Attitude towards Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attitude towards Piracy

After reading This article I was thinking, do you think all game developers should do this? Or continue to fight them and ignore the piracy community completely and stick it to the back of their mind and continue to say "Restrictive DRM works"?

Re: Attitude towards Piracy

Originally posted by Frantic
    After reading This article I was thinking, do you think all game developers should do this? Or continue to fight them and ignore the piracy community completely and stick it to the back of their mind and continue to say "Restrictive DRM works"?
    What they do will have absolutely no effect on piracy numbers, it's something of an empty gesture.

I don't know the answer to the piracy issue, limited installs certainly isn't it but neither is a world without any DRM at all (that would be a fairly unrealistic utopia). I think perhaps, it all lies in online activation and key checks.

Obviously this would mean having to be on the Internet 24/7 (not much problem with increasing use of broadband), but people will still complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
      Obviously this would mean having to be on the Internet 24/7 (not much problem with increasing use of broadband), but people will still complain.
      Actually, with most ISPs leaning towards traffic caps, there would be a good reason to complain. Being required to use it more, but allowed to use it less? Yeah, that will go over really well. :shakehead:

Comment

Finally a place where I can comment about torrents and so on

I find that if they want to stop the piracy of music and games and tv.
        That they should do a lot of things, like these ones:

- Make the stuff cheaper
        Nobody is so ****ing crazy to pay 25€ for one number, while he can download, even with a subscription of 15 euro, a unnumbered quantity of music. What is legal, as long as you not share it.

- Make less commercials
        Yes the world is made by it, but making commercials each 5 minutes or 15 or 25 minutes, the same all the time. Is like saying to your viewers: Don't watch to us, it's saver to kill yourself. Also, commercials are really bad for children: FAST FOOD!

- Make games saver
        Yeah afcorse it's easy to hack, but as you get errors all the time with the cd's and not wanna spend 50 euro for the same thing you bought yet, people wanna find things to illegaly play them. Now there is enough safety, but with the deamon tools thing and ISO things, even babies, like me, can make a game that normally cost 100 euro, now cost 0.000 with even better quality and knowing that it will never be lost, until the pc itself is dead or the safe meganism is gone.

With this stuff, yeah it is possible to stop this piracy. But as long as that not gonna happen it's useless.

Oh and about the music: Make cd's that fit on pc's to: THINK ABOUT IPODS! They create illegal downloading: Because no stupid man pay 0.99 cent for a song.

Comment

Your logic is awfully flawed, allow me to correct your uneducated views

Originally posted by Herdervriend
          - Make the stuff cheaper
          Nobody is so ****ing crazy to pay 25€ for one number, while he can download, even with a subscription of 15 euro, a unnumbered quantity of music. What is legal, as long as you not share it.
          Agreed, media is generally too expensive. But I disagree that making it cheaper will effect piracy rates. Firstly, they are not going to be able to reduce the price of games or music by $10, let alone something meagre such as $2.

To do that, they would have to either take a serious hit on their revenue streams or find some unbelievable means of saving costs which can then be passed onto the customer.

While software and music can be acquired for a cost, it's human nature to take it for free.

- Make less commercials
          Yes the world is made by it, but making commercials each 5 minutes or 15 or 25 minutes, the same all the time. Is like saying to your viewers: Don't watch to us, it's saver to kill yourself. Also, commercials are really bad for children: FAST FOOD!
          Are we still talking about games... or music... or DVD's?

Apart from games, I don't see where adverts come into this? Anyway, adverts are a great stream of revenue which can be used to help develop more DLC or even reduce the cost to the customer (such as Battlefield Heroes).

- Make games saver
          Yeah afcorse it's easy to hack, but as you get errors all the time with the cd's and not wanna spend 50 euro for the same thing you bought yet, people wanna find things to illegaly play them. Now there is enough safety, but with the deamon tools thing and ISO things, even babies, like me, can make a game that normally cost 100 euro, now cost 0.000 with even better quality and knowing that it will never be lost, until the pc itself is dead or the safe meganism is gone.
          Judging by your language and rather immature ability to think things through, i'm going to guess you are not the most PC literate person ever? If you are having tons of problems with CD's and DVD's not working, then that is probably your own doing, as they work fine for 99% of people.

I find from experience and watching others, people have more problems using cracks, especially since they edit the executable code.

