man i hate punkbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: man i hate punkbuster

I have no clue personally. I'd assume PB is coded in C and perhaps a bit of Assembly in order to manage hardware bans but it can really be anything.

As far as the Windows kernel goes, I'm being told "it's different!" in places and "it's the same!" in others. One way or another, we can be fairly certain that some changes to the kernel have been made, at the very least optimization since it supposedly takes up less space, but then I wouldn't know the extent of the changes exactly and if features have changed significantly or not.

What goes on inside the kernel is not really of our concern; what matters is the data that goes in and what comes out afterwards. If the output of something in the kernel is different from Vista to 7, then you got to take that into account when programming your thing. Logically, there should be some backwards-compatible stuff in some shape or form, but you nevertheless want to acknowledge the new Windows 7 procedures and, in the case of PB, cover them so you can raise the flags at the appropriate places and time - otherwise anything that's not Vista compatible won't get examined - or worse, will crash PB as it attempts to look at a piece of data that's not in a format it can recognize.

Comment

i think it does matter as the kernel will be checked if it is a know kernel and then which one. so if there are changes maybe pb wont recognize the kernel( sha hashes?

Comment

It's very obvious that when he posted he didn't actually think someone would take the time to explain it. Quite frankly, it looks more like a Troll. Really though, you can't expect something to work on a NEW operating system, you can say "Oh it's basically Vista" but you'd be wrong. That one line just shows your ignorance in this matter.

Really though, just go get Vista/XP or just stop and wait for this amazing software straight from Jesus' calm and loving hands called "Windows 7".

Edit : While I understand you're upset about this, you really shouldn't take it out on Shurikane. Especially when he's willing to make the Great Wall for you.

Comment

Nah I don't think he's a troll, just passionate about hating Punkbuster.

Hmm, if 7 was Vista you'd think PB would work on it. But PB works on Vista but not 7, so 7 can't be the same as Vista. :shock:

Comment

Working...
          X