Dynamic Map Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic Map Size?

Whatever happened to the dynamic map switching feature that BF2 was touted to have? I took a look at one of my old PC gaming magazines and read about an relatively early version of BF2 and all the stuff it was 'supposed' to have.

Originally, DICE was to have a whopping 100 player load in a single server -- and they would all be playing on a ginormous map.

However, this presents a problem (even with things the way they are now, actually) if only 22 players showed up -- players wouldn't be able to find each other! So DICE's solution (quite a brilliant one, at that) was a dynamically sizing map.

So instead of the seperate 16, 32 and 64 size maps we have today -- it would be grouped all into one neat package. Sounds awesome, doesn't it? Maps would be made of 3 circles and the (outer) circles would be enabled/disabled as people join/leave. If players are caught outside the circle when the map shrinks/enlargens -- they would be killed (without any point loss) and given a chance to respawn in a more appropriate location.

And helicopters originally had ropes to deploy troops Apparently up to 10 players could hang from them WHILE shooting. Scary!

Though I seriously doubt DICE will reintroduce these features, since they probably didn't include in them first place because of... complications, I guess. But isn't it neat hearing about stuff that was originally gonna be in the game?

Re: Dynamic Map Size?

Pre-game hype speculations...

Comment

What?

Comment

Those are all ideas that are tossed around during brainstorm/pot smoking sessions. Then the engineers and programmers report back that they can not, in fact, have ice cream served from a DVD-RW drive.

Comment

I have that version. You mean you guys don't?

Comment

I think he's talking about the map size changing while the game is actually going on, and players come and go. You might start off with 16 players on a small map, but if more players joined, the map would automatically expand...if players quit the server, the map would shrink, again automatically (and kill anyone outside of the "new" smaller perimeter).

Interesting idea in concept, but much harder to do in practice. I'm not sure how much people would like it, in any case.

Comment

that would be pretty cool....if you could get it to work right.....

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_Diplomat
                Those are all ideas that are tossed around during brainstorm/pot smoking sessions. Then the engineers and programmers report back that they can not, in fact, have ice cream served from a DVD-RW drive.
                Made me laugh.

Comment

I lol'd :laugh:

The dynamic map sounds good, but imagine the complaints when the map resized smaller and peeps get killed out of bounds :dead:

Comment

nah, dice are WAY to lazy for this to ever happen

Comment

BF2 was also supposed to have dynamic player classes - example: if you were always in an aircraft, your player would walk around with all of the pilot gear on. Would have been awesome because then people would have different outfits and such depending on their playstyle (and possibly tweaked kits).

The dynamic map size sounds good in theory, but imagine if you were a sniper and suddenly the map shrunk when you were on the outskirts, it just wouldn't be any fun. Having servers made for a specific amount of players and maintaining a consistent map size was a better decision in my opinion, though it could have been tweaked to prevent the 16 slot servers on a 64-size karkand.

Comment

Working...
                      X