I hate Punkbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Punkbuster

PB has got to be the least user-friendly piece of software still being used.

Yesterday I was kicked for "Restriction: Corrupted File/Memory [120148]". Turns out it was Fraps, which was used for a hack a while back, so they kicked for all non-current versions of Fraps.

And once I get kicked from the server: just a blank box titled "Punkbuster". Why can't PB be more helpful and tell exactly what happened? Their site doesn't even explain the errors, you have to Google them. Why can't PB have global messages annoying things like this that would cause a huge amount of false positives. Or at least be more specific in the error messages.

Re: I hate Punkbuster

Punkbuster is crap. It doesn't really stop cheaters.

Comment

are you sure it was because of fraps? I recently used it while playing BF2 and BF2142 without being kicked. I would test it out but i am at work.

i guess it is:

Homepage for Total Gaming Network and CS-Nation. Get the latest video game news, previews, and reviews on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerus
        are you sure it was because of fraps? I recently used it while playing BF2 and BF2142 without being kicked. I would test it out but i am at work.
        Are you using 2.9.8? All older versions are getting kicked, and a lot of people are getting it. Stuff like Xfire also causes it too.

I went from 2.9.7 to 2.9.8 and it fixed it for me, no other changes.

Comment

I've never had much trouble with PB, and it to be honest I can't imagine what the situation would be without it. Of course it doesn't stop all cheaters, but can you name a program that does?

By no means am I saying PB is perfect, but I think it does a pretty good job.

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
          Turns out it was Fraps, which was used for a hack a while back, so they kicked for all non-current versions of Fraps.
          Correct.

# The latest versions of Fraps and Xfire are now compatible with Punkbuster. Update both applications to prevent being kicked from Battlefield
          1:07 PM Apr 19th from web

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
            Are you using 2.9.8? All older versions are getting kicked, and a lot of people are getting it. Stuff like Xfire also causes it too.

I went from 2.9.7 to 2.9.8 and it fixed it for me, no other changes.
            i forget the version. i paid for my copy so i have registered version. Will get the latest.

Comment

Thanks for this thread... I have been getting the same error out of the blue for the past 2 days. I just finished reinstalling the game (only to still get the same damn error)

I was about have a melt down.

Comment

yeah i was gettin the same eroor, did a complater reinstal

b4 i tried to update pb too and xfire is always updated, duuno bout fraps though

Comment

punkbuster just hates every one

Comment

Working...
                  X