HDTV, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HDTV, worth it?

Well...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! Thanks for all of the advice, my wife and I bought a setup yesterday.

We went with:
    -46" Samsung LED LCD TV...if you haven't seen an LED in action, do eet!
    -5.1 Samsung surround sound system
    -The best Monster HDMI cable
    -Digital Optical Cable

Also, we saved about $312 off everything. When Best Buy gives you a package deal, they take off some money since you're buying a lot from them, never be afraid to ask for more off even after that.

AND WOW! I fired up BF1943, I could now read the text in that first box that pops up, I could now see the scoreboard, feeling the controller shake along with the house from the subwoofer....well, egasm right there. I am definitely going to give FPS games a chance on my console now. I may rent CoD:WaW just to see for a game I like on the PC. However, even it's still no FPS games on console for me from here on out, it's amazing! And a DVD looked amazing, but I haven't got to watch a blu-ray movie yet. I'm off to test it out more as I've been out doing stuff all day today. :yay:

Comment

Damnit, I didn't see your post ... first post on this page... fail. Anways, good choice. Excellent choice even.

HDTV's are definitely worth it. Not just from a gaming point of view, but from a general TV user view too.

Many HDTVs can now output standard definition in a slightly improved manner (I have no idea how it works, but I do see a difference).

Personally, if you are moving into HD, you might as well save up and buy the best, it's how I work, I never tend to go for an intermediate solution when jumping technologies.

Hence I went for the 55" Samsung Series 8 LED TV. It's monster of a TV (not as big as some 63" or 72" plasmas, but it's amazing).

Gizmodo seems to have the right idea:
      HD Guru just scored the first review with the $3,200 46-inch Samsung UN46B8000. It's an LED-backlit LCD that measures just over an inch thick and refreshes images at 240Hz. HD Guru loved the display, calling it the best LCD ever.

Of course, the 55" does have a few problems, because of it's size, sometimes the screen struggles to keep up with fast pace action (because of the 240Hz software), it tries to smooth out anything and everything. The 46" on the other hand is an instant winner. But I'll stick with my 55".

I still haven't mananged to try any HD gaming:

- Haven't got PS3;
      - Don't have a computer with the card capable of doing such resolutions.

The TV has everything you can imagine, except for enough Component or Composite cables, but has 4 HDMI inputs.

I'll give you more information if you want, photos etc.

It cost me 8000 Sing. Dollars which is about $4800, but that was around 1 month ago.

Just to add on, the Samsung 5.1 is not that great a system (it actually is meant to come with the TV, but they probably presented it to you as a free offer).

Comment

Yeah, we couldn't afford the 55", but pwnage tv sir. :thumbsup: We just went through all of our games tonight, wow...I am impressed. Fight Night, awesome! And on LBP, I saw a bunch of textures I never even knew existed before. Get a PS3, it's worth it with the nice tv. Gonna get a blu-ray movie to watch on Tuesday night.

Oh, and the sound system isn't that great, correct. It's one of the entry level sets, this one is about $450, but I bought it b/c the receiver is good enough, the speakers are necessarily not. Which means I can upgrade all of the speakers in the future. But for the size of our living room, this thing has already been proven powerful enough. :shock:

And regular tv definitely sucks now lol!

Comment

Hmmm. $450 eh?

I think ours is around $650 (maybe even 750), but it's a 1000W wireless surround system. Made life easy for me, plus the bass is incredible.

But good to hear you enjoying your Samsung, it's definitely one of the best TV's out there.

Comment

Gracias, it is! Now, if I could just get a bunch of free time so I could camp in front of it for hours. :laugh:

Comment

Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray son.

GO!GO!GO!

Comment

Dark Knight on Blu-Ray > all

Comment

Why would you buy a Monster cable?? I hope you didn't pay more than $10... :shakehead:

Anyways, enjoy! I couldn't handle playing NBA 2k8 before I got my HDMI cable. Really makes a huuuge difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X