Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are the odds?

Originally posted by Skates
    Wolf, if we could find another 40 people that think like you do, I'd gladly run one of our servers as conquest with maps like Verdun and Shuhia, which is still my favorite. But I'm afraid it would be just the two of us in the server.
    Yeah, pure vehicle maps never really caught on in BF2142. For a while there was a 24/7 Sidi conquest server that I played religiously until it closed (that was about two years ago though) and of course the aforementioned Tampa server. At least the NfB and TRR people I've played with are great guys which makes Gib more tolerable, but I just CBA to reinstall the game knowing there's so little variety in map choices. Not to mention the BF2 1.5 patch they released yesterday came with 7 additional maps (8 in total as Tampa was optional before), 6 of which are vehicle-centric, and there are a few servers that run a full map rotation that are always populated.

Not that BF2 is a shining example, though, since there are so many 24/7 IO Karkand and Jalalabad servers, but at least I know there are some servers running vehicle maps. Hopefully BF3 will be more well-rounded, but I guess it still depends on the playerbase and what they want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfAlmighty
      Hopefully BF3 will be more well-rounded, but I guess it still depends on the playerbase and what they want to play.
      Very true. I am hoping that the new map that comes with the patch will have enough vehicles to play with and won't immediately be trashed by the community. But that may be too much to ask for.:shakehead:

Comment

Skates, that's the first thing i thought of when i heard about the 1.5 for bf2. i think that's the "surprise" to which they've been eluding.

@ wolf, we still keep verdun 16 i/o in the city map rotation. that's one of my fav's. only complaint is it goes to fast, but i just LOVE the urban combat feel.

Comment

It would be nice if they were to release NS along with the next patch, although NS was far more popular to BF2142 than AF and EF were to BF2 simply because of the extra unlocks so I don't think it would have quite the same impact. But my BF2142 soldier has 49/50 unlocks, the last being the SL-RPU which I cannot unlock because NS decided not to activate properly. I can play the maps, but I can't get that last unlock, even though I have the unlock point available. I'd imagine that making NS available to everyone would fix that problem, but it's not a big deal for me since I'm not big on being a squad leader.

As for IO, I'm not a big fan. Berlin was the only map I ever played IO in both BF2 and BF2142 and while if there was ever to be a map that deserved to be IO it was Berlin, it just doesn't feel like Battlefield without vehicles. I seldom even use armour on city maps myself, but it feels empty without them there. My ideal BF is big maps with lots of vehicles to duke it out while still leaving things for infantry to do. Many of BF2's maps are that way, and so are the five BF2142 vehicle maps that nobody plays on conquest.

Comment

The way to get that unlock working is to log in on another computer then go to bfhq and select the unlock.

Comment

As for IO, I'm not a big fan. Berlin was the only map I ever played IO in both BF2 and BF2142 and while if there was ever to be a map that deserved to be IO it was Berlin, it just doesn't feel like Battlefield without vehicles. I seldom even use armour on city maps myself, but it feels empty without them there. My ideal BF is big maps with lots of vehicles to duke it out while still leaving things for infantry to do. Many of BF2's maps are that way, and so are the five BF2142 vehicle maps that nobody plays on conquest.
              2142 appealed and still appeals to me because I can play as infantry without getting steam-rolled by vehicles. Port Bavaria is an especially fun map to play infantry on, lots of vehicles yes, but lots of places for infantry to duke it out. Best Battlefield map by a long shot in my opinion. I never really use vehicles (my stats are proof of that) but I certainly don't like IO servers. Avoiding vehicles and cosily duking it out with other infantry at the same time is part of the fun.

Comment

My ideal BF is big maps with lots of vehicles to duke it out while still leaving things for infantry to do. Many of BF2's maps are that way, and so are the five BF2142 vehicle maps that nobody plays on conquest.
                sounds like someone needs some shuhia taiba, sidi power plant, suez & verdun in conquest....

i enjoy those in moderation. my biggest prob w/ those huge maps is that you're either in the fight or your not. and when you're not, it's a mile long hike of huffing & puffing, only to get killed by a random gunship flyby. then start all over. what i'm getting at, is it's not always action packed. that's personally what attracts me to conquest.

