something is goofed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something is goofed up

ok i have a wierd problem, take a look at my system below if you need to.

i have used FRAPS to record a number of video game movies that i made on cheap windows movie maker, published to my computer and then uploaded to the web.

on this computer whenever i was using fraps in the past and recording while i was playing i was able to record at a good solid 60fps that i had set in the options.

then a little while ago i got done making my last movie and putting it together and then uploading it and all that. I tried to record with my fraps program with it set to 60fps and my fps would drop down to 10-15fps and then try to go up to 60 and then drop back down. it would stay very low but kind of spike up and down. this is somewhat unsettling. i virtually cant record.

ok so i tried a bunch of stuff defragging, using ccleaner, reinstalling fraps, THEN when none of that worked since i didnt have much stuff on my computer i then decided to simply reinstall my whole operating system. i install all my drivers and stuff and reinstall the 1 game and the fraps program. the SAME THING happens. i get really low fps 10-15fps when having it set to 60fps and it spikes up and down a bit.

im wondering at this point if there is actually something physically wrong with one of my cpu cores like the one that is utilized more when recording and rendering video. (whichever core that is)

i did have realtemp installed and i would occasionally check the temperature of the cores and at one point one of the cores' tj max went from 25 to 29 and neither temperature reading for either core changes.

tjmax core1=25
    tjmax core2=29

and then the temps were similar except 1 was about 4c lower than the other.

but the temps are not high they are below 30c

i have the cpu overclocked on air cooling with an aftermarket hsf to about 3.4Ghz

one thing i did notice was that if i look down into the case through the top, part of the heatsink looks like it is warped in towards the motherboard...but then if those temperature reading were at all accurate im not sure how this could happen

so im wondering....

how possible is it that something happened to my cpu? what exactly would cause a problem like that to occur?

then...if its not the cpu then what else could it be?

Re: something is goofed up

i think there might actually not be a problem which is very good i dont know what the hell the reason is for this but i just went into the game and turned it on and it dropped down really low like it did before but i just sat there for about 20-30 seconds and then it went back up to its usual fps and stayed there. but then that was on an empty server maybe im making this more complicated than it is but then i dont know how all my hardware and software actually works so...

Comment

maybe it is fraps goofed up?

Comment

i think its got something to do with fraps not knowing where to put the video or something idk. caus i seriously dont want to actually pay for a recording program, i dont want xire and in the bad scenario i certainly WOULD NOT want to get another cpu. if i did though id probably get the Q9550 and a zallman cooler that isnt going to warp like this dumb heatsinkfan i got

Comment

I get 60-70 fps, i set it to capture 85, i also put in gamelock.fps 300 when i get in a server, and i send my clips to a virtually empty drive (D)...i also set it to record at half size with no sound. Thats while in xfire and in ventrilo

Comment

whenever i've tried to have it capture at a given framerate higher than 60fps it will drop down to a lower fps like 20fps.

why do you have it record at 85 and then lock your game at 300?

Comment

running the game normal, if i set it to 300 my fraps (while not recording) will read from 150-200 average, closer to 300 when im not doing anything and nothing is going on...but if i start to record it goes way down, fraps cant handle it =/

Comment

i think with most of the people the problem is how to configurate fraps.
                first of all, record half size sets down the framerate by a lot. as it needs more calculations to get the data right.
                and also, people try to settle down their settings on low while having a big resolution. this doesnt even affect the recording. you better get a small screens with high graphics: more fps ingame and it looks better. and as extra you get smaller vid files.

Comment

Are there any other big tips to getting more FPS in game with fraps...already having it at half size, normal res, no sound...

Comment

not having half size. half size makes you get far less fps ingame.

Comment

I totally misread that the first time you said it lol

Comment

I put it to full size and got like 20-30 FPS, tabbed out and made it half size and was getting 50-60

Comment

hmm then it probebly is a hdd that is very fragmented and takes loads of computation time to put data on.

Comment

Working...
                          X