Oh and about the music: Make cd's that fit on pc's to: THINK ABOUT IPODS! They create illegal downloading: Because no stupid man pay 0.99 cent for a song.
          I simply don't understand what you are trying to say :|:

Comment

This is exactly my stance on buying music. Most of the music I buy is by lesser-known and independent artists.

I don't care much for the bank balances of these super-rich artists and bands, and I care even less for the accounts of the record companies that pocket 70+% of the C.D price. (Yes I understand there's a slight contradiction here, but it's all relative)

Saying that, I buy all my games and movies. Simply because there's a multitude of complications when torrenting them.

Originally posted by Alex98uk
            Originally Posted by Herdervriend View Post
            I simply don't understand what you are trying to say :|:
            I think he's blaming Apples pricing scheme for single-handedly starting digital piracy. :weo:

Comment

I buy all my games, and music I'll usually buy if I really like the artist/album. If I only like one or two songs, I don't want to waste €20 on a 12 track album. I suspect many do the same.

While I think artists should get payed for their music, it's too expensive for most people, and the copyright laws are too strict at the moment.

Many record companies/artists are stuck in the old way of thinking. For example when youtube is forced to mute videos or similar, if anything that is great advertisement for the artists. It's not like everyone that watches youtube videos goes to pirate it instead of buying it later. I've found many good artists through frag videos lol.

Not to mention, that a large part of those people that pirate a certain album or movie, probably never would have bought it in the first place.

Comment

Why don't they just have DRM like the BF games had? It seemed to be a pretty good way to activate, and if you didn't have a good key, you can't play online.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodus
                  Why don't they just have DRM like the BF games had? It seemed to be a pretty good way to activate, and if you didn't have a good key, you can't play online.
                  Most do, it's more the games with an offline, singleplayer element that are at risk.

Comment

Most of the time I just stream some internet radio if I'm just sitting around at the comp or am with the iPhone.

Comment

I buy all my games, but I only get about two games a year. I don't use very much money on games at all.

Comment

I may have explained this before, but my view on piracy is this.

Due to my hideously horrible luck when it comes to technology, I have had to wipe three HDDs FULL of large amounts of Mp3s and other media. Originally almost 100% of it was paid for flat out. By the fourth HDD I was unable to pay for one single song - there is no way I am spending the same amount of money I did 3 times to get all my songs back, its just as simple as that. So I do stuff.

I have bought all of my favorite albums, it's just the in between ones that make up the majority of music, and the the majority of what I... download.

Comment

@ Kyle : But if you bought the music then you would still have it? Or did you throw away the CDs after importing them onto your HDD?

I think the iTunes store works like Steam, where you can download the songs as much as you like and have access to them on your other computers - so long as only one account is 'logged in' to the iTunes store at once (like Steam) - I think?

---

Digital Distribution seems to be the right way forward, I <3 Steam because of the weekend deals, but also because I can go to other side of the world and use someone elses computer and still access my games.

That's another thing, many games don't get shipped to certain countries so the only way they can get access to those games is either via illegal methods or through a digital distribution service... however not all games get released onto those services.

There was an article a few months back (which is also referenced in the article that Frantic links to) where Valve talks about how pirates are consumers too. I think Game Developers should work towards a "sort of weird" relationship with pirates. Not everyone in the world wants to pirate a game, they only do it for X and Y reasons. Game Developers should work into finding out those X and Y reasons and trying to compromise.

For instance, I hate it when a new game that I might be interested in doesn't have any option to 'try' it out, whether through a public beta, demo, or even a 24-hour trail (like L4D last Friday). Although it may be too much work/effort to create a demo, and I'm sure Game Developers probably try and predict there game sales and decide whether to create a demo to help prevent piracy or hope that there game is interesting enough (or there MP is good enough) that the sales will do just fine without demos.

Comment

I dont think i have to worry about billionaires

Comment

I stopped downloading games a long time ago, tended to find viruses on them. I also stopped downloading music when paid for downlaod services got better, so generally buy the songs of itunes these days, unless I can't find it anywhere apart from the not so legal means. I also don't download films anymore. The only thing I still download are TV programs, as I treat it as if I recorded it from telivision. If I like the TV program enough after watching it, I buy the DVD, if not it tends to get deleted.

I think that the "try before you buy" statement is quite a good one for freely downloading things, but if you like it, you should deifnately buy it.

Limited Installs is a pathetic way to combat piracy as it only punishes legitimate users, as those illegitimate ones would have most likely cracked it anyway. Software activaion is fine for Windows as it most don't reinstall it that often, but other software should really have a limited amount of activations imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X