How It Could Have Been Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How It Could Have Been Better

When I first saw the initial cinematic trailer for Battlefield 2142, I thought the game would be awesome, and it was. The thing I loved the most was the loading music, and the backstory. The trailer sent chills down my spine, especially those final words, "The battle for Earth, had begun." There were some things that lacked in the final release, though.

For one thing, the graphics. The engine used by the Battlefield series was created in 1999, and it really shows at times. This could be tolerable, when you consider the fact that games such as Crysis, with high-end graphics, have weak multiplayer. Although, in the initial alpha shown at E3, the graphics seemed much better.

When the alpha was shown at E3, the interface looked amazing. The lines that showed the combat zone restrictions were an icy pale blue, fitting to the bleak, icy setting, and the HUD for titan mode looked mature and realistic. In the final release, the titan mode HUD was very cartoony looking. Instead of health bars for each titan, you had a little shillouette. Finally - this is a minor thing - but at the end of comm messages, there was a little "click" noise in the alpha.

In the E3 trailer for the game, you see the PAC firing weapons on the Titan. I have observed that in-game, firing weapons on the Titan is useless. The only thing that causes damage to the Titan is the missiles. In addition to that, the missiles fired at the Titan's shield, which seems to emit some sort of EMP blast, are the only things that can weaken the shields. An EMP blast from orbit, far more powerful than the BLOC-2 ATM, does nothing. Oh and also, the Titans seemed to have a lot more nooks and crannies, in the alpha - the "door" on the front of the EU Titan, I believe, used to be open. There's even a model, although unskinned.

And in addition to that, missile silos seem arbitrarily placed. The ones in the release version of the game appear to be transportable, like modern artillery pieces, yet they're neutral and scattered across the map. Who put them there?

What do I propose? First, get rid of the whole missile concept for Titan mode, except for a few specific maps. Also, only give a titan to one team. Second, make the EMP strike harder to obtain - I don't know how. An EMP strike would bring down the shields, overloading the power grid, until an engineer on-board the Titan can put them back online. This short stretch of time could be enough for the opposing team to board. In addition to that, a new weapon, EMP bombs and EMP missiles. These can, if used in tandem, bring down the shields.

The interior of the Titan should be redone. I find it interesting how destroying all four consoles can open up the door to the reactor, but putting a few explosives on the door does nothing. Also, the whole four consoles thing seems like a ******* design flaw. In addition to that, the Titan should have more room to move around in.

The Titans seem to have a "control room" on the bottom. This should be accessable and exploitable, with a control allowing for the magical indestructable reactor doors to be unlocked. There should also be a shield generator room.

The maps seem unrealistic in how they're layed out. For example, Belgrade should've had the PAC base to the East of the map, with the EU having control of the whole city. With Verdun, the PAC should've had a makeshift air base on the glacier, because there seems to be a flat area, and in the intro video, the EU is assaulting from that direction.

Most of all, it would have been very cool, if BF2142 had a singleplayer campaign mode. This is why I think it would be cool if, when BF:BC2 comes out, we make a mod not based entirely on 2142, but rather loosely based. Same ice age, and so on, but with enough creative liberty taken, to where EA can't throw a hissy fit. I have a number of ideas, for how to modify the storyline, the setting, and so on. For one thing, I'm thinking of excluding Titans and launch pods, from this hypothetical mod.

Of course, this is all assuming that BF:BC2 has an SDK of some sort.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Re: How It Could Have Been Better

I cannot add much to that apart from

I agree with you, 2142 had a lot of promise and fell that flat it not only broke its nose, but also knocked its teeth out

When I saw the game, I understood it possibly could have been using the BF2 engine during Alpha concept vids, but thought that they would have done a new engine, and I also thought the titans would have been better and more well designed, for hecks sake I am having discussions with a few friends of mine over what best to do with the whole titan concept, both interior and exterior.
    I do want to see a newer BF modded to be a "Based on 2142" but I do not know if the people will be there to play it, as that 2142 seems, in my opinion, to have died a large death, as that when I started it use to be the majority of servers were 24/7, now, you are lucky to find a server for the Euros active at 2 in the morning

Comment

A massive bunch of tweaks have been made between the alpha and the release for, from a programming and game design standpoint, making life easier for the player.

Most HUD changes in general are made to be more conspicuous and quicker to read. The health bar is suitable to a CO who will have the time to really take a good look at it, but the groundpounder can't afford to spend such a time - therefore the use of a pictogram, with the different recognizable zones of a Titan being good enough checkpoints to compare one status versus another.

A good piece of realism is foregone as well because of gameplay and balance requirements. Let's put it this way: if Half-Life 2 wanted to be truly realistic, they would've allowed Gordon Freeman to just climb out of the box canyons the levels are made of and run off wherever. But they won't allow him to do that - it serves no purpose to the game and what's beyond Gordon's level is of no interest to the player.

Similarly, BF2142 has to make concessions to even out the gameplay and make things as fair as possible, even if it means introducing some elements that, in real life, wouldn't have happened. Yes, in real life you could place charges on a reactor bay door, bust in and blow the reactor from the inside. That's real. But if you do that in a game, that means a Titan is essentially dead as soon as its shields drop. Place a piece of RDX or two on the door, get in and finish the core. That sort of Titan assault is neither tactical or fun for either party.

Parenthesis about single player campaign: there was one on Star Wars Battlefront. It was the single worst gaming experience I've ever had. The AI was laughably bad, enemy soldiers could see you and shoot you through a dozen layers of foliage, and you often ended up getting at least ten times more kills than the second place player... exactly like BF2142.

Lastly, we couldn't afford to complexify Titan mode in any sort of way, despite how strong the temptation is. To put it simply, the only thing the average BF2142 player has going for himself is the one braincell that keeps him from taking a **** right on the floor. A great many people cannot even comprehend the concept of Titan mode and have no clue what to do when they play those maps. I've had people outright refuse to even touch Titan mode on the basis that "it was too complicated" even though it's just a tweaked Conquest mode.

Comment

Originally posted by LBraden
        I do want to see a newer BF modded to be a "Based on 2142" but I do not know if the people will be there to play it, as that 2142 seems, in my opinion, to have died a large death, as that when I started it use to be the majority of servers were 24/7, now, you are lucky to find a server for the Euros active at 2 in the morning
        Also, I'm wondering two things:

Why is the color for the EU orange?
        Why did the colors switch from the pre-release versions? EU used to be green, PAC used to be orange.

And also, I forgot to mention something...

The shields on the EU titan are blue, while the shields on the PAC titan are red. The EU armor is white, the PAC armor is black. It seems a bit cliche that the PAC is portrayed as the "evol invaders."

Comment

Working...
        X