Looks like DICE does Jihads too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like DICE does Jihads too.

A Battlefield blog post I found rather entertaining to read as a whole, but even more so once I got to this paragraph (placed in bold).

What is a Battlefield game? It’s a question without a clear answer. I guess there are really as many answers as there are people who ever played it. Because a Battlefield game is an experience like few others. To some it's team play, to some it's lone wolfing with a sniper rifle, to some it's the epic scale, to some it's the crazy fun and to some it's the vehicles. When starting a project like Battlefield 1943 you need some kind of working answer to the question no matter. You need to have somewhere to start to have anywhere to go.

It all started out as an experiment really, mostly for fun. But it became apparent quite early on that there was something more to this than just playing around in the Frostbite engine. There were certain aspects of the vanilla Battlefield experience we wanted to take for a second spin, for our own sake. We’re a studio of die hard Battlefield-fans and we made the first one because we really wanted to make the game we wanted to play ourselves. Whatever this was going to be, it was going to be a labor of love.

So we discussed back and forth what we really wanted to shoot for. We knew from the start that we were looking at a small product, with a small budget and aimed at digital download. We started by revisiting Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 and personally I did little else for three straight weeks but play those games. Now there is one Battlefield quality we keep coming back to in the studio, and it's what we call Battlefield moments.

Those moments are the times when you run along on a road and a jeep suddenly comes flying through the air on fire, or when two players go head to head in planes and both parachute out to continue the fight on foot. It's when last week I strapped three TNT charges to a jeep, slammed into an enemy tank, jumped out, blew him up and then got knifed by his gunner buddy who had read my intentions clearly. In some ways I think this is what comes out of a good open ended sandbox. You give people tools to use in a world that allows them to play around and these things just happen. It's just people playing and having fun. So at this point we were starting to feel certain that Battlefield moments were going to be a big part of it.

But Battlefield 1943 could never be a casual game. It could be more accessible, take lesser time to get into and to learn but it could never be simple. There was no way we could avoid the temptation to add a proper recoil system, tank shells and rockets with falling trajectories, planes that take training to fly like an ace, a proper squad system and support for organized matches. The intention was and is to create a game that scales with the players own experience. At first you can take the easy route but as you get better there are more things for you to do, and to learn. For the PC version we also have some interesting solutions to provide the challenges needed for that segment of players. So, we had the clear intent of making Battlefield 1943 more accessible but we did not make it casual. It’s just not our pedigree as a studio.

In my next devlog I think I’ll get into more detail on some of the gameplay systems that I know people have been arguing about. I think in many ways they are a bit misunderstood and I’d be happy to explain the reasons behind them, and why they work. Because they actually do. You should probably not take my word for it, but Battlefield 1943 is actually a hoot to play.

Sebastian Armonioso (Sibben)
    Lead Designer, Battlefield 1943

Re: Looks like DICE does Jihads too.

Sweet, that was always a fun part of the game. Both jihading and defending from it

Comment

Re: Looks like DICE does Jihads too.

I really like these Dev blogs, they always tell more than the official releases.

Ahhh Jeep Jihading, good times, good times.

Interested to find out what the Interesting solutions they have for the PC version. Looking forward to the next blog.

Comment

Working...
      X