Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gaming PC As We Know It Is Doomed WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Gaming PC As We Know It Is Doomed WTF?

Originally posted by Vreki
    Yeah, but unlike a "Gaming PC", a sports car will still be a sports car capable of reaching the speed limit in 5 years, even if you don't upgrade it.
    You are not going to be selecting "All High" on your gaming PC two years from now without any upgrades .

I have a Wii too, and it is great when you have friends over. But with regards to singleplayer and online, it doesn't really have anything that can keep me interested for nearly as long as the equivalent on the PC.

In my experience Consoles are for playing together with a bunch of friends in the same room. They excel at that, but otherwise I prefer my PC.
    Exactly. The Wii is a "socialization device" and my PC is directly opposite of that as an "anti-socialization device. :laugh: Well, I suppose Facebook/MySpace have changed that somewhat...

I see your point, yet the problem from my perspective is that the speed limit on the roads don't change but the "speed limit" for PCs is constantly changing. It could be that $3000 spent for a great gaming rig would be well-worth the expense if gaming was your primary hobby and you use it extensively.

My current rig is 2 years old, cost me $1200 and I've logged many hundreds of hours enjoying my hobby with it. I could easily spend that same amount on bowling, range shooting or motocross. With as much time and energy as I've directed towards my PC, I could have purchased more horsepower for a more enjoyable experience and it still would be worth it. :salute:

But, you have a very valid case that the lifespan of a PC is too short. I have a 15 year old TV that I pad waaaay too much money for but it still has a great picture and we use it daily. What computer can you say that about? I drive an '87 Toyota because it gets incredible gas mileage compared to many modern vehicles. Does one ever get better performance from old computers? :shock:

Comment

The post release, open development of most PC titles which mutually insure exposure and profitability will enable the PC to outlive any type of console trend.

In other words, you can't mod console games. Mods greatly increase the sale of the base games when they are done right.

all you have to do is look at two mods...counter strike and desert combat.

PC gaming isn't going anywhere due to it's infinite modability/tweakability.

Comment

Agreed. DC was a great, great mod and really added to 1942 sales. But, it requires dev/publisher input

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
          Agreed. DC was a great, great mod and really added to 1942 sales. But, it requires dev/publisher input
          Yes, and I also think that consoles are great test beds for future PC input devices....which is where we need to progress to. A higher level of interaction.

Comment

Well, the input depends. What we don't to begin is porting. But, there are lessons to learn from consoles. One is communal gaming, where you can get the mates around to play a game rather than just sitting in front of a PC against internet foes.

This means learning about how to develop local multiplayer games, but also new input devices. Ideas can be taken from the wii, but the OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator is also interesting

Comment

Working...
            X