Low FPS, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low FPS, why?

Ok, so I had an nVidia 7900GS. Upgraded to a 9800GTX+, now BF runs like dog squeeze. With FRAPS running, in-game, it stays pegged at 100FPS. But when I go to watch the video I recorded, it shows 40-50FPS. All my settings are on high, AA at 4x (same settings that I used with NO PROBLEMS with the 7900GS) What gives?? Tough to see in this video, but it is very choppy and glitchy.

Also been playing Left 4 Dead, and Age of Conan on high settings with no problems.

CPU: Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo 2.7ghz
    RAM: 4GB G.Skill
    GPU: nVidia 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    Drivers: Current nVidia 181.22 drivers

Link to Video : [media]http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c326/BigFellor/?action=view&current=2142_low_fps.flv[/media]

Re: Low FPS, why?

I believe FRAPS records at a limited frame rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
      I believe FRAPS records at a limited frame rate.
      :nod: There should be an option to adjust the fps cap.

Comment

Ok, FRAPS caps it, got it. Now, to the question, WHY am I having this stuttering and choppiness suddenly?

When I got the new card, I DID try to manually set the resolution in-game to 1280x1024 through the command line on the shortcut. That seems to have been the beginning of the problem, so I took it out of the command line. Could that have something to do with it (cant check the sticky since apparently this place was hacked and no one bothered to back it up ....)?

Comment

nope

Comment

Dont know how to do that. Did a fresh install of XP (it was due, been about 6 months), re-installed everything, and still having the same problem.

Comment

First do what Dtneter says, located C:\Documents and Settings\your name\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache backup and delete the cache

Otherwise it could be losts of things :/, I'd turn all antivirus/firwall off second.

What would tell you is a fresh install of XP, correct drivers/updates (no antivirus or anything like that though!) etc. Install the game, problem fixed? If so, install your programs one by one to find the culprit, harsh I know :dead:

Comment

Tried a fresh install of XP, new drivers, old drivers, bypassing the router and plugging right into the modem, everything I can think of. STILL have this stuttering problem, but only on multiplayer. Internet connection is fine, had a ping of 17 on a server yesterday and still had this terrible stuttering. Any ideas on what else to check?

Comment

check to see if u got a virus scanner running. check what processes are running.

Comment

I find that fraps can be quite demanding on CPU usage, this seemed the case with me a few years back, maybe this is what is causing the 'stuttering and choppiness'.

Comment

Originally posted by Repulse View Post
                      I find that fraps can be quite demanding on CPU usage, this seemed the case with me a few years back, maybe this is what is causing the 'stuttering and choppiness'.

Not running FRAPS constantly. Only did it once to make the video.

Originally posted by Minmaster View Post
                      check to see if u got a virus scanner running. check what processes are running.
                      I run AVG Free virus scanner. It has something called "Resident Shield" that scans files as they are accessed. I have made an exception in that for BF, so it should not be scanning the BF directory at all. Also have tried running with the virus scan completely shut down, no change.

Comment

Have you really tested this problem with fresh install + OS updates, install game, there is still a problem?

If so, sound like fraps only coping to record that amount of frames whilst running the game :/

Comment

Originally posted by old sch00l View Post
                          Have you really tested this problem with fresh install + OS updates, install game, there is still a problem?

If so, sound like fraps only coping to record that amount of frames whilst running the game :/
                          Originally posted by BigFellor View Post
                          Tried a fresh install of XP, new drivers, old drivers, .... STILL have this stuttering problem, but only on multiplayer.
                          Forget FRAPS. The ONLY time I used it was to make that vid so people could see what I was talking about. Nothing unnecessary is running in the background.

Comment

Your internet connection is probably the answer then. If you get a lot of choke, your FPS can drop rather drastically. Make sure your ethernet card driver is up to date, and restart both your modem and router, if you have one.

Comment

Yup, next step is your ISP, there are some real horror stories in the UK (peak hours at 100's ping!), check using:

Start > Run, type cmd, two commands:

ping *any address*
                              tracert *any address*

new technolagies can make for gamers to have awfull ping, so your ISP can be crucial; current issues include:

traffic shaping, packet sniffing

Comment

Working...
                              X