Bf2 wont even open after 1.41 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bf2 wont even open after 1.41 update

Hi. I recently wanted to start playing battlefield 2 again, so I installed it. It loaded up just fine and I could get into any server.. I then patched it to 1.41 full (downloaded directly from EA's site, and it goes to a black screen for a second then back to my desktop. No error or anything.

Any help is appreciated.:salute:

Re: Bf2 wont even open after 1.41 update

specs?

Comment

Amd athlon x2 5200@ 2.6ghz

xfx geforce 9800 gt 512mb

gigabyte m61p-s3

gskill ddr2 800mhz 2gb ram

ocz 650W

WD 80gb hd/seagate 80gb hd

note: I have played just fine before after patching. The patcher has never once "failed" at random points like now.

Comment

the black screen is usually a symptom of a display problem, so make sure you have selected the correct resolution that your monitor can handle, by editing the shortcut (right click the bf2 icon, properties, shortcut) and adding the resolution info at the end like this:

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

otherwise it could be that the refresh rate isn't correct, in which case follow the instructions in this thread http://www.totalgamingnetwork.com/ma...ad.php?t=91843

it's about widescreen but it shows how to change display settings without launching the game.

If that all fails you could always try a total uninstall, reinstall and repatch, just in case it works.

If problems persist update your graphics driver.

Hope you get it to work...

Comment

My monitors max resolution is 1600x1200 and thats what i run everything at.

Its not widescreen

Ive tried uninstalls and repatching even both in safe mode, but still doesnt work.

Oh well, if this doesnt work, then im not even going to bother. When I first installed bf2 a year ago with 1.41 out it worked fine. Oh wellz

Comment

update your graphics driver?

Comment

no no no and how about no. Ya see they added widescreen support for BF2 in this patch. Go into your My documents/BF2 folder and make sure that all or the video options match the usual res.

I changed mine after install to 1440x900 in the video options. After I reverted back to 1.41 My BF2 did that exact same thing. I ran it in windowed made and saw that the resolution wasnt supported that the 1.5 patch changed my options to.

Talk to me tommorrow when Im havent had a few too many and I can explain it better.

Comment

After you get into game with the 1.5 patch and change your video resolution to what your monitor supports it stays that way even if you revert back to 1.4. After reverting back to 1.41 you need to go to these to locations.

D:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default/video.con

D:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\????/video.con

In both of those files you will see this "VideoSettings.setResolution ????x????@??"

To play 1.41 change the ????x????@?? back to default which is 800x600@60Hz.

Viola you can now play BF2 1.41 again.

Comment

Oh 1.5 is out now!

@ Dad, ive already updated my video drivers. I check nvidias site everyday.

Im going to install, patch to 1.41, and patch to 1.5 and see how it works out.

ill post back later, thanks for the help

Comment

I'm pretty sure I fixed it by loading up BF2 right after installing/restarting and changing video settings to my desktop resolution.

The patcher failed a few times, but I took a stick of ram out and it worked.

Playing 1.5 atm!

Comment

Originally posted by [TTC/TW/21CW]Shoxie
                      After you get into game with the 1.5 patch and change your video resolution to what your monitor supports it stays that way even if you revert back to 1.4. After reverting back to 1.41 you need to go to these to locations.

D:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default/video.con

D:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\????/video.con

In both of those files you will see this "VideoSettings.setResolution ????x????@??"

To play 1.41 change the ????x????@?? back to default which is 800x600@60Hz.

Viola you can now play BF2 1.41 again.

I had exactly the same problem as the OP and this fixed it!! Thanks a bunch mate! +rep

Comment

Working...
                      X