Rabbi Overcomes Fear Of Nazis, Courtesy Of Call Of Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbi Overcomes Fear Of Nazis, Courtesy Of Call Of Duty

Somewhat understandably, given the fact he's Jewish, Rabbi Micah Kelber has always had a few issues with Nazis. Until, that is, he played Call of Duty: World at War.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in two words: virtual victory. Virtual victory at all costs — despite all terror: The Churchillian imperative is in full force throughout “Call of Duty: World at War,” but playing, in addition to being just plain fun, is also an incredibly visceral experience, especially for Jewish...

The surprising benefit of the game was that throughout my entire life, since sneaking into the synagogue library with David Yagobian and paging through a book of Nazi medical experiments, I have had nightmares about Nazis. Jewish summer camp didn't help. In games like "Call of Duty," you get unlimited lives; you keep playing the game until you are victorious. It's a safe place. When your character dies, you may have to go back to a checkpoint, but this is simply inconvenient, never tragic or final. You will always have another chance to kill your demons.

One morning, I woke up extremely aware that I had just had a Nazi dream. No surprise, given that I wrote this review and played the game late into the night. But I was shocked that it did not scare me as it would have done in the past: The back of my neck was dry. The game had subconsciously flipped a switch. Although clearly there are still very real threats to Jews around the world, the feeling that Nazis were a threat to my existence was created by teachers and rabbis, rightly making sure that I knew my history. In truth, that specific anxiety was not real, but virtual. And I could vanquish it virtually, as well.

Re: Rabbi Overcomes Fear Of Nazis, Courtesy Of Call Of Duty

Haha wow. That's pretty cool. Although some would say he's being desensitized...

Comment

I thought maybe this was some strange joke. Like "A rabbi, a nazi, and a zombie walk into a room...."

I suppose its good to have an outlet for your fears. Maybe he will be able to move on in life now and do good things.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

he needs to get Nazi Zombies. Then he'll fear nazi's!

Comment

Hmm, so if you fear something in real life, play in it a game then you'll do fine?

Comment

i need a game where I kill Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by [BFE]IC|*=DaN=* View Post
              Hmm, so if you fear something in real life, play in it a game then you'll do fine?
              I dont think it was the same though. His fear of Nazis grew because of what he studied. He never experienced any of the real life things, as far as I know.

The game is a way to overcome the psycological fear. If you're afraid of heights, you sky dive. You work through the fear and when you live through it your mind relises it can take care of itself. If you're afraid of Nazis, kill a bunch in a game.

Im no shrink though, I could be entirely wrong

I did sleep at a holidy inn once.

Crunch

Comment

When I was afraid of needles, I donated plasma. When I was afraid of heights, I joined the Army as a paratrooper.
                Playing UT hasn't made me think I can kill aliens at will. Playing F.E.A.R. didn't make me think I could survive a crazy psychic ghost blowing me up. Playing COD:WaW didn't make me think I could take an army of Japanese soldiers in WW2 by myself.
                I'm just saying, I'm not sure I see the correlation...

Comment

That was a cool story. This type of thing is not unheard of, although this is a slightly more odd than what I had read a few years ago. But yep, they started realizing that video games allow people who are afraid of something to experience it without any due harm. People who were afraid of spiders and heights were tested by some scientists and they found it true that these people could get over the fear by playing these simulations.

ROFL at Unnamed, that alien part and the F.E.A.R. part lol!

Comment

After playing Left-4-Dead and CODWW zombie mode, I'd say we're all much better prepared for the coming zombie apocalypse.

Comment

By playing TF2, I have finally overcome my fear of black people with eye patches

Comment

I need TF2

Comment

Assassins Creed helped me some with heights Mostly heights in the middle east though.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                            By playing TF2, I have finally overcome my fear of black people with eye patches
                            By playing TF2, I have renewed my fear of German Doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
                              After playing Left-4-Dead and CODWW zombie mode, I'd say we're all much better prepared for the coming zombie apocalypse.
                              lol, like Shaun Of The Dead,
                              i'll meet you in the pub and we can hold up there lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X