No announcement yet.

Seriously, this is an easy one, HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, this is an easy one, HELP!!!

OK, this is an easy one for the seasoned dude. Here goes...

Running Vista x64, installed BF2 and didn't work (crashed to desktop after splash screen). It ran on prior Vista x64 installs, but not this one. After a month of missing the game, I searched and found an interesting solution: refresh rate.

I downloaded a little program called Reforce and forced a refresh rate of 70, also went into the Battlefield 2 folder (in My Documents) and altered the video.con file from 60 to 70. Viola! The program works!

It works but the game does not look so hot. See...

There are those little doo-dads that scatter around and do not give a good overall picture of the place. It seems to only do that to the terrain. Naturally, I could lower the settings and they'll go away (and they do), but I'd like BF2 and don't want to play it half-assed.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have not even messed with Catalyst, is there anything their I can do?

HELP!

Oh, my system specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
    Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply.
    Motherboard: MSI P45 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6mb L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor.
    RAM: G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Graphics Card: Sapphire 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512mb 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP CrossFire Supported Video Card.

Re: Seriously, this is an easy one, HELP!!!

Are you running the latest ATI drivers/attempted to revert back to older driver versions. Could also be overheating, but looks more like a driver issues to me.

Comment

ATI drivers are all up to date. I really don't think it is the ATI card or drivers, see, the last time my computer was running my 4870 was shot. Since then, I've RMA'd it and reinstalled Vista; everything is a dream now, I even run Crysis on high. But for some reason BF2 is trouble.

Comment

check your temps for your video card, if they are ok play with the "terrain" settings in video options.....

Comment

That is definitely either your video drivers are not agreeing with BF2, try a different version.

OR

Your card is overheating/has overheated in the past and has a corrupt memory module.

You said you have RMA'd the card before, did your old card overheat? Perhaps you need more/better fans in your case. Also take note that RMA'd cards are not new. They are all refurbished/recertified cards. It is possible you got a bad/damaged card as the replacement.

Comment

If that was the case - and the card was burned out - why could I run Crysis on high? BF2 does not demand too much from any system. I have to believe that it is some settings with CCC that can be tweaked.

Comment

Could be the way textures are handled in BF2 that your card/drivers don't like.

Comment

Working...
              X