ArmA2 or OFP: DR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA2 or OFP: DR

Which game do You think would be better? Armed Assault 2, or operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising?

Re: ArmA2 or OFP: DR

Depends.

OF2 has slightly better graphics, slightly bigger map and vehicles get dirty as you use them.

ArmA2 has the gameplay from the OF1 and ArmA1 (which is what military sims is all about), more units (OF2 has no jets), more towns, most user compatibility (modding/edditing).

Both have great reviews.

Comment

Why choose just one?

From what I've read, it seems that ArmA2 will be a more true, in-depth/hardcore simulation (and I believe it's actually made by the creators of OPFlashpoint1).

OPFlashpoint2 seems to look a little better, and will have a mode that will lean a bit more toward an easier-to-play, more arcadey/faster action type of game, which should help to attract a bit of a wider audience that may not care for a deeper sim.

Seems like there'll be something for everyone.

I haven't played either franchise before, but I've been doing a bit of research before these are released, as they both interest me and I'll probably give them both a spin.

Comment

I personally didn't like the combat in Armed Assault, to me it was just an overpriced screenshot simulator with a great modding community. I hope that both of these will bring better combat to the series.

Comment

None really

But out of those two, OFP2 from what I've seen

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
            (and I believe it's actually made by the creators of OPFlashpoint1).
            Correct.

Originally posted by iQue
            But out of those two, OFP2 from what I've seen
            The question is, what have you seen? All of the screenshots are prerendered, along with the trailer, there is about 2 movies which don't show gameplay. Then there is the console version they showed which isn't exactly a very big video.

Comment

Originally posted by [202K]1|Unt.Pieman'
              The question is, what have you seen? All of the screenshots are prerendered, along with the trailer, there is about 2 movies which don't show gameplay. Then there is the console version they showed which isn't exactly a very big video.
              I haven't seen too much of it tbh but I'm judging it based on how boring ArmA was and that OFP1 still was a pretty ok game in my opinion...

I'm probably not gonna buy any of them anyway, not into "realism"

Comment

I have been a big fan of OFP having owned the GOTY edition i got so many mods (to begin with FFUR) i will go with OFP 2 having high hopes that its more merciful than this older brother.

Comment

I plan to try both, OFP2 does look better though personally. Never really got into ArmA.

Comment

Pieman, that is wrong.

ArmA 2 has a bigger map. OFP2 is a string of islands, including a lot of water.

If you want the definitive combat simulator - go for ArmA 2. If you want an introduction to ArmA 2 while coming from CoD 4, go for OFP: DR.

ArmA 2 will be far better due to its realism and coherent storyline.

DR's storyline: Russians find oil in an island to the East. Chinese attack to prevent mining for oil. Russians call for American help. That doesn't sound right does it?

ArmA 2 is not an eye-candy game, and it can hold its own against DR in terms of graphics.

I also trust the developers of ArmA 2 more than Codemasters who have not released any quality gameplay videos. Either way, support the people making an experience that truly immerses you into war. Buy ArmA 2.

ArmA 2 features jets, which further the immersion into a fully-functioning battlefield.

I do advise people to buy DR as practice before ArmA 2, unless you are truly happy and confident on your skill straight on a truly realistic battlefield.

Comment

I totally agree with KC-10, if you want a true combat sim, go for arma2. Although it's still a lot of fun, it's realistic too. Whereas DR is more arcady in it's execution and style.

Originally posted by KC-10
                      Pieman, that is wrong.

ArmA 2 has a bigger map. OFP2 is a string of islands, including a lot of water.
                      Really? I heard that it was one 220km squared island. I apologise.

Comment

Sorry Pieman, but the wait for ArmA 2 is just so suspenseful. I apologise for getting too defensive.

Dragon Rising is a string of (resembling the Aleutian chain) islands, a long string. Not exactly separated by water, but there are several, large bays in which the land narrows down. This eats out of the playable area.

Armed Assault 2 is 220km sq of a map, with small islands off its coast.

Dragon Rising is 29x10 km sq I think (I can't find solid information). While I like the cold setting, I think ArmA 2 deserves a lot more credit than it is receiving.

Comment

I agree, I am going for ArmA2, but I guess I've gotten my numbers mixed up.

OF2 has released near to nothing, currently people are judging everything on one or two videos.

Comment

Personally i would get Arma 2 even though i havent even played OFP1 or arma1. Its just i read about what happened with Bohemien int. and that i kinda feel sorry for them that the franchise they created is continued by someone else

Comment

I'm hoping one of them is somewhere in between BF2 and ARMA.

Just couldn't get in ARMA. Knew it was in the right direction, just a tad too far.

Comment

Working...
                              X