Classic Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Mode

Last night I was talking with Whiskey, and we both agreed that it would be nice to see a "Classic" game mode. The new mode would focus on balancing the game and making it a bit more true to the original Call of Duty games. It would also help to alleviate some of the grenade spamming and more "unfair" ways of playing the game, therefore improving the gameplay experience. Also, if the following changes are implemented to the mode it could help to close the gap that currently exists between the competitive and casual communities, which would be highly beneficial to the game as a whole.

Suggested Changes
    -Either a health pack system (i.e. an enemy drops health when you kill him) or a modified regen system. There are pros and cons to each, but just as an example - and I've seen it work wonders in promod - for a modified health regeneration system: if you take significant damage, your health will only regenerate to a certain percentage of what it was before (and will be displayed in a health bar). This still gives you the opportunity to fight back while making the system more balanced.
    -No perks. Removing perks will further balance the game as everybody is given equal attributes.
    -No attachments, only ironsights.
    -No red dots on the map (at all).
    -Hit blips only show up if the enemy is in a direct line of sight, they will not show up if you are tagging them through a wall. This will balance the walling much more than it was in vanilla CoD4.
    -Add scopeless rifles (would also replace the ACOG).
    -My personal suggestion: no cooked grenades and grenades do less damage. This will greatly reduce spamming.
    -No stun grenades (only flashes and smokes)
    -No killstreak bonuses

While some may not like it, this game mode will provide the more casual gamers with insight into new play styles, and give both competitive and casual players a mode that they can share. This could, as I've said, alleviate many of the arrogance issues where the competitive players feel the need to bash the "noobies." While many players may not like it at first, and I know I didn't like it at first when many of these changes were implemented into CoD4 competition, they can help to make the game more enjoyable for all players.

*Whiskey, if I forgot something or there were some changes, let me know and I'll edit the thread

Re: Classic Mode

Classic game modes are awesome

Comment

Yep, replace old school and make that. That way all the CoD2 whiners will shut up.

Or will they still complain because its not EXACTLY like COD2?

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Those players will probably still complain, but I can see a lot of competitive players seeing it as a nice break from the vanilla servers.

Comment

Mhmm, that sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure about the scopeless rifles though, it's modern day :/

Comment

Originally posted by [202K]7|Fwb.Recon[HNPA]
            Mhmm, that sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure about the scopeless rifles though, it's modern day :/
            We were discussing this as more of an "extra" mode or setting - it would not replace scoped sniper rifles in the main game.

Basically, there's a lot of players from COD, COD:UO, and COD2 (and the MOH games) who absolutely LOVED playing bolt-rifles only. It's tons of fun, really helps build aiming skill/accuracy, and prevents spray-n-pray spam. You can duel with someone for quite awhile, running, hiding, counter-attacking, without a hail of bullets.

I've even heard this mentioned in podcasts by COD4 players...many of whom miss the old bolt rifles. And, there are mods out there people have created to plug the old COD2 rifles into COD4. The problem with mods is that they tend to make a server harder to populate, and split the community.

This would be sort of a tie-in between "old" COD and the slick modern day look. Have modern bolt-action sniper rifles, but remove the scope and use iron sights. We thought that both competition players and people who enjoyed "old" COD pubbing would enjoy being able to play this mode and bring old and new players together a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Defekt
              Last night I was talking with Whiskey, and we both agreed that it would be nice to see a "Classic" game mode.
              Don't get your hopes up. It's not likely to happen.

As much as I'd love to be proved wrong, this idea is only popular among older gamers that have played games with health bars and health packs and whatnot.

Comment

You can make that "Classic" mode in OpenWarfare (for both CoD4 and WaW)

- Health Packs can be turned on OR you can use a modified regen system where you regen either 50% of the bullet damage, or you regen slowly. The 50% regen works like this, say you're on 100hp and get shot to 50hp, you'll regen to 75hp. The regen slowly, just regens slowly, like 2hp every other millisecond instead of how the stock regen is... where you stay at whatever health you were shot to then after X seconds you instantly regen to 100 - when you get shot with the stock IW regen while this instant regen occurs it'll sometimes cause you to be

- You can remove perks in pretty much all mods.

