Classic Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Classic Mode

Promod and PAM4 have the no hit-markers through walls setting featured in CoD4..

Comment

Originally posted by Micster
      If it will appease you guys, I'm okay with a Classic mode.

Making it ranked just to gain the interest of new players doesn't sound right to me. Usually if a mod is popular enough around here, it gets played, end of story.
      I like the newer style of game play vs. older. Ive been around long enough to have played both quite a bit. However, rankings, even the minimal rankings CoD does, changes how people play. Mods are great and everything but there are THOUSANDS that dont play a mod because its not ranked.

Having this classic mode would do three things:

1. Like Defekt said, bring the competitive people into the mix a bit more.
      2. Give the CoD2 only people something to try.
      3. Expand the community.

The bigger a games following is the longer it will last. I know that may not always be true, but think about all the huge FPS games out there and you will notice the huge communities they have.

Personally I think the more control you let the players have with features on a server, the better off the game is. Also as long as there is a way to tell what features are on or off

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Updated the list with another change (no red names).

Interesting to see some of the mixed views on the game mode, and, similar to what Crunch said, if the mode were to allow for a lot of customization it could gather even more support.

Comment

Haha Defekt - we know each other too well.

Comment

They could split this whole "Ranked/Non-Ranked" into different modes with achievements for each mode... sort of like L4D has achievements for Verus, Survival and Campaign (each level) - MW2 could have achievements/challenges for "stock ranked," "hardcore," this "classic mode mentioned above," and possibly something for "Old School" if they bring that back - although not many people played it...

If they did something like this then it might encourage people to play each gamemode and we might even see a healthy mix of each mode on the servers, instead of 70% hardcore, 10% normal, 1% old school and the rest modded... (guess-timations, not actual figs)

Comment

I was talking to Chris_Redfield and he also mentioned that it would be nice to see something similar to HLTV. It would definitely increase awareness and spectator amounts in the competitive community and could be used just for fun elsewhere, thoughts on that?

And @ Kyle, I know, it's kinda scary.

Comment

CODTV has been talked about a lot in the compet community, and in the BASH podcasts specifically. Apparently, it only would take IW/Treyarch to put in a couple lines of code as a hook, and the community modders could implement CODTV. If I understand correctly, this was in place in the past, but for some reason was not included in COD4/CODWW.

Some prominent people in the compet community are lobbying IW to include these hooks in MW2, so we'll see if they comply. I have no technical knowledge of how it works, but those who have swear that it really is that simple...1 or 2 lines of code on the developer's side, to enable the community to do the rest.

Comment

Yea they had CoDTV for CoD1... garetjax made it back then, and has wanted to include it for CoD4/WaW/MW2 for ages...

CoD4 is pretty different to CoD1, so those 1-2 lines might be 100-200 lines for CoD4/WaW/MW2 - although I have no knowledge on this... I'm just assuming that it probably won't be as easy as it was for CoD1 since the game has expanded so much... but then I'm sure IW would have coded the engine with high cohesion and low coupling so it shouldn't be too hard to include new features or edit current ones...

Comment

Garetjax is indeed the person I was talking about. He's a regular on the BASH podcasts. He doesn't work for IW, so obviously he only has the knowledge of an outsider, but on several occasions he's sworn it would only take 1 or 2 lines of code on IW's part to make it viable for him to plug it in. He's been trying to get it into COD4/WW but without any luck. He's usually pretty knowledgeable about the technical stuff (he does coding for other projects), so I give him the benefit of the doubt as to what he would need.

Comment

Working...
                    X