refreshing feeling I had 3 years ago that I wrote about which I found digging through my old memory stick.

Anyways, I thought the writing was beautiful* which made me wonder how much I was addicted to this game. What amazed me was that it seemed to reflect well during the 1.40/1.41 era of this game despite being written 3 years before.

Look at what you are wearing. What was it first like when you wore it? It was comfortable from cotton untouched by body oils, cotton processed fresh from factory with no contact other than by cold steel picks and from other shirts. The shirt had that clean Wal-mart smell, with the wieght that is unlike of any shirt you had during purchase. When you first wore it, you felt new, more human, more optimisitic, more secure, with a new perspective to the work that was ahead of you. At least for me. Then months later, you look at yourself with the very same shirt on the mirror, you notice that the picture on it displays cracks, the shirt's now shrunk, wrinkled, and dull, it's too light, and it's too loose. You feel old, used, cold like the ocean air, and more importantly, void of all optimism.

I felt the same with Battlefield 2. But before I go on, for the record, I still play Battlefield 2, still believe it is the best multiplayer game, still immersive, fun, and enjoyable with no sign of demise. And yet, I felt I had lost the same optimism and a thing or idea from this game (explained later). No more did I felt optimistic and estactic from playing BF2, I no longer smiled when I destroyed a column of armors with the Su-34, I no longer jumped from my chair when a full-scale battle took place, I no longer even tried to shut my mouth when the round turned sour because I don't speak of it. Not because of the game itself, not because of EA/Dice, and certainly not the community (one of the best there is actually). But instead, the cause is from myself, I lamented and sighed at the potentials and possibilities of BF2 that would never manifest, I kept a sharp eye on shadow glitches, upset for having only one gameplay mode, wishing [vehicles, weapons, maps] would be more of [this and that] with [this or this]. Battlefield was no longer bright like polychromatic colors of the raindow, but red, blue, and green: I play, kill, capture flag, check stat, and logout. I could no longer enjoy the community as it was back in July. Heck, I was more than delighted to dwell with the community and would even compete with my huge addiction to Battlefield 2. But the atmosphere changed with a different weather: No sunshine, but full of rainless clouds with few streaks of light appearing. I feel the community is in the same state, the tone and atmosphere here is a bit depressing full of complaints, emotional outcries, and senseless flames against the game.

Then I remembered the past, the day in which I was one of the millions that waited for BF2 demo at Gamespot's Gamecenter, being fooled into hoax site latent with Dark Vader's infamous outcry. I remembered how I lifelessly played Gulf of Oman, even for one map, I enjoyed it, I enjoyed every single kill, I giggled when I bombed a flag racking a kill of one infantry, I enjoyed the simple interface of all vehicles, and I gained pride and satisfaction when my team wins with me as commander...enough to create the Commander Guide in the Tips & Tricks section. Next played Battlefield 2 Retail. The features, the maps, and the content was more than my self-control could handle. Bring an obese man unaware of his body to the Hershey's chocolate factory and you'll visually learn how powerful this lust was. Like almost everyone here, I played it zealously, ignorant of the glitches, chuckling and dismissing the bugs that now fustrates us today, and for me, become an aircraft whore . Ah yes, Battlefield 2 was the best game for me and I believed it would never be ousted than by its own sequel.

Remembering this, the idea or thing that Battlefield 2 now lacked for that was robbed by myself is now back. This idea or thing is an emotion that I cannot say in words, but it's a synthetic product of happiness, cherishment, and the grief of other players that just got bombed from my aircraft. The game I am playing now is still the game I played back in June. Screw the problems, bugs, and glitches: They don't ruin the game for me. Forget the rants and whines: They only tarnish my game even though I don't rant on it nor have problems with it. Ignore few users and groups announcing their leave or boycott: More server slots for me and others while being able to have a bit more peace in the community. And on BF2's first birthday, I'll be playing Gulf of Oman 32 player only.
    I think the last paragraph was corny IMO

*Honestly, this thing seems like it was written by a high school student writing an essay for a college application which was indeed what I was doing 3 years ago. I no longer write like this thankfully.

Re: Something I wrote 3 years ago that still holds true

Still Is the best game I have ever played I guess, the execution of the idea of the game is very well done and the replay value is limitless. Screw all the bugs and the people who whine about them and how they are still outraged by EA its still an amazing game.

Comment

OP, I actually read all of that story, and I feel the same way. When I first bought the game, it felt crisp, it felt suave. I remember loading up Wake Island for the very first time, the joy from looking at the loading screen of Wake was unimaginable. But as time goes along, new games come out, making 2 look a bit old, a bit tired. I took a good year and a half away from battlefield 2, playing other damned games like 2142 and CoD4. But only when I went back to 2, did I realise how immersive the game is. You can play for 1000's of hours yet, nothing can live up to the full on Armored Battles of Daquing, nothing can compare to the infantry battles of the Karkand.

It takes a stint of playing other supposed great games for you to realise that Battlefield 2, despite it's old wrinkled, loose, light shirt. Is still to best friggin shirt in the store.

=MNKY= Frosty

Comment

Its the most enjoyment I have ever gotten from an online FPS

I remember when the demo came out, net was **** back then but I still downloaded it and loved it from the start, I remember going into town on release day to buy it. As time went on I sort of lost faith in the game a bit, patches, bugs, annoyances but after I stopped playing it I realised that it was pretty much the closest I could get to what my idea of my favourite shooter would be (enjoyed 2142, but it didn't have the BF2 feel for me)

I think for a lot of people when you get a game like Battlefield, in terms of its scope everyone always wishes for that little bit more even in tiny details, one more unlock, one more type of vehicle like you said the potential possibilities.

But I always made sure I remembered that the chances of pleasing everybody was 0 and that BF2 was the best god dam online FPS I ever played, even if I could always think of something to change it worked how it was (most of the time) was brilliant to play and did a hell of a lot more than other games.

The idea of BF3 already has me dribbling

Comment

Can you summarize it in one sentence?

Comment

^ lol +1

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Killer
              Background: Because of my summer visit to my family, I have been unable to play Battlefield 2 for the past two months or so. With the release of the 1.5 update, specifically the changes between F-35 vs. J-10, I got this refreshing feeling I had 3 years ago that I wrote about which I found digging through my old memory stick.

Anyways, I thought the writing was beautiful* which made me wonder how much I was addicted to this game. What amazed me was that it seemed to reflect well during the 1.40/1.41 era of this game despite being written 3 years before.

I think the last paragraph was corny IMO

*Honestly, this thing seems like it was written by a high school student writing an essay for a college application which was indeed what I was doing 3 years ago. I no longer write like this thankfully.
              U need a girlfriend bro

Comment

Working...
              X