Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope for us PC gamers?

EA: The PC is 'Rapidly Becoming the Largest Gaming Platform in the World'
    by Nick Breckon May 05, 2009 6:32pm CST tags: PC Gaming, Electronic Arts, Digital Distribution
    During a quarterly earnings call, Electronic Arts executives expressed their optimism for the digital download market on reports of strong financial progress in the sector.

EA CEO John Riccitiello reported that the company had seen its digital direct revenue grow to $400 million in the last fiscal year, while CFO Eric Brown noted that digital game distribution alone nearly doubled in revenue year-over-year to $80 million.

"This is a big year for us," said Brown. "The online part of our business is growing as much as 60% year over year."

"In terms of distribution, the way we look at a lot what's happening in the future is, we've got probably a billion PCs out there in the world," he continued. "Very rapidly the PC is becoming the largest gaming platform in the world, just not in a packaged-good product."

"As you look at what that means in terms of distribution of product, we think that's incredibly exciting because it's going to open the market to new demographics, new countries and new types of gameplay," he added.

Re: Hope for us PC gamers?

it doesnt seem to matter to them

no bf3,no PGA09,no boxing games :cry:

Comment

EA is a douche.

But I think PCs are the future of gaming...because console hardware, by its very nature imposes too many limitations on the industry.

Comment

PC gaming was dying? Huh?

As long as consoles have a gamepad, there will be PC gamers. Granted - I don't know too many console players personally but most of them prefer mouse and keyboard, but like how simple a console is, and that you can play it with friends easier instead of sitting at the computer in a dark corner.

Now if only PC developers would man up and stop dumbing down their games. There's a reason CS and CS:S are the most played FPS games, and Quake Live had over 100.000 signups on the first day of the open beta.

Comment

Originally posted by xRAMBOx
          it doesnt seem to matter to them

no bf3,no PGA09,no boxing games :cry:
          Just because you can't go out and buy them off the shelves doesn't mean they don't exist. Games have to be developed first

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
            Now if only PC developers would man up and stop dumbing down their games. There's a reason CS and CS:S are the most played FPS games, and Quake Live had over 100.000 signups on the first day of the open beta.
            Past few years, gaming has reached a wider audience, and that includes the non-gamers. That appears to be where the money is. This is already evident with games like Battlefield Heroes.

You can't blame devs and publishers for trying to earn the big money, but I do have your same intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
              Your statement is highly contradictory. CS:S is one of the most dumbed downed games ever... but that is why it is so popular. It's easily accessible by beginners (in terms of gameplay, not skill). Think about how much the game varies?

There are a few games modes, different maps and skins, but the tangible gameplay itself is very, very simplistic. Same with Team Fortress 2

Comment

Depends on your opponents. CSS is seen as easy at a first glance but when you come face to face with better players, you're not gonna last long without a lot of practice. Same with TF2, easy to pick up and play but that is just because the majority of pub players have the reflexes of an 80 year old. And has zero coordination. (no offense pub players)

I don't mean dumbed down as in accessible. It's more of a, hard to explain, feeling of how developers more and more step away from what for me personally defines an FPS game, most skilled and coordinated team/player wins. In TF2 they threw in criticals - luckily you can turn them off together with random weapon damage. CoD4/5 has perks. etc etc.

CS:S might not be the best example though because it is "easier" than 1.6.

Comment

Consoles and PCs both have a place. I used to play on a console but haven´t done for a very long time. Nothing beats mouse and keyboard, but above all:

Strategy and simulation games will keep PC gaming alive imo. You can play COD4 on PC or console but try playing FSX, Lock On or company of heroes for example on a console.

Its just no where near as good, not to mention it doesn´t exist. Age of empires did, that sucked hard on console.

People who are in for a simple quick game with friends will enjoy the console, for those with an interest for the more complicated "hardcore" games PC is the only way imo.

Comment

I'm simply waiting for BF3. These other games don't hold my attention for long. One needs a good crew to tackle some of these games and the market is all fragmented with people playing all different kind of games on various platforms to get a good crew together. There's simply too much to do with too many "options"... that's what I think is wrong with the CoD games. They allow all these different server variables instead of just saying ,"This is the game and how you play it."

I love playing BF2 with the AIX2 mod. I could do that day and night, yet I'm hoping for a successor to arrive before I'm too old to game.

What's this I've heard about Duke Forever not being released on the PC? I cry now.

Comment

no boxing games :cry:
                      Here you go

Comment

The biggest gaming platform is also the fastest growing.

I don't think hope is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                          Just because you can't go out and buy them off the shelves doesn't mean they don't exist. Games have to be developed first
                          wtf do you have a retarded answer for everything

Originally posted by CrAzY eYeD cAt =^O.o^=
                          LOL i dont want to be WM'D by bush

Comment

wtf do you have a retarded answer for everything
                            No, you have a retarded logic and question for everything

Comment

Its good to hear that EA is making a connection between an increase in digital downloads with the PC becoming the largest gaming platform in the world....makes no sense to me. Only conclusion i make from that would be the fact that PC Gamers might be getting lazier, and the key word there is might.

I don't like EA and that article just backs up my distaste for them. They're a huge company and have over the years began to adopt a mentality that they simply own all that is video gaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X