What's wrong with my PS2?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with my PS2?!?!

I borrowed a PS2 console from my girlfriend so I could play Gran Turismo 4. However, upon trying to play, I got a "disc read error". The disc was fairly scratched, so I bought another copy from ebay.

I tested to make sure it wasn't the console. I tried Worms Armageddon PS1 game which loaded and played fine and then I tried a DVD movie which played fine.

However, my new (well, second hand new) copy of GT4 came today and again, I get "disc read error"! The disc looks barely scratched (certainly not as bad as Worms!). So why am I getting this error again?

Re: What's wrong with my PS2?!?!

I'm assuming the surface of the disc isn't blue? Very unlikely as GT4 came out after these discs were around but just checking...

Comment

Nope, I used to have some blue discs, they were a nightmare!

GT4 is standard silver. However, I just tested GTA:SA and it worked fine. I can't believe for a minute I got sold another dud disk, especially as it looks in such good condition.

Comment

I would take the PS2, and get the laser cleaned/ get the discs cleaned.

Comment

I took it apart and got rid of any crap, but there didn't seem to be any visible crap on the laser. I also tried every different laser position on the vertical scale, but still, no cigar.

I really hope it isn't the disk, I don't have another PS2 to test it on and I don't really want to have to buy another copy to find it just doesn't work either.

Comment

Well, do you have any other ps2 games that cause the same error? If not, then it's probably just the disc.

Comment

GTA: San Andreas works absolutely fine and so does the PS1 version of

But, I can't believe this second version of GT4 doesn't work. The disc looks almost perfect

I wish there was another PS2 I could test on

Comment

Wait what you have a girlfriend?

Comment

For 3 years now

Amazing...

Comment

Working!

I used some ArctiClean Thermal Surface Purifier (usually for CPU's and GPU's) on a cotton bud and gently wiped the laser. I then dried it with the other end of the bud.

Gran Turismo 4 now works perfectly. Thanks a lot guys

Comment

Working...
                    X