What are the odds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the odds?

So, with them releasing 1.50 for BF2 and including the booster packs for free. What do you think the odds of them including NS if/when they release 1.50 for BF2142? I would love to run those maps in a regular rotation, but too many people still wouldn't pay the $10 for NS so you lose a third of the server.

Re: What are the odds?

Wasn't there meant to be another 2142 patch, but it was put on the back burner?

Comment

When I do fire up 2142 these days I play the new maps pretty much exclusively. Operation Shingle, Tampa, Bavaria. Leipzig and Bridge.

I can't believe there are people so miserly that they won't fork out £5 for some of the best maps in the game

If they do make the maps available all to the good but I'd rather they kept the NS unlocks for the people who paid.

Comment

Somehow, I get the idea adding extra maps is counterproductive to one's reputation.

Basically, whenever new maps are introduced into a game, everyone and their mother go "Wow this map sucks, [insert company here] is laughing in our faces."

Check out the reactions to every TF2 update - it's like a rage factory despite the fact that the number of official maps has more than doubled since the initial release.

Imagine the reactions if people who bought NS get told that it's now available free. It's only the normal course of business but I'm certain the amount of rage generated will be phenomenal.

Besides, what good are the NS maps going to be when the game is really a glorified Camp Gib demo for most players anyway? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane
          Somehow, I get the idea adding extra maps is counterproductive to one's reputation.

Basically, whenever new maps are introduced into a game, everyone and their mother go "Wow this map sucks, [insert company here] is laughing in our faces."

Check out the reactions to every TF2 update - it's like a rage factory despite the fact that the number of official maps has more than doubled since the initial release.

Imagine the reactions if people who bought NS get told that it's now available free. It's only the normal course of business but I'm certain the amount of rage generated will be phenomenal.

Besides, what good are the NS maps going to be when the game is really a glorified Camp Gib demo for most players anyway? :P
          It doesn't really matter what you do, the PC market will never be happy

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
            Wasn't there meant to be another 2142 patch, but it was put on the back burner?
            Yes, there is supposed to be another patch that introduces one additional map. EA's pattern has been that they work on and release the BF2 patch and then shortly after that they release the beta of the BF2142 patch. Hopefully that holds true and we see something about the new patch soon.

Originally posted by TrooperJac
            I can't believe there are people so miserly that they won't fork out £5 for some of the best maps in the game

If they do make the maps available all to the good but I'd rather they kept the NS unlocks for the people who paid.
            Originally posted by Shurikane

For some reason people didn't want to pay the money. I have no idea why. All they have to do is skip that combo meal a couple days and they'll have the money. I bought NS when it came out and I have wished for a long time that they would just release it for everyone, unlocks and all. I would rather be able to run servers with Gib/Leipzig/Bavaria on one and Suez/Remagen Titan on another and have everyone able to stay on the server, then worry about who didn't have to pay the $10 I did.

Comment

That was one of the main reasons I was not interested in NS: if nobody else bought it, I'd be left with a mostly useless booster pack.

Then I found out I could get NS unlocks as field upgrades. Just then, I became even less interested in the pack.

And then I read several posts about BF2142 failing to work properly after the NS installation. That pretty much finished the job.

It may be 10 bucks but I honestly would rather spend it elsewhere. If I was gonna apply that "it's just 10$" philosophy everywhere, I'd be pretty ****in' poor at the moment.

Comment

Instead of Bridge at Remagen, Liberation of Leipzig, and Port Bavaria, they should have named the NS maps Camp Gibralter, Camp Gabraltar, and Camp Gebralter and it would have sold like hotcakes.

Comment

Well, I bought Northern Strike, but I certainly won't complain if it's given away for free. In fact, I'll be delighted. Until the past month I wasn't suffering from the Camp Gibraltar syndrome, and could play on a nice variety of maps, but times have changed! Now its Gibraltar, Belgrade, and Cerbere, with an occasional Berlin thrown in, and that's it! And no Titan maps whatsoever! Of course, I mean servers with a decent ping. I can look longingly at servers with an interesting mix of maps at a ping of 300 or more!

So if giving the booster pack away free means a little more variety then I'm all for it! No rage here!

Comment

Well I paid $10 for NS. I've gotten at least 50 hours(?) of entertainment out of it. That's 20cents per hour for entertainment? Quality expense, and I'm not envious if they release it for free because it'll help the community.

No hatin' here. And $10 for a booster in a game I love? Cheap.

Comment

if they do make it free, i hope they add a non-assault line, just plain conquest mode. i think goliaths are lame and making the whole match centered around goliath is lame.

i want to play a plain conquest round on the NS maps without everyone worrying about goliaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                        if they do make it free, i hope they add a non-assault line, just plain conquest mode. i think goliaths are lame and making the whole match centered around goliath is lame.

i want to play a plain conquest round on the NS maps without everyone worrying about goliaths.
                        Take away the Goliath and give both sides Hachi's.

Comment

Originally posted by Skates
                          Take away the Goliath and give both sides Hachi's.
                          That would be awesome. Hachi's TV missiles are just too much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin
                            Well, I bought Northern Strike, but I certainly won't complain if it's given away for free. In fact, I'll be delighted. Until the past month I wasn't suffering from the Camp Gibraltar syndrome, and could play on a nice variety of maps, but times have changed! Now its Gibraltar, Belgrade, and Cerbere, with an occasional Berlin thrown in, and that's it! And no Titan maps whatsoever!
                            How do you think I feel? I don't even like Titan games, nor am I fond of almost pure-infantry maps either. For me it's all about vehicle conquest and absolutely NO servers run those maps. Most are city (and most of those are 24/7 Gib) and the ones that do vehicle maps are all Titan, which is like half a round of fun vehicle combat and half a round of lag and explosives spam. I used to play on Moongamer's 24/7 Tampa conquest but nowadays that's almost impossible to populate past 50% and when it does you're lucky to get a round or two in before the server crashes and you're back to square 1. I haven't even bothered to install BF2142 on my new rig and have gone back to exclusively playing BF2. The aircraft and arty may be a ***** to deal with, but at least I get some gameplay and map variety.

Comment

Wolf, if we could find another 40 people that think like you do, I'd gladly run one of our servers as conquest with maps like Verdun and Shuhia, which is still my favorite. But I'm afraid it would be just the two of us in the server.

Comment

Working...
                              X