cod5 starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cod5 starting issues

so i reinstalled this game last night and when i try to start both the multiplayer or single player a message will pop up telling me that

binkw32.dll

was not found. and then i get the "this program has stopped working" message

this might be an xfire issue but im not totally sure. when i start bf2142 i get a similar message except it is wscok32.dll or something like that, but its only when xfire is running, and then the game still starts up anyways.

with cod5 i get this message whether xfire is running or not, and the game never starts

i downloaded patch 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 off xfire i dont know do i need to install all of the patches first? or is this something else that one of you might know about?

i already tried reinstalling the game. the same thing happens.

Re: cod5 starting issues

The wsock32.dll is a more serious isue. That is a winsock file problem with Windows itself. Usually that error is not related to any game, but is an operating system problem. You can try running sfc /scannow from the RUN option in the START menu. You may need your windows discs at a certain point.

The binkw32.dll is part of the RAD Tools for the Bink Media codec. It just happens Empire:Total War uses that along with a number of other games. I dont think Battlefield or CoD uses it though. Chances are if you reinstall a game that does have the Bink codec, it will fix that issue.

Also, CoD:WW had a 1.1 patch on release. I dont know if you have incremental patches, but that is one that is missing from your list.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

k so i looked in some other spots and 1 person said to see if the file is in your system32 folder, delete it in there and paste it in the cod5 program folder.

couldnt find it in my system32 folder and there was already one in the cod5 folder.

another person said to change your sound properties (right clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom of your desktop) to 48khz and that didnt do anything either.

im stll thinking this might be something with xfire because i wasnt getting any of those funny messages with bf2142 until i installed xfire and i DID have cod5 installed on my computer and i WAS playing it a while back. so im not really sure what the deal is now.

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
      I dont think Battlefield or CoD uses it though. Chances are if you reinstall a game that does have the Bink codec, it will fix that issue.

Also, CoD:WW had a 1.1 patch on release. I dont know if you have incremental patches, but that is one that is missing from your list.

Crunch
      I said i did try reinstalling and it didnt work

and then i did download the 1.1 patch just not off xfire

do i need to install the patches before it will even work for some reason? which wouldnt really make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Field
        k so i looked in some other spots and 1 person said to see if the file is in your system32 folder, delete it in there and paste it in the cod5 program folder.

couldnt find it in my system32 folder and there was already one in the cod5 folder.

another person said to change your sound properties (right clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom of your desktop) to 48khz and that didnt do anything either.

im stll thinking this might be something with xfire because i wasnt getting any of those funny messages with bf2142 until i installed xfire and i DID have cod5 installed on my computer and i WAS playing it a while back. so im not really sure what the deal is now.

I said i did try reinstalling and it didnt work

and then i did download the 1.1 patch just not off xfire

do i need to install the patches before it will even work for some reason? which wouldnt really make sense.
        When I said reinstall, I meant the other game that would use BINK media tools.

If you think its Xfire, then reinstall it. It shouldnt be too hard to try that. You know your system better than I do.

As for the patches, you're right, it shouldn't matter if any are installed or not.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
          When I said reinstall, I meant the other game that would use BINK media tools.

Crunch
          what other game

Comment

what other game
            If you have another game that uses the RAD multimedia tools.

You may not have any other game than Battlefield and CoD, which I dont think they use those tools. I dont know that for sure though, but when I looked at my boxes, they did not mention Bink codecs.

Crunch

Comment

i have left4dead, css, mirrors edge, cod4 and bf2142 atm

i also tried reinstalling xfire and that didnt do it either. hmm

Comment

BF2/2142 uses .bik files for the intro movies.

Comment

binkw32.dll is not a bik file

Comment

binkw32.dll is not a bik file
                    It's a codec for Bink files.

Comment

so you guys got any other idea wtf is going on?

Comment

Try this site out. it gives you a couple way of fixing your problem.

Comment

thanks for the link
                          \
                          ok for some reason now i can play the game but only when i start it with selecting D drive in MyComputer which is kind of annoying i wouldlike to be able to start the game without the disk from the icons

Comment

ok this is interesting the game acts differently depending on where you move the applications and the dll file. you can take the waw folder and just put it on the desktop and then start the game from in the folder but you DO need to have the cd in for some reason. you DO need to have the dll file in the same folder as the start applications but then if you try and put the apps AND the dll file on the desktop that doesnt work either. oh well i guess i AM able to play but its not as easy or pretty as before. i would kind of prefer to have teh nice looking bronze star icon to click on and not have to have the stinky cd in the drive

another really wierd one youll get is if you copy the apps and dll and put the copies on the desktop but leave the originals in the file folder and you try and start the game with the desktop ones you get a

WIN_IMPROPER_QUIT_BODY

with a 'yes' 'no' and 'cancel'

like wtf is that

Comment

is the game showing up in your game explorer?

Comment

Working...
                              X