x-fi related sound oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x-fi related sound oddities

uhh what would make orbital strikes sound all funny where you dont really hear the stuff coming down but you just mostly hear the explosions that kill you?

Re: x-fi related sound oddities

Have you checked ingame settings are as they should be? If you start the game with x-fi - Entertainment mode it knocks the setting down, restart in Game mode, reset the ingame settings.

Comment

Yea, you must start BF in game mode otherwise it does some weird stuff :|:

Comment

no this is with game-mode settings forget what i said before about entertainment mode

Comment

with CMSS-3D = off
          crystal thing= on around 55
          EAX=on
          and SMV= off

Comment

you want the cmss-3d to be on. That gives you the positional audio. Also make sure that you have your speakers set correctly in the Xfi control panel. If it is set to 5.1 or other surround settings and you are using headphones it will screw with the ingame sound for 2142.

Comment

CMSS 3D should be off as the game generates true 5.1 sounds.

My mate had this issue with his XFi when he was using XP. When he tried Vista it went away so I would guess a driver issue. Try a new driver. If your XFi is in game mode try changing settings in 2142 for audio. You could see if there is a difference between XFi and hardware mode. Also try using High or Very high settings.

Comment

yes CMSS off is the way to go if u have a true 5.1 set up. CMSS emulates 3D audio from a 2D source.

and GOD STOP TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT GAME MODE, 100% OF OWNERS KNOW THIS OBVIOUS FACT and i hate when people come with the stupid advice of "is it on game mode?" whenever theres a question with the x-fi card. the goddam game won't even go into x-fi mode if it's not on game mode.

the fact is x-fi card on x-fi mode goes bonkers during orbital strikes on many setups. similar things happen in bf2. this is on vista btw. it doesn't do it on XP. it's a known issue. check creative forums. my solution was to put it on hardware mode and it will work w/o going bonkers but won't be as good as x-fi mode was supposed to be (or how it sounds on XP).

Comment

You guys/girls up for a mass migration from XP to Win 7

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                    (or how it sounds on XP).
                    how does it sound better on xp?

Comment

It's no different. The only thing X-Fi mode allows is the use of up to 128 different audio channels. It's really a gimmick, hardware is in reality, just as good (most of the time anyway).

Comment

I concur. I can hear no difference between hardware and Creative mode. Then again I can't hear a difference between high and very high. It can be a good idea to run in hardware mode then it doesn't balls up if you forget to switch modes before starting 2142.

Field - have you tried installing the Daniel_k support pack 2.0 from the Creative website. I have no problems with that pack and it installs other useful stuff like the automode switcher and THX console etc.

Comment

the only real difference i can notice with my ears is during orbital strikes. it just sounds way different. the problem is it will cause crackling under vista for me. on XP it worked fine. btw, the 128 channel does make a difference. you will notice more distinct sounds. remember how low, medium, high have in difference?

Comment

There's this thread in the EA UK forum, with some more links and stuff that people might find helpful relating to this issue: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...io-option.html

Comment

Not sure what is causing your problem field, but here's the settings I run on an X-Fi whilst playing 2142, and I hear things fine.

In game audio : all settings highest.

Creative console :

- CMSS-3D off
                              - Crystalizer on, 75%
                              - EQ Disabled
                              - EAX effects enabled, 3dB
                              - Speakers 5.1
                              - Bass redirection enabled, cross-over freq 80Hz

and if I feel like it, I'll turn on dolby digital. But that won't really affect you if you haven't got the right hardware headset wise.

Hardware : X-Fi Elite Pro + Sharkoon X-Tatic v3 5.1 headset

What are your drivers though? Trooper made the most helpful suggestion if you have vista - get the Daniel K drivers, but also look on creative for updated console launcher once you've installed those since not all of the implementations in Mr K's package are fully up to date anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X