No More Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Heroes

I saw No More Heroes going cheap and I seem to remember Yahtzee not hating it so I was thinking of picking it up as our wii games collection is pretty poor!

Yahtzee No More Heroes Review

Anyone played it?

Re: No More Heroes

If Yahtzee thinks a game is half-decent its probably a must-buy

Asides from a few frame-rate issues at some points, I had good fun with this game. Definitely worth a buy on the cheap.

Comment

Its good. Go buy it. Nao

Comment

I haz eet. Beware: euphemisms ahoy, matey!

Most important information about NMH: 1 player only, has secret endings, developed by Suda 51, has mother****ing lightsaber duels :awes, utilizes quicktime events rather well without being excessively tiresome like most wii games, stars Travis Touchdown (a perpetual "otaku" with a desire for "kitty", so he decides to assassinate people to get said "kittycat". He also rides a motorcyle because he is bad@ss like that.), has an upcoming sequel, and some of the most outrageous moments you will ever see.

I like it, but it feels very repetitive at times. The grinding for money is slightly more fun with the wii because you can flail around with a freaking lightsaber, but at the end of the day it's still grinding. This grinding becomes more taxing when you try to buy most of the useful, collectible items in the game. They really should have lowered the prices for some of this crap. The overworld's drab and boring, graphics won't impress anyone (although they are somewhat stylized, so they aren't as bad as they could be), enemy variety is a little weak ((normal enemies too) bosses attack, you defend/dodge (DO A BARREL ROLL ^.^), you whail on them for a while, pattern repeats.) , hidden items aren't actually hidden (they show up on the radar at least in the overworld, but are ridiculously hard to dig up, even when you seem to be standing on top of the treasure), and the combat can devolve to spastic flails, yet you'll probably still win.

Some interesting things I noticed: I experienced one of the slowest curb stomps ever. I was knocked down to the ground when I was surrounded by several enemies, but instead of allowing me to jump up and slice their heads off, they kept stepping on Travis's body, lowering his health and forcing him to stay on the ground. Was painful to watch.

More interesting things: As Yahtzee said, the random element that can result in Travis's superpower mode without anything to do/kill is a problem, but randomness is part of the fun of the game. You can get these powers at any time, so if you really need it, don't need it, or just want to mess around, it's possible; you just have to be lucky.

Even more interesting things: I'm pretty sure the immaturity award goes to NMH. So many curse words, lewd allusions, and randy sequences will have you questioning "how did NMH ever get past the ESRB?". Almost all the characters are wildly sexual or wear skimpy clothing while running around waving long, hard poles. Definitely not for kids, just "mature" gamers (perverts ).

Some more things I noticed: Cars have extremely large hitboxes, so you can collide with them even though on the screen, you can be clearly shown not touching them. The enemies never seem to take advantage of Travis "recharging" his beam saber. If it were me, this is when I would attack because Travis is pretty much useless without a charged sword. They just kind of stand there and wait; even some of the bosses seem to wait for the player to be ready again. Not exactly ruthless AI.

It's definitely very unique with a funny story filled with entertaining, over-the-top, and satirical and parodic moments/characters/spectacles, so you should probably check it out; just don't expect it to quench your thirst completely because there are some rough edges the developers (Suda 51) could have smoothed. The combat and odd-job minigames that separate the major assassinations are entertaining, but repetition is what kills their fun. If it wasn't essentially a requirement to have to repeat them so many times to earn the money you need, I would probably have enjoyed this game way more. The customization elements (clothes, optional wrestling moves, collectible wrestling cards, customizable lightsabers, "hidden" lokikov balls, etc.) can prove to be rewarding and allow for new experiences each playthrough. Even though I'm mainly bashing NMH, I'm still way excited for the sequel because more lightsaber assassins equals more fun.

I was thinking of reviewing NMH sometime in summer, but I've pretty much said everything really important about the game already. I guess I won't "officially" review it unless someone wants me to go more in-depth. Or...I could hijack this thread and review it right here, like I pretty much just did. :P

Hope this helps you, Hawkers. I hope you can forgive me.

Comment

Working...
        X