-You can disable attachments in most mods too.

-You can turn the red dots off in OW (OpenWarfare) and a few other mods.

- You can disable hit blips through walls in OW and a few other mods.

- For scopeless rifles, that'd require new models since the scopes weren't built to be like that - but in WaW you can easily do that

- Grenade cooking can be removed but would require a couple lines to edit (and the nade to have no-cook off hold set to off in the weapon file)

- You can disable stuns in most mods...

- Again, most mods you can disable killstreaks

Although you probably knew all this?

But yeah, a classic mode for MW2 would be fun, but highly unlikely

Comment

^ Yeah, but the point is that we were discussing this as if it were a ranked game. It's true that mods can do all of this, and while people will play those mods, making this mode ranked would be an incentive for new players to try it out.

I'm not debating whether it will happen or not, simply wanting to see what the community's reactions are.

Comment

If it will appease you guys, I'm okay with a Classic mode.

Making it ranked just to gain the interest of new players doesn't sound right to me. Usually if a mod is popular enough around here, it gets played, end of story.

Comment

I agree with most of your points.

Here are points I disagree on:

No attachments - I would understand this if it was WW2, but it is modern day. Modern weapons may have various optics such as AIMPOINT or HOLOTECH attached, as well as silencers. Leaving this in would better fit the era the game takes place in.

No cooking grenades and reduced damage - removing grenade cooking will remove a large deal of fluidity really, there is no reason to remove cooking. And reduced damage - there is really a point where enough is enough, and a weapon must kill rather than having all the damage nerfed out of it.

Otherwise, I'd love to play this classic mode. I'm really tired of non-stop UAVs, airstrikes and helicopters. Air support on such a frequent basis only adds to the unrealistic feeling of multiplayer.

Comment

I like.

No attachments or perks, yes. Except for sniper scopes obviously.

No cooking grenades - I actually think grenade cooking is a pretty cool thing and it doesn't need removing - but that is as long as the nades aren't so strong. If nades are like in CoD4, then remove cooking by all means.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                          No cooking grenades - I actually think grenade cooking is a pretty cool thing and it doesn't need removing - but that is as long as the nades aren't so strong. If nades are like in CoD4, then remove cooking by all means.
                          When Promod implemented no cooked nades and reduced splash damage I, like the majority of the community, hated it. However, after playing with it, the game became much more balanced (and you could still use grenades effectively). WaW's grenades seemed to be OK, but I never played it much so it's hard to justify that thought.

Comment

Originally posted by KC-10
                            Here are points I disagree on:

No attachments - I would understand this if it was WW2, but it is modern day. Modern weapons may have various optics such as AIMPOINT or HOLOTECH attached, as well as silencers. Leaving this in would better fit the era the game takes place in.
                            Originally posted by Whiskey
                            We were discussing this as more of an "extra" mode or setting - it would not replace scoped sniper rifles in the main game.

Basically, there's a lot of players from COD, COD:UO, and COD2 (and the MOH games) who absolutely LOVED playing bolt-rifles only. It's tons of fun, really helps build aiming skill/accuracy, and prevents spray-n-pray spam. You can duel with someone for quite awhile, running, hiding, counter-attacking, without a hail of bullets.

I've even heard this mentioned in podcasts by COD4 players...many of whom miss the old bolt rifles. And, there are mods out there people have created to plug the old COD2 rifles into COD4. The problem with mods is that they tend to make a server harder to populate, and split the community.

This would be sort of a tie-in between "old" COD and the slick modern day look. Have modern bolt-action sniper rifles, but remove the scope and use iron sights. We thought that both competition players and people who enjoyed "old" COD pubbing would enjoy being able to play this mode and bring old and new players together a bit.
                            :thumbsup:

Comment

I love the no blip through wall hits idea, They should implement that in every game mode imo.

As for the whole "classic" mode thing, it sounds like a lot of fun

Even if they didn't go with a similar idea it would be good to have an option where you can remove your scope and replace it with iron sights. It's stuff like this that draws me to a game, customization.

Comment

Working...
                              X