multithreading support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multithreading support?

is tf2 ever gonna get official multithreading support? there are some console commands that I've tried that apparently enable multi-threading and I got a 30FPS increase but unfortunately the game would crash and I couldn't get back into the game if I alt tabbed. it basically became very unstable.

Re: multithreading support?

To be honest, it's such an undemanding game, CPU-wise, it's not really worth it.

Also, the original problem with single threaded apps was that they had to run on a single core, along with other processes. Thus, time division multiplexing meant it didn't get as much CPU time as it should.

However, with multicore CPU's, Windows can now set the affinity for each process, effectively giving the application such as TF2 almost all of the CPU time.

Comment

no TF2 is definitely very CPU hungry. I get drops to 20FPS on full 30 slot servers on 2fort when running across the bridge while there's lots of people around. With the multithreading commands that 20FPS was 50FPS and much more playable. I also get huge fps drops on that orange_x3 map on a full 30 slot server.

I find it to be a very poorly optimized game, actually. When I played the L4D demo my fps wouldn't drop below 60 and IIRC L4D has official multithreading support

Comment

I question those results, it might be CPU heavy... for a 2005 game

If you're getting such slow downs, then you have other problems.

Comment

pretty sure it's just TF2 because all my other games are running perfectly. Plus my brother with 3GB of RAM, AMD dual-core 2.8ghz and an 8600GT gets way worse performance than I do yet has no problems with BF2 which is a much bigger game, and graphics that can be debated on which is better

Comment

Even other Source based games? Because CPU load on all source games is roughly the same, especially given there is no AI.

Comment

CSS, HL2M, insurgency mod and goldeneye mod all run perfectly. it's just TF2. it's not like it's constantly a low FPS but seeing my frame rate drop below 30 on these small maps with these graphics and the small player limits annoys me because I except it not to drop below 60. I don't even drop below 60 on CoD4 on a full 50slot server, nor do I drop below 80 or so FPS in BF2 on a full 64 slot server

Comment

Yea, i don't think that is a CPU problem, i think there is something else going on there, but i'm not sure what. Something makes me suspect a bug in the code is causing it to hang or lag, but i'm really not sure.

Comment

well if its not a CPU problem then why did my FPS go up by 30 when I put in the multithreading commands?

Comment

I have the same thing as Tomeis... the game just doesn't run as smooth anymore. But when I put in the multithreaded command, much better and smoother FPS. :/ I think it's partially due to all the new particle effects Valve has added, but I just feel like it should run so much better, considering I got much better FPS a couple of months ago

Valve made a statement that they were going to add some of the things from the L4D engine to TF2 to optimize it. They said that somewhere around the release of L4D though, so it sure takes some time.

Comment

My frames range from 42-130

Comment

They finally added it and apparently they are still working on improving it.

Comment

Yep... my frames are much better now

Not really an instant performance increase (!!!) but it overall runs smoother and less times where it drops to 40 or so

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                            Yep... my frames are much better now

Not really an instant performance increase (!!!) but it overall runs smoother and less times where it drops to 40 or so
                            Same here.

It's nice :wee:

Comment

I turned it on and noticed that every so often my game would jitter/freeze for a second. So I've turned it back of for now, without it on the game has been fine.

Then again, maybe it was something else doing it and i was judging the new setting without the knowledge that my computer may have decided to do something in the background.

Comment

Working...
                              X