memory speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory speed

i have an asus m3a78-em mother board and wanna overclock the ram to 1066. but my bios will only allow 400mhz option. can anyone tell me why this is? the board says it handles 1066....so why cany i set it to that speed??

Re: memory speed

Use the FSB:RAM ratio to set it.

Comment

Originally posted by [3MIB]1FD|WO1.HIVictim View Post
      Use the FSB:RAM ratio to set it.
      where is that located in bios? is it in the jumper free settings? cause it only goes to 400mhz..

Comment

That depends entirely upon what motherboard model you have. I cannot simply tell you where it is. You need to find it. A good place to start would be FSB/Memory Settings.

Comment

this mite be total trash talk but isnt ur max ram speed depended on the CPU also? (FSB is usually related to the CPU)

Comment

he's not trying to oc the cpu, only the ram. the ram will have its own multiplier. you have to adjust your memory frequency. to get the frequency of the ram, you basically look at the memory frequency and multiply that by you cpu qpi. at least thats the way for x58. not too sure about others lol.

Comment

thanks all, but i have my cpu oc'ed at 3.3ghz anyway. but my amd 6000+ isnt a am2+ chip. so that rules out any chance of me clocking the memory to 533 ( 1066 )

Comment

Originally posted by tmac26 View Post
                thanks all, but i have my cpu oc'ed at 3.3ghz anyway. but my amd 6000+ isnt a am2+ chip. so that rules out any chance of me clocking the memory to 533 ( 1066 )
                That is not true, look in your bios for a setting something like FSB:RAM... set that to auto and it should put it within 10-20 mhz of 1066.

Comment

HIVictim i think your talking more about Intel setup, AMD is abit different in BIOS compared to Intel.

From the picture above i think you have to change the NB Frequency Multiplier.

Comment

Originally posted by unreal_calibur View Post
                    he's not trying to oc the cpu, only the ram. the ram will have its own multiplier. you have to adjust your memory frequency. to get the frequency of the ram, you basically look at the memory frequency and multiply that by you cpu qpi. at least thats the way for x58. not too sure about others lol.
                    pointless it will still bottleneck (at cpu side)

The Front Side Bus (FSB) connects the CPU to both the memory bus (where the RAM is housed) and the rest of the chipset (also known as the system data bus). The MHz timing of the FSB is what the other system timings are based upon, often using dividers or multipliers.

what chip you got?

pcie should be at 115 tbh

and is your ram paired, buffered unbuffered. dual channel

have you got an option for dram async if so select that
                    or buy some 533 mhz ram and dont clock

use cpu-z or whatever to check your cpu fsb first. if that equals 800/400mhz then thats your botlleneck even if the board is capable.

Comment

Originally posted by Slashiem View Post
                      HIVictim i think your talking more about Intel setup, AMD is abit different in BIOS compared to Intel.

From the picture above i think you have to change the NB Frequency Multiplier.
                      Why don't you try where it says "Memory Configuration"?

Comment

Why don't you try where it says "Memory Configuration"?
                        More than likely it only contains Timings for the RAM and the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Slashiem View Post
                          More than likely it only contains Timings for the RAM and the speed.
                          Huh? Did you even read the first post, thats exactly what he was looking for lol!

Comment

Huh? Did you even read the first post, thats exactly what he was looking for lol!
                            haa, i didn't mean speed, i meant the timings only, more than likely.
                            Though im only making slightly educated guesses, as im fairly familiar with Asus BIOS.

From the first post he is looking for the speed, which i would not think in the RAM Config sub menu.
                            But im only suggesting look here and it could be there, maybe not but it could, who knows, just have a look, because im not totally sure.

kthnxbye :thumbsup::yay:

Comment

ok, lets deal with this for Asus.

Your FSB Frequency needs to be increased to clock higher

do increments of 5mhz till you have problems (maybe backoff say 5-10 mhz below this for stability).

Remember your multiplyer can be clocked lower giving more room for higher FSB

Advanced = Tight mem timings [not Auto] & strap [too complicated for chit chat]

I test with Aqua mark still, so fast.

CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system : Processor name and number, codename, process, package, cache levels. Mainboard and chipset. Memory type, size, timings, and module specifications (SPD). Real time measurement of each core's internal frequency, memory frequency. The CPU-Z‘s detection engine is now available for customized use through the CPUID System Information Development Kit, a professional SDK built for the Microsoft Windows & Android.

P.S. better mention this, took me 2 days going from AMD to Intel for this reason: select & type the numers to change FSB values : )

Comment

Working...
                              X