• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to Recording/Playing Back Demos in COD:WW

Original Source = BASHandSLASH.com, authored by Jock_Yitch:

CoD:WW /demo primer
    Written by jockyitch
    Wednesday, 04 March 2009

This is a quickie primer for those who have never before recorded a "demo" in CoD:WW. For the CoD2 and CoD4 players I know this is old hat stuff...so move along, nothing new to see.

What is a demo?

A demo is Call of Duty video; however, instead of being recorded by some type of frame capture software like Fraps, the game itself saves the gamestate to a file and then plays it back to you through the game itself. The result is a massive saving in file size.

A 2 Mb demo file could translate into Gigabytes if it was saved as a .avi for example.

Why record a demo?

Demos come in handy if you are playing competitively. Many tournaments force players to hand in demos for scrutiny. For example, cheats like wall-hacks can sometimes be detected using demos.

Why watch a demo?

Watching yourself play - especially if you can *SLOW* the action down is a great way to spot mistakes in your game. Watching demos by better players is a great way to *LEARN* the game.

Recording a demo

Bring up the console (~) in game.

Type /record followed by the name of the filename you want to record the demo to:

e.g.

/record xyz1

For XP users your demo will be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<computername>\Local Settings\Application Data
    \Activision\CoDWaW\players\demos\xyz1.dm_6

Type /stoprecord if you want to stop the demo.

You can then /record another demo - or overwrite the file you just stopped.

Playing back a demo

Typing /demo will give you a list of demos you have just recorded.

/demo xyz1 will play back the xyz1 demo.

Making movies

Making frag movies is a time-honored tradition in FPS gaming and you can now expect many of them to come out with the arrival of /record.

Now, you might say, hey..wait up, I've recorded vids for the past 3 months without /record, so why should I use it?

Well /record makes nearly no difference to your gameplay (FPS stays rock solid on most machines). Try that when running screen capture software. Most will be lucky to get 30 fps when doing so - trying making a frag vid with 30 fps!

Once you have done your pwning, you can - at your leisure - play back the demo file and run a screen capture program. For us gamers, the best such program currently on the market is Fraps (for the money). Making a vid with fraps is as easy as hitting a Function key while your demo is playing.

It has a tendency to go out of sync with the sound sometimes (I've found that especially with my quad core), but it's a dynamite program.

Binds

Back in CoD4, I used to use Cybopat's CoD4 Player ( http://www.cybopat.net/vb_cod4player.php ) - a great little program that allowed you to watch demos and modify the speed of playback - which can really be valuable if you want to study your play. In CoD:WW you do not need third party programs (you really didn't need them in CoD4 either - in fact, some nefarious ones even came with keyloggers!). Just bind a few commands together and demo playback is sooooo much cooler.

I) Many of these binds require that you get into "developer mode".

a) Open up CoD:WW and launch /devmap. You can do the latter as follows:

/devmap mp_castle

the map name is unimportant, it just gets you into /devmap mode.

b) Escape and "End Game". This now quits the game you just launched.

c) Now play the demo you want to watch; for example: /demo xyz1

II) You can either type these into the console or bind them into your player configuration file (config_mp.cfg).

NOTE: though you can speed up or slow down the action, you cannot reverse it. There is no way to reverse the demo. So you will have to be somewhat careful when you decide to start recording your vid.

Simple binds can clean up your screen

bind F5 "toggle cg_chattime 0 12000" <----- removes chat
    bind F6 "toggle hud_enable 0 1" <----- removes hud display

These keypad binds are perfect for directing the speed of the action:

bind KP_HOME "toggle cg_thirdpersonangle 350 340 330 320 310 300 290
    280 270 260 250 240 230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140 130 120
    110 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0"

* This will cycle CCW around the player in third person mode

bind KP_UPARROW "timescale 5.0"

* This is fast forward mode (five times speed)

bind KP_LEFTARROW "timescale 0.5"

* Slow (Half speed)

bind KP_5 "timescale 1"

* Normal speed

bind KP_RIGHTARROW "timescale 2.0"

* Fast mode (double speed)

bind KP_END "toggle cg_thirdpersonangle 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
    110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180 190 200 210 220 230 240 250 260 270 280
    290 300 310 320 330 340 350"

* CW movement around avatar in thirdperson view

bind KP_DOWNARROW "timescale 0.3"

* Super Slow (Slowmo)

bind KP_PGDN "toggle cg_thirdperson"

* thirdperson toggle

bind KP_INS "toggle cl_freezedemo"

* This is the "0" key and will pause if you select it.

additionally, you can add:

bind KP_MINUS "toggle cg_thirdpersonrange 1024 960 840 720 600 480 240 120"

bind KP_PLUS "toggle cg_thirdpersonrange 120 240 480 600 720 840 960 1024"

these can create a distance effect in thirdperson view.

