Futility???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futility???

Yesterday was a nightmare with this game.

I've been working on ranking up in the game (I'm at rank 62) the long way which is by going on servers which score by the default point values. I thought that over this vacation I might be able to get through it all.

I am not very good at the game, but I enjoy the game. My K to D ratio is close to 1 to 2 which is a statement for my slow reflexes.

I've been playing on a variety of servers. S&D the 1 kill and you're out version. TDM; Hardcore, Tactical, Bolts Only. I have chosen these because their point values have not been elevated.

Yesterday was an excruciating exercise in pounding my head against the wall. I played for several hours with the same result which on S&D was a lot of times 0 to 1 kill per game series. Bolts only which was about 5 kills to 20 deaths. Hardcore TDM my typical game was 10 kills to 30 deaths.

There was one S&D game in particular which was a microcosm of the entire day. 7 straight rounds on the Seelow game I did my typical movement which in the past has been quite safe. This time however I got to a particular spot at a wall where at the instant I saw this one individual I died. It did not matter whether I got to my spot 1st; 7 straight times as soon as this same individual blinked into sight I was dead. The 8th time I went through a different opening and was able to get off a shot, which was shielded by my teammate which sadly I killed. I was so frustrated I just got out of the game completely.

What I am wondering is whether this type of situation which happened several times spread throughout the day is some kind of a glitch that someone is taking advantage of, or if people other than me are able to both aim and shoot within the tiniest fraction of a second? There always is a delay of movement for me even though my mouse sensitivity on my MX518 is set at max. I don't believe there is any lag due to ping on my end either (I'm usually 50 or under).

Yesterday there were too many times to count when I left clicked just a fraction of a second later than what I was shot.

If anyone has any advice for proper technique for quicker target acquisiton I would be very appreciative.

Re: Futility???

Hmmmm, even though you said your ping was good, what you describe sounds like lag. (or hacking, but the chances of that are actually pretty slim.) You may have another type of lag not caused by your network connection, but maybe something on your computer. Maybe a bottleneck with your video or CPU. Maybe you have an antivirus program running that is slowing you down overall in the game because its scanning your packets before you get to see whats going on. Have you played on servers where this is happening and killcam is on? If so, does it look like the guy had all day to shoot you?

Bolt and S&D servers are fun, dont get me wrong, I love playing them also. The problem with them is that overall they limit you on learning the full extent of the game. These servers have people in them that thats all they do. They master being slow and sneaky to plant that bomb or they are excellent shots with the bolt rifles.

The problem with S&D is you have a long wait to learn from your mistake. You die, then you wait until the next round. You dont get time to try something different immediatly or something new. Then you have the problem from going from defense to offense and vice versa. It changes your strategy and kit layout. You dont have time to try a correction.

The problem with Bolts only is that you have master sniper sharpshooters youre going up against. Eventuly you will get pretty good also. Until then, youre going to get PWNED bigtime. Also, you learn bolt rifles. Thats it. Nothing else. You dont know the strengths and weaknesses with this weapon versus that weapon.

As for technique, it depends on your play style. I tend to be more agressive almost to the point of "Run N Gun", yet when I am sniper, I will crawl through wheatfields like farmer Brown checking out the harvest. Both techniques are very different from each other, require different thinking and tactics.

The FIRST thing I would do is check out your PC and maybe post your specs here so we can see if there is a bottle neck. If you do have another type of lag going on and never get that fixed, it wont matter what you try, you will get killed before you have a chance to aim.

The second thing is get to know the maps and try to figure out paths people take the most. Look at those paths and think about how you could setup an ambush or have cover to protect yourself.

Also, there is a tips sticky at the top of the forums with some good overall strategies you can try out and use.

Of course, people will be posting here as well They will give you ideas.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Probably just a bad day more likely. Happens to me all the time...

Where seemingly anywhere you go you get shot in the back, gayed, and people make rediculous shots on seemingly only you.

Thats when you need to just not play for a day, usually gets the bug out.

Comment

Cptain Crunch: I believe I was on the same server as you were for a few games. I do have AVG Anti-Virus running in the background. I might do a little test with it on and off to see if there is a difference. (Just by looking in the Windows Task Manager I see that it is a system hog.)

The game that I repeatively got pwned it did not have a KillCam unfortunately. I have viewed quite a few KillCam footages however where it does appear that my opponent had ample time for the aim and kill.

As far as the rest of my computer is concerned it is now a couple years old but I have 2 8800 Nvidia cards configured in SLI on a core 2 duo motherboard.

Perhaps I do get into game servers which make it hard to improve, and or are tougher competition but it's just been hard to get into a vanilla server that doesn't have elevated points. I do like what I have now with the bolt upgrades combined with submachine gun used with the Overkill perk.

I do agree that if you get into a specialized game such as S&D you do need to learn the maps well, or if you are restrained to a specialized weapon class such as Bolts Only you do need to learn the weapon characteristics well.

Kyle: Perhaps a lot of this is one bad day of gaming. The last few days I've logged a lot of hours to get through the ranks, and my left wrist (which is movement) has started aching. It's quite possible this has effected my gameplay.

Comment

I'm wondering whether there are instances such as what I encountered above where the person has tweaked the internet settings to ignore all packets except for the active game.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulverisor128 View Post
            I'm wondering whether there are instances such as what I encountered above where the person has tweaked the internet settings to ignore all packets except for the active game.
            That would be hard to do. By default, Windows TCP/IP stack system puts data from multiple programs in one packet. That is why even a slow download (IE, not using 100% bandwidth) can seriously affect ping. It takes time for the stack to decode the packets and work out what is going where.

You can get QoS routers that detect what packets contain gaming data and can accelerate them. Also, PCI/E based network controllers such as the KillerPing can handle Internet data themselves and create packets that only contain gaming data. This is how they claim to reduce ping when downloading torrents etc...

It does however require it's own processor, memory, pretty much a mini PC on a card!

Comment

Thank you for a couple ideas of what could be delaying what I see on the CoD battlefield.

I checked into the QoS type routers. From what I read where a router like this would shine is when the internet connection is split between different users who are using the internet at the same time. Through the QoS you can set which application has priority over the others. It sounds as if there isn't a benefit if there aren't multiple internet applications going at the same time.

In my case the majority of the time I am the only internet user while I am playing CoD. The cheap Linksys router that I have does include a QoS setting which I prioritized by the port number I was using. To be honest I really couldn't discern any difference between having QoS enabled or disabled.

I am curious whether I might have a slow link somewhere in the link between internet and computer. I'm not sure whether my router itself could be a bottleneck. I'll be checking into this.

Comment

I have a DGL-4300 and the QoS, which they call GameFuel, only works to a point. I can have torrents running on a different computer and still play games but if my wife brings up Myspace I'm toast.

Comment

Working...
                X