Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffled by connection issues.

"Connection to server has been lost"

Is there any way to find out what this actually means, or more importantly what is causing it?

We have been fighting this error for MONTHS. Recently our connections have been better. Seriously nothing has changed in our router config, or PC's that would indicate a source of this problem.

My son runs XP PRO x86, and I run Vista Ultimate x64. As far as connections are concerned, when one works, they both work excellent. I know many will point fingers at Vista, but I haven't had any more problems with this OS than I did with XP.

I dual boot on my machine for a few apps that don't have x64 support. I keep BF2 installed on both OS's. When I have connection problems in Vista they exist in XP too. Just to be clear. I am not having an OS problem.

I have read through hundreds of FAQ's, KB's, common problems threads, etc, etc, etc.

I have done everything under the sun short of giving birth to PunkBuster. Uninstalling, Re-installing, manual installing, chanting, screaming, praying, and quitting.

Last night my son and I played for over 5 hours straight on the same ranked server. We are both behind a DIR-655. Not one issue with our pings, not one message that indicated that the connection we had was anything but flawless. It was a dream come true. SO much fun.

Now, today, on the same server playing by myself, I can get in and play for a few minutes and "connection to server has been lost"

No further explanation? That really is dumb. At least when their is a disconnect due to PB, there will be an error message explaining WHY.

WTF is causing this? I check my account via pb_plist command and everything looks GREAT.

The only thing that seems odd is that when it happens, my ping skyrockets to over 1000. It is brief, and whenever this happens I notice a message that says something about "Message sent to PB master server" or something.

I can't ever read it fast enough because I usually get kicked back to the Multiplayer menu with the unexplained "connection to server has been lost" error message.

Is there not a log that can be viewed to determine what the F I am getting dropped for?

You would think that on a Saturday night (lots of users sucking bandwidth) with 2 computers playing from behind a router wouldn't have better chances staying connected

VS.

Sunday morning when everyone is usually still in bed and now I am playing by myself.

BTW, I have ZERO issues with any of the other multiplayer games I have. WTF is up with Battlefields? I am finding it really hard to drop this game, I like it. It's fun.

Any help is appreciated. Otherwise, thanks for reading my rant.

Oh, and this be my first thread/post at TGN. This site/forum is great! Glad to have found it.

Re: Baffled by connection issues.

You've probably heard it all before but I'll say it because I know it works for me:

1. Wireless internet and bf2 suck. Use a cable if you don't already.
    2. Close all applications before playing bf2 even if you don't see how they could possibly interfere. Just close them.
    3. And i assume you don't play on servers on a different continent from yours... just in case..

Sometimes you just gotta change your ISP! I hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Re: Baffled by connection issues.

Appreciate the response!

1. Both PC's mentioned earlier are desktops that are wired.
      2. Yeah, I try to run as lean as I can.
      3. I wish I could filter out those servers. I can usually tell which ones are not on my continent, but it would be nice to be able to filter.

I am actually hoping to move later this year. We are still at 3.3Mbps down 512Kbps up here. Small town, and I live on the outskirts. Funny thing is that it didn't use to be this bad. Must have more people on my channel now.

Suddenlink support doesn't listen anyways. All they know is how to reset a modem, oh and that my router will give me lag. I'm sure it does, somewhat, but c'mon it used to work just fine.

I guess that a new ISP is in order. Thanks for your help though!

Comment

Working...
      X