Comment

Originally posted by fatmooseknuckle
                  sounds like someone needs some shuhia taiba, sidi power plant, suez & verdun in conquest....

i enjoy those in moderation. my biggest prob w/ those huge maps is that you're either in the fight or your not. and when you're not, it's a mile long hike of huffing & puffing, only to get killed by a random gunship flyby. then start all over. what i'm getting at, is it's not always action packed. that's personally what attracts me to conquest.
                  True, but normally there is no shortage of transportation, whether dropships or fast movers or even APCs, to get you to (or behind) the front lines. It also allows for more 'sneaky' gameplay since unlike city maps or the cluster**** some refer to as 'Titan Combat' one single UAV or IDS can't cover half the map. It also means no nade, PK, and APM spam because there are no giant chokepoints like a Titan corridor or hallway/doorway (Ruins/Central Camp) that the entire enemy team must pass through to advance*.

Plus, there's a greater need for kits other than Assault (although I realise I'm not exactly speaking to the right person with regards to sneaky gameplay and playing something other than Assault here since you already do both well enough on city maps :thumbsup: ) so you won't see 80% of the other team PKing, Voss/Krylov-ing, and rezzing everything that moves. The best thing to stop an all-assault squad is a couple of pieces of armour, but that balance is lacking in city maps, and completely nonexistent in IO.

*The exception being Minsk Conquest. That map is a farce.

Comment

Minsk Conquest. That map is a farce.
                    worse chokepoint map made. honestly can't stand that map.

Comment

yea we need a server for all those maps not run enough. yes even minsk conquest. i think i only played it like a dozen times. the maps not horribly choking if you take the gunship and taxi squad leaders to the backflags.

Comment

ever tried misnk inf only 3v3? that is awesome, you expect it to be boring but it involves a lot of tactics, positioning, long range covering fire, and short range shootouts.

Comment

I know one person that likes it, but I'll never understand why. Like Minmaster alluded to your only shot is getting a squadleader ferried over past the front lines in the gunship, otherwise it's just the PAC running into an EU meatgrinder. To be fair, though, it's not the worst chokepoint map in the BF series (though certainly the worst in BF2142). That distinction would have to go to Reclaiming Hue and its notorious Bridge of Death, where the ARVN has to essentially single-file down a bridge which is overlooked by NVA snipers and AT guys (ARVN gets a tank, but big whoop since NVA always puts mines at the end of the bridge which the tank has to drive over to get through) because they only start out with the one uncappable flag while the NVA controls the rest of the points in the city. You know what Camp Gibraltar's like when the EU has lost everything but their main? Imagine that, except the only point of exit from the base is that small catwalk to the west and the PAC just sits outside it waiting for the EU to walk out and get slaughtered. Yeah, it's kind of like that. :dead:

Originally posted by sempf
                          ever tried misnk inf only 3v3? that is awesome, you expect it to be boring but it involves a lot of tactics, positioning, long range covering fire, and short range shootouts.
                          I'm sure it is, but what does a 3v3 infantry only map have to do with a 32v32 vehicle map?

Comment

minsk is a exelent inf only map some big conquest maps make exelent inf only fights too, but it is a shame nobody likes that way of fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane
                              That was one of the main reasons I was not interested in NS: if nobody else bought it, I'd be left with a mostly useless booster pack.

Then I found out I could get NS unlocks as field upgrades. Just then, I became even less interested in the pack.

And then I read several posts about BF2142 failing to work properly after the NS installation. That pretty much finished the job.

It may be 10 bucks but I honestly would rather spend it elsewhere. If I was gonna apply that "it's just 10$" philosophy everywhere, I'd be pretty ****in' poor at the moment.

Makes me happy FCW is a pretty popular server then.

Comment

Yep, put a couple of transporters in front of the gates pumping relentlessly motars into the trenches, let the walkers and tanks do the rest. Very boring :bebored::sleepy:

Comment

Working...
                                X