Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Console version

Originally posted by yeoldehomer
    The "hardcore PC" game that DICE is working on is not BC2. If you're suggesting that BF3 is going to be a console release as well as a PC release, there's really not going to be much different between it and BC2, is there? Why then, is BC2 not a release for the "hardcore PC guys" as well? Because one of the upcoming BF releases, the one for the "hardcore PC guys", is going to be PC exclusive. Logic dictates that this is BF3.
    Going by your "Logic" then BF3 will be a different war to BF1942 which is set in World War 2 and BF2 which is set in post modern day. So BF3 will be set in a different time to BF2 and BC2 which are both modern day. So BF3 won't be a competitor to BC2. This is taking your assumption that the game will follow the trend of BF1942 and BF2.

All I am saying is that it is possible that it could come out on consoles, not that it definately will. There is nothing to suggest otherwise at the moment. They could potentially make just as much money from the PC market by having a multi platform release. Just because you want a PC exclusive title doesn't mean everyone else does or that they even will. saying that DICE knows the PC community want a PC exclusive game is jsut another assumption. Do you speak for the whole PC community? I am part of the PC community and I'm not bothered if it comes out on consoles just that they keep the game as big a scale as BF2/BF2142. BC to me felt like a cut down version of these games.

Just because they've found success in the multi-platform market does not mean that the PC market has disappeared. You're making assumptions yourself.
    I never said the PC market dissapeared. Your putting words in my post. All I'm saying is that it is much more appealing money wise to release multiplatform than it is to make a PC exclusive game.

They're milking the console success with the Bad Company series, but the original BF series is still very much in development, and the full potential of this series (full squad systems, commander modes, mods, 64-player multiplayer) is only really possible on the PC with a keyboard and mouse.
    Unreal tournament on the PS3 had keyboard and mouse support so there is no reason why they couldn't add this into Battlefield. Not sure about the xbox version as I don't have one.

The evidence to say they couldn't is evident in the fact they haven't, and in the fact that they're thinking of increasing the BC2 and 1943 player limits on PC but not on consoles.
    Just because they haven't done it yet doesn't mean they can't. If we all thought like that then we woudln't advance very much as the human race. I think its safe to say that BF3 is at least a year off probably a few years and so in that time whats to say that they won't have developed the ability to put it in game. All that MAG shows it that its possible to have 256 players online playing a similar type of game. Not the same but similar none the less. There is a massive difference in 24 to 256 players. It would certainly be something to aim for and as I've said before BC is a cut down version of Battlfeifeld so whats to say if they did release BF3 they wouldn't keep the features the same as pc.

The evidence available from what we know about BF3 indicates that DICE has acknowledged the PC exclusive market, that they have something in development for it, and that a game with a sequel title to BF2 is in the works. Draw the dots, it's not hard.

There is no evidence that BF3 is going to be a console release, and given that BF2 was a PC only release, and that BF3 is the next item in that series, the burden of proof lies on you to prove that BF3 will be any different to BF2 in regards as to which system it is released on.
    Where has DICE mentioned BF3 and the PC market in the same quote or even any association? Can you show me this? Your putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

I'm not saying they WILL release BF3 on consoles just that there is nothing to say that they won't. Given the current market for video games and how popular consoles are I think it would be difficult for EA to make any of their big title games PC exclusive or even to justify the cost of making it PC only. They are DICE's masters afterall and ultimately control what DICE do with their games.

This is a quote from DICE themselves:
    DICE is taking this lesson into consideration when designing the sequel, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC, 360, PS3), which is due for a winter release.

"Now, looking at our console audience, we just had this discussion that we should more or less handle them on equal terms," said Gustavsson. "A lot of PC players like me have become old farts, with children at home, and it's harder to find the time to sit in front of the PC. Therefore, when they find a good shooter title they'll expect more or less the same possibilities when they fight it out in a console game as they would in a Battlefield PC title."

Full article: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58614

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenMachine
      Just because you want a PC exclusive title doesn't mean everyone else does or that they even will. saying that DICE knows the PC community want a PC exclusive game is jsut another assumption. Do you speak for the whole PC community?
      I Want a PC exclusive as much as all the annoying console fans have theirs.

I never said the PC market dissapeared. Your putting words in my post. All I'm saying is that it is much more appealing money wise to release multiplatform than it is to make a PC exclusive game.
      It takes more time and costs more money to develop a title for all platforms rather then just one, and they know a complex and a huge game like BF3 will only appeal to a hardcore PC player. We can see that in the Battlefield BC1 sales compared to other console games like CoD4.