EDIT: follow-up:

CoD:WW Cybopat's CodWAWplayer
    Written by jockyitch
    Friday, 06 March 2009

We mentioned "demo" players in yesterday's primer on recording a demo in CoD:WW. We told you that you did not need one and provided you with binds that would allow you to fine-tune the replay action so that you can make movies.

Hoowever, we did mention that if you were not interested in using those binds there was an even easier way to run demo files: third party demo software.

In my opinion, the best of these has been the CoDplayer series by the Czech site Cybopat.net.

Now, coincidental with the release of my primer, Cybopat has put out CodWAWplayer (Click Here to Download).

For the new players out there who are not quite sure how to structure the binds I was talking about yesterday, this program is simply the easiest way to record and or play demo files.

The program essentially runs devmap and then loads the demo of your choice, binding the keypad keys with the types of binds I had listed yesterday, allowing you to control playback through the keypad on your keyboard.

It's a nice program and very similar to CoD4player.

Here are Cybopat's program notes:

Name: codwawplayer
    Build: 0.51
    Author: CyboPat

Info: Utility to play demo files for game "Call of Duty: World at War". Click on "keyboard" in main screen to detailed info about key commands. Tested on Windows XP only. If you find bug please send me info from Error Window to email.

Installation: Just unzip file "codwawplayer.exe", but rather don't put it into the CODWAW folder. Then simply run it.

Web: http://www.cybopat.net (section Projects)
    Email: cybopat@seznam.czThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Release history:

- 0.51 * first release

(Thanks to Ariel for the heads up on the release)

Re: Guide to Recording/Playing Back Demos in COD:WW

thanks, This is just what I was looking for.

Comment

Follow-up...Cybopat has also made a demo player for CODWW now. Again, from BASHandSLASH.com, and Jock_Yitch:

CoD:WW Cybopat's CodWAWplayer
      Written by jockyitch
      Friday, 06 March 2009

We mentioned "demo" players in yesterday's primer on recording a demo in CoD:WW. We told you that you did not need one and provided you with binds that would allow you to fine-tune the replay action so that you can make movies.

Hoowever, we did mention that if you were not interested in using those binds there was an even easier way to run demo files: third party demo software.

In my opinion, the best of these has been the CoDplayer series by the Czech site Cybopat.net.

Now, coincidental with the release of my primer, Cybopat has put out CodWAWplayer (Click Here to Download).

For the new players out there who are not quite sure how to structure the binds I was talking about yesterday, this program is simply the easiest way to record and or play demo files.

The program essentially runs devmap and then loads the demo of your choice, binding the keypad keys with the types of binds I had listed yesterday, allowing you to control playback through the keypad on your keyboard.

It's a nice program and very similar to CoD4player.

Here are Cybopat's program notes:

Name: codwawplayer
      Build: 0.51
      Author: CyboPat

Info: Utility to play demo files for game "Call of Duty: World at War". Click on "keyboard" in main screen to detailed info about key commands. Tested on Windows XP only. If you find bug please send me info from Error Window to email.

Installation: Just unzip file "codwawplayer.exe", but rather don't put it into the CODWAW folder. Then simply run it.

Web: http://www.cybopat.net (section Projects)
      Email: cybopat@seznam.czThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Release history:

- 0.51 * first release

(Thanks to Ariel for the heads up on the release)

Comment

Hello and thank you for these tips on demo viewing. I have a quick question....while viewing a recorded demo, is it possible to place the camera on another player or enemy and view the match from their perspective?

Comment

No, it is not. I think you can do that in battlefield as it records EVERYTHING at once. In CoD it only records what you are doing or see.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
            No, it is not. I think you can do that in battlefield as it records EVERYTHING at once. In CoD it only records what you are doing or see.

Crunch
            Thanks for the swift reply. That is unfortunate but not surprising. Oh well

Oh yeah I almost forgot....can you demo record Nazi Zombie game sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by isamu
              Thanks for the swift reply. That is unfortunate but not surprising. Oh well

Oh yeah I almost forgot....can you demo record Nazi Zombie game sessions?
              Yes you can. Same way as any other part of the game.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Working...
              X