huge fps loss 10min into the game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huge fps loss 10min into the game!

This is a problem that has been plaguing me for a couple weeks now, and I'm just about ready to call it quits but I figured I would ask for some help first. I was running the game fine a month ago, and I have spent countless hours trying to fix this but nothing seems to work.

Just a heads up, here are my computer specs.

Intel Duo Core E6750 2.67GHz
    GeForce 8800gt
    2 Gigs of Ram
    Vista 32 Bit

Also for the record, my video settings are mostly on medium, shadows on low, no dynamic lighting. So I should be getting a high fps right? Well I do when I first enter a server. My fps stays at a constant 99 until about 10min or so into a game, then it drops significantly down to about 19-25 and just sort of hangs around there making the game unplayable. Sometimes it will jump around from 70 to 19 very quickly. My internet connected is stable.

Here's what I immediately tried to do to fix this.

Lower Settings/turned off EAX
    Defragged
    Uninstall/Reinstall
    Scan for virus/trojan
    Rolled back drivers/updated drivers
    Update Punkbuster

None of these worked.

Now, a couple times when I tried to play even with the fps jumping around constantly, my computer would shut off. I thought that it might be overheating, but my GPU is running about 50C during the game. So it's not overheating.

I also thought that a virus might be causing performance loss, but I have ran Norton Pro, Spybot, Malwarebytes, Adaware, HiJack This, and Avast. So if there's any viruses/trojans/spyware on this computer, none of these are picking it up.

Also one last important thing I'm gonna add is that Battlefield 2 is the only game I have that is doing this. The rest: CoD4, Fallout 3, Bioshock, and GTA4 all run perfect. It just so happens that Battlefield 2 is my favorite, so I am really irked by this.

I have tried searching for someone else having this problem, but all I see that is even close is the so called 'studdering', but that's not what I have. About a month ago I was running this game at 99fps just fine, so something had to have happened.

I know I got the option of doing a reformat, but that would be a lot of time reinstalling all my stuff and backing up my work, plus after doing all this I'm not convinced it would even work after a reformat. If you have any ideas or have heard of something like this happening, I'd appreciate any advice.

Re: huge fps loss 10min into the game!

When you reinstalled did you manually wipe all bf2 folders? program files on and my docs one. Maybe it could be something to do with background tasks running and being used as the game goes on?

Comment

If you alt-tab out of BF2 and then go back in, does your FPS go back up?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Tasty View Post
        When you reinstalled did you manually wipe all bf2 folders? program files on and my docs one. Maybe it could be something to do with background tasks running and being used as the game goes on?
        Yeah, I made sure I deleted all the folders including the one in My Documents. I also got rid of the registry files, and used a registry cleaner after.

I thought it could be something in the background tasks too, but I don't see anything suspicious, plus I tried running BF2 after closing explorer.exe but it didn't help.

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
        If you alt-tab out of BF2 and then go back in, does your FPS go back up?
        Yeah, it goes back up briefly but that doesn't last very long.

Comment

I was having a problem where my FPS would be 50+ but then after a bit it would drop to 20 - 30. I would alt-tab out of BF2 and then go back in. My FPS would be back to 50+ but then after maybe another 15 minutes or so it would go back down. I was having this problem when I had my 8600GT. Once I got a 9600GT the problem was gone. It wasn't overheating because it was only happening in BF2 and BF2 would make the card reach about 75C, while games like Crysis and UT3 made it reach 80C. I constantly tried old drivers, beta drivers, leaked drivers, and of course, new drivers but it didn't help. Unfortunately, I never found a fix.

Comment

Working...
          X