Unreal tournament on the PS3 had keyboard and mouse support so there is no reason why they couldn't add this into Battlefield. Not sure about the xbox version as I don't have one.
      Not everyone will own USB extender, and or mouse and keyboard for a console, this is a problem. If you have to limit the key mapping, just because the controller has a limited number of buttons available.

Just because they haven't done it yet doesn't mean they can't. If we all thought like that then we woudln't advance very much as the human race. I think its safe to say that BF3 is at least a year off probably a few years and so in that time whats to say that they won't have developed the ability to put it in game. All that MAG shows it that its possible to have 256 players online playing a similar type of game.
      The frostbite engine wasn't developed to be small and compact, to support a lot of players. In order to have this work they would have to build a new engine from the ground up just like MAG did. And that would be waste of thir time and money. PC doesn't have such limitations you can put a huge engine with 64 players and it will still work fine.

Where has DICE mentioned BF3 and the PC market in the same quote or even any association? Can you show me this? Your putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.
      No, because we weren't supposed to know about BF3 anyway, the info has been leaked.

I'm not saying they WILL release BF3 on consoles just that there is nothing to say that they won't. Given the current market for video games and how popular consoles are I think it would be difficult for EA to make any of their big title games PC exclusive or even to justify the cost of making it PC only. They are DICE's masters afterall and ultimately control what DICE do with their games.
      That's why they are making a series of small "cash in games" like Mirrors Edge, BF1943 Bad Company 1 and Bad Company 2, don't worry they are making money from the console market. They adapted DICE haven't done this many small games before now they can, because they know console players don't have high standards (if you disagree just look at the Guitar Hero series nothing new comes to it, except some songs and backgrounds and title. People still buy them. This wouldn't work on the PC market since we could just make mods ourselves).

Comment

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
        It takes more time and costs more money to develop a title for all platforms rather then just one, and they know a complex and a huge game like BF3 will only appeal to a hardcore PC player. We can see that in the Battlefield BC1 sales compared to other console games like CoD4.
        Yes it does take more time and money to develop games on consoles but not as long as it would 2 different games. Also the potential revenue would be higher by making one multiplatform game than making one game for pc and one for consoles. I don't think you can compare sales of BC1 to COD4 because if you read the article I provided a link to you willl see that DICE admit they made a Dumbed down version of Battlefield for consoles. Then they go onto say how they now aim to treat their console games on more or less the same level as the PC games so I don't think the argument that the PC version is too complex because they are already aiming to make their console games like their PC games.
        Of course it will have a different interface because of the controller but if they wanted to they could add mouse and keyboard support. I would certainly use a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller as I hate the aiming with a controller personally. Its just not accurate enough. So it wouldn't necessary compromise the interface for PC as long as the main part of the game is the same.

The frostbite engine wasn't developed to be small and compact, to support a lot of players. In order to have this work they would have to build a new engine from the ground up just like MAG did. And that would be waste of thir time and money. PC doesn't have such limitations you can put a huge engine with 64 players and it will still work fine.
        I agree. The frostbite engine is probably the reason why BC1 and 2 are limited in players on consoles. We still don't know if destructive environments will be included in BF3 as currently its only been in the BC series and not the BF series and I think some people might think that it will automotaically be included in BF3. Destructive environments stilll aren't very common in FPS's and so this could be left out to improve other areas of the game like player count.

If they did decide to make a new engine then it would make sense to develop it for both PC and consoles. This way they could maximise profits by making several games on multiple platforms with the same engine. This would ultimately be cheaper than developing 2 seperate games for 2 different platforms. By the time BF3 comes out the frostbite engine will be a few years old and lets face it, its not the most graphically advanced game engine and so will look even more out of date. More incentive to develop a new engine maybe?

That's why they are making a series of small "cash in games" like Mirrors Edge, BF1943 Bad Company 1 and Bad Company 2, don't worry they are making money from the console market. They adapted DICE haven't done this many small games before now they can, because they know console players don't have high standards (if you disagree just look at the Guitar Hero series nothing new comes to it, except some songs and backgrounds and title. People still buy them. This wouldn't work on the PC market since we could just make mods ourselves).
        If you read my quote you will see that DICE have already said that they intend to make their console game more or less the same as their PC versions of Battlefield. So saying that DICE know console players don't have high standards is a bit contradictary to what they're actually saying in that quote.

Also as far as the guitar hero thing goes Guitar Hero 3 is a whole band of instruments whcih wasn't available in Guitar Hero 2. I doubt many people would be able to fit all this gear in their "PC room" compared to having it in a lounge with (I think this is a fair assumption) a TV that is bigger and easier for more people to see, than their PC monitor.

Comment

Working...
        X