Modding Kit or Model veiwer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding Kit or Model veiwer

I dunno if this is the correct part, but I am looking for a program that allows me to either
    1) Extract models from BF2142 into 3ds Max Pro 9
    2) Allow me to view the model files

I dunno if they use the same compression as BF2 or not, as that I am just trying to get the L-5 model out so I can see about making a card model kit for it, as well as some of the smaller "static model" vehicles that we see laying around in urban areas (such as Berlin or Rhine)

Re: Modding Kit or Model veiwer

nope

Comment

why is using 3ds Max illegal? its the only 3d viewer/modder I have

Comment

nope

Comment

this is where we come into the grey area, as that I was going to take the models as they are, work out the sizes and make up some home made vehicles in MS Paint, BASED off them

EDIT: I have got BF2 Editor and ran the code that I needed to install it into the 2142 folder, but now, how I view the models, as I am not able to see any models or animation, nor could I find a proper tutorial online that covered "Viewing models" or that covered 2142

Comment

Copyright laws are very tricky when it comes to electronic media. I'm doing a paper on it for my Legal Environment of Business class. I'll let you know if I find anything relevant in my research.

Comment

I do believe that if work is based off something and is marked down as such, it is allowed, if that is not the case, then practically every ship design done, even the 3d models of the Enterprise E are to be removed and deleted from the net

Comment

IIRC, models of 3d objects are allowed because they are not a direct copy of the object. Just like how a building is not a direct copy of a blueprint, but rather a physical 3d embodiment of that blueprint.

Comment

What I am planning to do is make blueprints FROM the 3D

Comment

Ok, I found a website for a 3d ripper for directx games. They give this disclaimer:
                    "It should also be emphasized that re-use of copyright protected game assets in any releases made available to the general public, whether for sale, or for free, is theft, and as such this technique should only be used where the game, and all its assets have been placed in the public domain explicitly by the publisher or author, or where permission has been given to do so."

Comment

Other reason for a topic was that, if such problems come up, hopefully a DICE/EA employee can inform me that they do not like it, but this is more to get the general sizes instead of a direct copy

Comment

If you are using it for your own personal use, I'm sure you will be fine. But if you wish to release what you use to the public then you will need their permission to do so.

Comment

I will be using direct references to models for my own uses.
                          However, anything learned that I deem as helpful to my designs may end up on public designs, coincidently, what would happen if I was learning off such work in school

Comment

What I think you're describing is reskinning which is, to my knowledge, completely legal, as long as you don't change the model at all.

Comment

I was going to mod the EU Tank and EU car, but that was going to be stuff to increase lethality within a mod, but I am doing this all by myself atm, so do not expect miracles

Comment

Working...
                              X