Game freeze when joining Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game freeze when joining Match

Just updated to the new patch, and tried to join a game. I attempt to join the game, but it pauses at "Awaiting Connection...1..", the sound dies and quits responding. I've already had to adjust my sound so I can hear the game, and updated my drivers. Can anyone explain what's wrong here?

Edit:
    What was likely the problem was a failure to update from v1.2-v1.3. The problem was solved with a full reinstall and re-patch job ...hopefully.

Re: Game freeze when joining Match

If you have a firewall up (ie. ZoneAlarm), you have to re-allow CODWW to access the Net. Every time a patch is released, the .exe is changed and firewalls often have to be reminded to let it through.

I get this every time as well when I access the server list for the first time after patching...I have to alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete out of the game and re-allow ZoneAlarm before I can play.

Try that first.

If you are trying to join a custom-map (unranked) server, there is sometimes an error with this as well. Again, ctrl+alt+delete out, then re-try.

Comment

Didn't work. I'm running Vista. I went into control panel -> Windows Firewall -> Allow a program through windows firewall -> added CODWaW and CODWaWmp to allowed programs.

I ran the game, same result. Did I do something wrong?

Comment

I'm not familiar with Vista, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

Are you having this problem with all servers, or just one? Try to connect to others and see if you can get through.

Are you using the in-game server browser to search for and connect to games, or are you using XFire/etc? If the latter, it's possible that the server you're trying to reach might be a different version than your game, so you can't get through.

Comment

It seems to be any server I try to join, the same result happens. I am also attempting to join the servers using the in-game browser. The only time I noticed something different was when I attempted to join a game that wasn't running the new patch. It didn't freeze, and gave me the "this server isn't running the updated patch" notice and put me back in the server selection browser.

Comment

That error is you attempting to join a server that hasnt been updated yet.

Refresh your browser and try connecting to a server that you can see. You may just have a conflict with the servers not yet updated.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
              That error is you attempting to join a server that hasnt been updated yet.

Refresh your browser and try connecting to a server that you can see. You may just have a conflict with the servers not yet updated.

Crunch
              I attempted to join a server that was playing a new map "Knee Deep," but only got the same result. Gotta love spending more time fixing the game than playing it...

Comment

Originally posted by MechaManguskahn
                I attempted to join a server that was playing a new map "Knee Deep," but only got the same result. Gotta love spending more time fixing the game than playing it...
                Just checking...before this, were you already patched to v1.3, or were you still back at v1.2?

Are you able to start a MP server on your own PC and run around on the new maps?
                How about running the new Verruckt zombie mode in SP?

Comment

I'm quite certain I patched to v1.3 before this. I just tried typing this in the console: /connect 69.90.34.239:28960, and it worked after getting the same "freeze" but it unfroze. I tried again, without typing the console command (since it just made me join some random server) and waited, but it just froze at the "Awaiting Connection...1.." and then timed out with a server authentication error message.

This is just getting weirder and weirder.

Comment

waited, but it just froze at the "Awaiting Connection...1.." and then timed out with a server authentication error message.
                    Ah, that was going to be my next comment/question. The Server Auth bug is an annoying one, and a fair number of people have it. It's possible that the new patch may have brought this bug to you now, unfortunately, and is related to your other problem. But there are work-arounds for that, too.

Here's a couple to help you:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Aw jeez, that bug again... I decided to just reinstall the game, and I'm going to just repatch everything so I'm sure I'm not missing anything (Haven't played in a long time due to internet connection woes).

Comment

Aw jeez, that bug again... I decided to just reinstall the game, and I'm going to just repatch everything so I'm sure I'm not missing anything (Haven't played in a long time due to internet connection woes).
                        Not a bad idea. Be sure to back up your Players/Profiles folder if you want to save your ranks and stuff.

Also be sure to patch to v1.3 before you install the patch v1.4. The way it's named is misleading, but you need 1.3 before installing 1.4.

Good luck.

Comment

Looks like its working so far. Had a punkbuster kick due to taking too long to update, so I'm updating punkbuster now.

Comment

Working...
                          X