Should I Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Upgrade?

Well i know that now that BF3 is in the works and such ill upgrade completely whenever thats about to release...but i imagine that to be atleast more than a year.

My current system is

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    2 gigs of ram
    7800gtx

to say the least it blows, like i really cant even run bf2 that well.

should i just toss in a 3870? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102719

i had one in my current rig for a few weeks before my friend needed it back and i could run everything, cod4, l4d, bf2, all like maxed.

should that be able to last me till i completely upgrade for bf3?

like for the new bf coming out soon and other newer games that are fun to play?

Re: Should I Upgrade?

I wouldn't toss a 3870 in there, they are poor performing and bad value for money. Take a loot at either the Radeon 4770, 4830 or 4850. There is the 4870, but that might be out of your budget.

However, putting any of the cards mentioned above will work and play BF2 all max, your CPU will bottleneck them and prevent them from reaching their true potential. So, if I were you, i'd think about a full upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
      I wouldn't toss a 3870 in there, they are poor performing and bad value for money. Take a loot at either the Radeon 4770, 4830 or 4850. There is the 4870, but that might be out of your budget.

However, putting any of the cards mentioned above will work and play BF2 all max, your CPU will bottleneck them and prevent them from reaching their true potential. So, if I were you, i'd think about a full upgrade.
      true true...its just i dont wanna spend a lot of money then have to do it again in a year...like im looking around and im guessing the newer motherboards dont even use FSB anymore? So it would sound expensive to get a computer that wouldnt have to be completely rehauled by then.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't advise going i7 for sure. If you wanted a new motherboard and CPU and you are primarily a gamer, then an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and Gigabyte UD3P/R would do you proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
          Well, I wouldn't advise going i7 for sure. If you wanted a new motherboard and CPU and you are primarily a gamer, then an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and Gigabyte UD3P/R would do you proud.
          alrighty, thanks man...ill mess around on newegg today and post what i come up with later on and see what you guys think.

guess this means i am going to have to get a job this summer hehe

Comment

Sorry for double post but i finished, ended up being alot cheaper than i thought it was going to be because most of the stuff i can reuse.

case (already have) - CM690

power supply (already have) - Antec earthwatts 500W

hard drive (already have) - 250gb

cd drive (already have) - dvd burner and what not

now for the stuff i need to buy

mobo - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

cpu - E8400

ram - G.SKILL 4GB

gfx - Radeon HD 4850 1GB

total - 490 with shipping...not bad at all, lemme know if i forgot anything.

Comment

Looks all good man, some nice selections you made there!

As for advice, I would say get an aftermarket CPU cooler. The Intel E8xxx series are highly overclockable (4ghz + with the right chip). Give it a mild OC and watch it fly!

Comment

Working...
              X