Technical Knockout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Knockout

This isn't a thread asking for support but to let the folks know of whats just happened to me and how i fixed it:

Wednesday: My hard drive began to make strange noises, on screen the user environment began to freeze and restart, granted this happened maybe 2 to 4 times a day.

Friday: Noises from my hard drive became worse and sounded like it was on its last legs. I turned my PC off to give it a rest, as i returned, the Machine wouldn't even turn on, no power going through it at all.

Saturday: Myself and a technician ran multiple checks and had a few idea's of what the problems were, but we couldn't do anything until the nextday to get parts.

Sunday: The first item on the list, a new PSU, the PSU was fitted, we now had power, but no Bootup, no BIOS, another trip out, a new motherboard, installed it, and yes the machine was back to its previous state!

Conclusion to the story: The PSU was deing, which caused it to lack power to the Hard drive which made it sound wrecked, as the PSU finally died it surged through the motherboard and fried it. In the end the problem i thought it was, wasn't a problem at all, it worked fine.

Really not sure what the point was there, it was a nice story

The stupid PSU going caused me damage worth £120+ I int a appy person.

Re: Technical Knockout

Just out of curiosity, what make/model was the PSU?

Comment

How do you know the PSU surged the motherboard...?

Comment

Originally posted by Skaggy
        Just out of curiosity, what make/model was the PSU?
        It was an "EZcool Super Silent 650w"

Originally posted by Alex98uk
        How do you know the PSU surged the motherboard...?
        Can't say i do to be honest, it was just my conclusion, we never found the sole cause of the problem, its just my assumption as ive seen it happen a few times.

It probably wasn't, both probably died at the same time from their own issues, i just thought it was a little coincidental that both went simultaneously like that, but i have no 100% proof it was the cause, its simply my over all speculation of the problem.

Comment

Could well have been the PSU killing things. EZcool is not a good brand.

I hope you bought a good PSU to replace it, not another budget one.

Comment

Always buy a good PSU. This happens all the time in the PC hardware industry I have even heard technicians say that when you buy a Good PSU you are only paying for the name. Completely false, you are paying for the security of a good brand with a good PSU that will last many years.

Luckily for you the motherboard was the only thing that was taken out when the PSU fried. I learned the PSU game a few years back with an Athlon XP system. Took out the motherboard, CPU, and Harddrives. Pretty expensive fixer-upper. In the end I just built a new Athlon 64 system as an upgrade of sorts. :thumbsup:

Comment

Yup, i feared the worst, i'm glad my other hardware is working fine to say the least.

I now have:

a Jeantech Storm 700W PSU

And an ASUS P5KPL SE Motherboard

Which im happy about, just a beetch they cost me so much!

Comment

Working...
              X