Vavle Responds to L4D2 Boycott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vavle Responds to L4D2 Boycott

Valve's E3 announcement that Left 4 Dead 2 would hit this year, almost one year to the day after the original, has seen mixed response. Nearly 25,000 fans of the original have pledged not to purchase the sequel. Why?

Valve's E3 announcement that Left 4 Dead 2 would hit this year, almost one year to the day after the original, has seen mixed response. Nearly 25,000 fans of the original have pledged not to purchase the sequel. Why?

As outlined in the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott group's manifesto, that group of fans believe that the "stand-alone sequel will split the communities and decrease the quality of multiplayer gaming." Miffed fans believe that the content so far revealed "does not warrant a stand-alone, full-priced sequel and should instead become updates (free or otherwise)" for the original Left 4 Dead.

We asked Valve for a response to those claims.

"Doing a sequel in one year is new for Valve. But providing ongoing support for our titles after the initial launch isn't - it has been part of our philosophy since Half-Life was released ten and half years ago," said Valve president Gabe Newell in a statement to Kotaku. "We see no reason to change that and will continue to support the over three million customers in the L4D community."

"E3 is a trade event where developers and publishers come to announce new games for the coming year. L4D2 — like any new product — requires an appearance at the show," Newell said.

Valve says, it will continue to support the original with continued updates.

"Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1."

Whether that will allay fears that Left 4 Dead will be left behind by some community members remains to be seen, but Valve notes that it hasn't abandoned the original.

"In addition to the recently released Survival Pack, we are releasing authoring tools for Mod makers, community matchmaking, 4x4 matchmaking, and more new content during the coming months for L4D1," Newell says. "We also agree with our customers that there needs to be an interoperability plan for players of L4D1 and L4D2, as multiplayer games are driven by the cohesiveness of their community."

When we first went hands-on with the Steam version of Left 4 Dead 2 at E3, we felt that the title felt awfully similar to the original. Some of that may simply be due to incremental updates already revealed. As Valve's Chet Faliszek told us at the time, there are still plenty of details left to be doled out, including information on new weapons, two new Special Infected types and more.

Faliszek said at E3 that he very much understood the "gut reaction" to the uncharacteristically Valve move to launch such a quick follow-up. But, he said, as people learn more about the game over the next few months, they'll see why "none of the additions [in Left 4 Dead 2] are trivial."

Re: Vavle Responds to L4D2 Boycott

:goodluck:

Comment

Its still an expansion. New skins for weapons and two new enemies does not a new game make.

Comment

We don't even know what price they will release this at, it could easily be at the price of an expansion pack. It seems they are just trying to jump on the band wagon that Activision and CoD started rolling, releasing a game every year.

Comment

I'm actually hoping that they go the same route Sony did with EverQuest and retro fit the new engine into the old game.

Put the new director and new engine into the old models and skins and let'er rip. That would be nice.

I wish DiCE had done the same thing with BF2. Put the 2142 engine into BF2 and improve the performance.

Comment

I probably won't buy this at full price. Maybe when it is about 25-30 dollars.

Comment

he's not really responding to the boycott in that interview, he's just telling L4D fans that they'll still support the original, rather than commented on what Valve plans to do about people not buying it since they already have L4D.

Comment

I'll wait till people make mods for L4D1 that are just like L4D2 and just play those.

Comment

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Noriega

That is all.
                    lol.

I think they should put more effort in HL3 and a new CS and company then this L4D2 crap. :rawr

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle

I think they should work on, and release HL3

Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Nike
                        Done.
                        Thats... the same thing I was saying? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by [1SOC]1LT.Frantic
                          We don't even know what price they will release this at, it could easily be at the price of an expansion pack. It seems they are just trying to jump on the band wagon that Activision and CoD started rolling, releasing a game every year.
                          In all honesty, valve should have sold the first l4d for $20 - $30 then this probably wouldn't be happening. I still haven't bought the first L4D. I'm not gonna pay $50 - $40 bucks for basically a zombie mod for the source engine. I'll give it the fact that it has a single player but all that really consists of is random zombie bots placed sporadically through about 9 maps, definitely not worth $50, which I'm sure is exactly what will happen with L4D2 ($50 price tag for basically the same game with different maps). I know it takes time to produce video games and those involved want to make money, but it needs to be more about the video game and less about the money, which is exactly where the video game industry keeps heading.

Valve use to be one of the few major companies that didn't go by this type of sequel practice. I really hope they don't make a habit out of doing this.

Comment

L4D should have been like BF1943

15 dollars.

Comment

Yea, I still dont feel I have my moneys worth out of L4D let alone considering a second one. I want more maps and weapons for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X