Will Battlefield survive much longer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Battlefield survive much longer?

DICE looks like have abandoned us and decided to start releasing mediocre console games instead, so don't expect Battlefield 3.

And in the meantime there are some quite a few serious contenders coming out that could potentially dethrone Battlefield...

Operation Flash Point: Dragon Rising
    ARMA II
    America's Army 3

Not to mention, Call of Duty 6.
    So many people have switched to CoD4 from BF2, and with CoD6, I could see even more switching over.

Re: Will Battlefield survive much longer?

AA3 will not dethrone BF. All 3 of your listed games aren't the same as BF arcadey gameplay. CoD6 is the only one that could potentially dethrone BF, but only in the IO section.

Comment

I switched from BF2 to CoD4 when it released, but about a month later, I went back to BF2 with only short sessions of CoD4 in between when I ragequitted BF2 or something. I doubt CoD6 will drag me far away from BF2 either.

You've also failed to note that DICE is releasing Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for PC. BF:BC2 looks like it will be an actual BF2 successor while BF1943 looks like something to fill the gap for the time being.

Comment

I don't think DICE have left us, 1.5 is meant to be coming out, plus they keep re-iterating that "PC gamers haven't been forgotten" giving me the impression that they have something in the pipeline yet to be announced.

Anyway, i can forgive them for catering primarily for consoles. PC games just don't offer the same profit as they once did. This is down to decreased demand, piracy, technological problems and a whole range of other things.

Your investment is a lot safer in consoles at the moment (given the current economy).

Comment

Yea, I was looking at some of the player counts on game monitor last night, this was a sunday evening so this is obviously not a peak times but still BF2 had a good 20,000 players online, CoD4 had around 35,000, UT3 about 600 CS:S something like 50,000. So to conclude my point, its going to be around for a long time, PR mod nearly had as many players as people playing SF which was quite interesting

Comment

I just hope they give us something great with the patch.
            The new map will keep me playing a bit longer, but my playing time dropped like 75%.
            BF2 is the main game I play and will be until I get something like BF3.

FipZ

Comment

If EA/DICE don't announce a "Battlefield 3", or something on top of what they already have, Battlefield won't remain a prominent PC gaming series. It will die off.

Flashpoint 2's "less-than-hardcore" mode that was designed to appeal to BF2 players will take some players, COD6 will take some, AA3 will take some, ArmA2 will take some, etc.

Bad Company 2 won't do anywhere near as well as any of those games will on PC if it's anything like Bad Company 1.

Comment

AA3 FTW if it comes out this year!

Comment

Working...
                X