Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 RC performance?

Does anyone on here play COD4 on Win7?
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge performance disparity between XP and Win7. My framerate on XP is a rock solid 60 with v-sync enabled, and never wavers. On Win7 I've noticed drops to 40 or so, and a lot of stuttering.

COD4 isn't the only game that is running like pond water, it's just the one I most wanted to play. Pretty much every game is showing a 10-25% performance loss in Win7...

Why does everyone say Win7 blows XP out of the water, if XP runs games better?

Re: Windows 7 RC performance?

Because it normally does. There are a lot of factors that could be why the RC is not playing games well on your machine. You might post your system specs and brands to get better support.

RC is still a beta and there may be something buggy with it or with your system. Could be another piece of software that is not compatible and is causing problems as well. I played waw in 7 and had no issues. But that wasnt CoD4.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

My system specs are usually in the drop-down...

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6
      BFG GTX 280
      Intel C2Q 9300
      4GB (2x2GB) Patriot DDR2 800
      1TB WD Caviar Black
      X-Fi Fatal1ty
      Zboard MERC Stealth
      Logitech G5 V2

Current drivers for everything as of last weekend, and it doesn't look like any updates have come out for anything in the last 7 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Innocent Bystander
        Why does everyone say Win7 blows XP out of the water, if XP runs games better?
        Because XP generally doesn't run games that much better. Been playing CoD4 on Win7 with at least the same performance as on XP. Neither of my games have had any performance decrease really, if not the opposite!

Check your drivers. I've heard ATI has pretty shoddy w7 drivers but I'm not sure if it's true or just rumours.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
          Because XP generally doesn't run games that much better. Been playing CoD4 on Win7 with at least the same performance as on XP. Neither of my games have had any performance decrease really, if not the opposite!

Check your drivers. I've heard ATI has pretty shoddy w7 drivers but I'm not sure if it's true or just rumours.
          I have no AMD/ATI products in my PC.

COD 4 and W@W, Crysis Warhead, Left 4 Dead and Prototype are the only games I've tried so far, and all run 10-25% faster in 32-bit XP as opposed to 64-bit Windows 7.

Comment

I'm also running a pretty clean installation. The only things installed are the games themselves, drivers, Avast! antivirus and Steam. I have no codec packs installed or other applications installed. Windows automatically found most of my drivers. The only ones I had to manually install were for my X-Fi and mouse. I checked the rest of the drivers and found that Windows installed all of the most recent ones.
            XP and 7 are both on the same hard drive on different partitions, so hard drive speed shouldn't be a factor.

Any ideas?

Comment

Not yet, but I am still looking around.

I am surprised that Microsoft gave you the latest drivers. Usually they are a little outdated and tend to break things for me.

When you play, do you turn AVG off? Have you tried that?

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                Not yet, but I am still looking around.

I am surprised that Microsoft gave you the latest drivers. Usually they are a little outdated and tend to break things for me.

When you play, do you turn AVG off? Have you tried that?

Crunch
                Yeah, I almost always disable my antivirus while I game. I don't have AVG, though, I have Avast!. I used to have AVG, and accidentally mis-typed.
                But MS gave me the latest drivers for my graphics, NIC, and keyboard, along with a few other things. It gave me a step back for my X-fi, which isn't too bad considering Creative's previous track record for cooperation with Microsoft.

One thing I've noticed: I can't kill all of my antivirus processes anymore. Some say I don't have privileges, even though I'm running as an admin. This has been happening on XP, Vista, and 7, though. So I don't think that's what is causing the problems.

Comment

UPDATE: After asking around on other forums, some of the guys on callofduty.com mentioned that they were having frame rate drops and stuttering on pretty much every OS. It seems there was a PB update that came out on the same day I switched to Win7 that was pretty screwy for a lot of people. There was another PB update yesterday and everything is running a lot better.
                  So this time it seems it's not Win7's fault, just a funky coincidence that made it look that way.
                  I'm not sure why Prototype was running like crap, but now that I beat it, it's a moot point.

Comment

Well thats good that you discovered that. I was having some studder issues as well, but didnt think about it relating to your problem either.

Crunch

Comment

I don't know about the RC, but in the RTM the game performs great, then again I also do PB updates manually pretty regularly.

Comment

Im using Win7 64bit and my games absolutely fly faster than xp64 and much faster than vista. best platform to date for playing games imho.

Comment

Working...
                        X