[prototype]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [prototype]

Well, after seeing some reviews and seeing the game played on the X360, I decided to go ahead and get this game.

After only playing for a short period of time, I am ready to bestow the highest honor I can for this type of game:
    Spiritual Successor to The Incredible Hulk : Ultimate Destruction.
    The majority of the combat feels very similar, and the control scheme is virtually identical. I was able to jump right in and felt very at home trashing tanks and running up walls. Elbow-dropping from 10 stories up to land on a tank is just as awesome in this game as it was in IH:UD.

I had no performance issues on my system, the frame rate was smooth the whole time and everything sounded just the way it should. I do acknowledge that it seems like a lot of people aren't having such an easy time of getting the game running properly. I hope they get everything worked out.

I didn't even try playing with a keyboard and mouse. I have an Xbox 360 controller that I use for games like this. In the time I spent with the game, I can imagine it being fairly difficult to play without a controller.

So, how is everyone liking this game so far? Do you agree that it's a worthy successor to Ultimate Destruction?

EDIT: For some reason the title turned to all lower case after I typed it in caps... Not that it really matters, but still.

Re: [prototype]

the thing is I just read the IGN review of this game and your whole 1st/2nd paragraphs looks like you just paraphrased what they said.

from what I have heard the PC and PS3 versions have gameplay/installation issues.

Comment

I haven't read the IGN review, as there was no PC version of the review up last time I checked and I don't read reviews for platforms I don't own.
      The reviews I did read were:

and

Both claimed to be PC reviews without having anything to do with the things PC gamers like to know about: control scheme and performance issues. They seemed like nothing more than copy-pasted X-box 360 or PS3 reviews, one even mentioning the loading issues on the PS3. One did mention that the people responsible for this game were also responsible for Ultimate Destruction and The Simpsons: Hit and Run, but didn't actually point out the similarities to the former.

I had no issues installing on my PC, by the way.

EDIT: Okay, I just read the IGN review. They do mention the similarities to Ultimate Destruction, but again it feels like they had a guy play the X-box version and write a review, then tacked on one paragraph at the end that said the game ran just fine on their system and can be played with a controller or keyboard/mouse.
      The rest of the review is bashing the game. Sure, it isn't a technical masterpiece of art and technology. But I'm having a lot of fun. Isn't that what is supposed to matter?
      MORE EDIT: After looking through a lot of the comments on IGN, it seems like more people there agree with my assessment of the fun than the reviewer. For some reason things that worked just fine in UD are worth crying over in this game according to the reviewer. He sobs over how impossibly hard it is to do a "cannonball" when it's the same button press it was in UD. Funny, they never mentioned that as a deal-breaker in UD...
      Another thing, the same guy wrote the review for all of the platforms. I highly doubt he played through the game on every system. So that shows to me that they really did just copy-paste the review on every platform and add a little blurb at the end.

Comment

eldri will be reviewing the 360 version of the game when it eventually arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Manzi
          eldri will be reviewing the 360 version of the game when it eventually arrives.
          I've got the PS3 version right now, and I don't really see any glitches or rendering issues. It is fairly fun later on in the game, but I god damned hated the game until I started unlocking new powers. It also doesn't feel as immersive as inFAMOUS... probably because you can literally skip 90% of the city by jumping/gliding/skipping from rooftop to rooftop without ever needing to land on the ground until you're ready to kill something. Even then, the people on the ground are so boring and lifeless, it feels like you're playing in a gigantic Ant Colony rather than a city.

I also hate how mentally retarded the military personnel are in this game. You can get away with completely engulfing/consuming somebody with the sneak-consume skill, even though there are people standing right beside the person being consumed.

Comment

Still in two minds as to whether i should get this on 360. Its my kind of game as i loved the Spiderman series of games and their dynamics but although its getting good reviews im not sure whether i should just save my money for what is clearly going to be a costly November.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
              Still in two minds as to whether i should get this on 360. Its my kind of game as i loved the Spiderman series of games and their dynamics but although its getting good reviews im not sure whether i should just save my money for what is clearly going to be a costly November.
              It's a rental. I'm halfway through this game and so far I've found the following:
              • Lame Side-quests that force you to train your special abilities over and over and over.
              • One of the most horrifically written story-lines to date.
              • Seems to have many repeated attacks/powers from Spider-man, Wolverine and the Incredible Hulk, which makes me wonder if this is even a new game at all.
              • Doesn't even give the satisfaction of letting you permanently clear a city block after destroying a hive/base. They respawn every twenty minutes which is just aggravating considering how much work it takes to destroy either one.
              • Memory-Web characters end up getting themselves killed by hunters/gunfire/cars before you can even reach them... which is very aggravating considering how rarely they spawn.
              • Transportation is as easy as it was in Spider-man, but this also made it very impersonal. You barely see any of the city until you're actually ready to kill stuff.

Even the 360 Achievements and PS3 trophies are ridiculously time consuming to get, which unlike Prototype encouraged me to not go for them. Why would I want to waste 20+ hours to redo the game, just to get a silver trophy?

Comment

Horrifically written story??? I have been watching my brother play it and I actually find it interesting. awww.... now I feel stupid :cry:

Comment

I will rent it and see how it goes.

Comment

Prototype < inFamous

Comment

The ending was a little over the top, but it left me satisfied after beating a seemingly unbeatable end boss. {There's a secret to beating him... Save the Helicopters for the last two minutes you'll know what I mean when you get there, and this won't actually be a spoiler cause you'll have no idea what I mean by saving the helicopters. =D}

After having thoroughly beaten both for the PS3, I will say that inFAMOUS is the better of the two. Not because it came first, but because it was genuinely better.

In inFAMOUS, falls made my heart stop, bosses were ridiculously difficult, earned attacks were used on a regular basis, plus there was the ability to reclaim territory which offered a neat little side-game.

In Prototype, falls left me bored, {thankfully} bosses were ridiculously difficult, earned attacks usually went to the backburner since I already button-mash my usual suspects, and destroying hives/bases pretty much gave you 2 minutes without interference in that area... big whoop.

Comment

Not a bad game the controls can be abit hit or miss using a keyboard/mouse, can over shoot or over jump sometimes especially when camera rotating. graphics could do with looking abit better, theres not enough options. as for performance went ran smooth as....

Comment

Working...
                        X