Windows 7 & 2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 7 & 2142

It clearly says on the release notes that it clitchy ,unsupported and should not be used on your primary computer!

Im not interested because i just got vista for $400+ and its not a finished product yet!

Seriously vista owners are going to be mad and its bad company management:shakehead:

Comment

Re Punkbuster kick. A geekotype has proposed a possible solution - I don't have the game installed as yet so cannot confirm this is a complete fix

http://msmvps.com/blogs/brianmadsen/archive/2009/01/14/windows-7-punkbuster-fix.aspx

The xFi 5.1 surround sound issue can be resolved with DanielK's xFi support pack which can be found on creatives support forums. This enables surround under Win7 and restores CMSS3D etc.

Comment

Well I just tried this and it doesn't work for me. Some people are saying that it only works for the x86 version of Win7.

The hit/blackout bug that was present in the 180 Nvidia drivers appears to have been resolved however. I am using 181.20 and don't have that issue anymore.

Comment

So as I was saying - 2142 now appears to work on Windows 7 using a few compatability options. I re-installed tonight to see if it was still working and have played all evening with no problems.

To answer a question. Windows 7 has no real benefits for gamers over XP or Vista IMO. Windows 7 runs better on lower spec hardware than Vista does and in less memory so if you have an old system 7 maybe be kinder than Vista but you'd probably best stick to XP. Performance differences between Vista and XP and 7 are negligible in my view.

As for general use, Windows 7 features better useability than either XP or Vista. It looks a hell of a lot more contemporary than XP. It plays dixv/xvids out of the box. It looks more polished and cohesive. I use features like Aero Snap and Peek a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperJac View Post
            Running the PB exes in comp mode has no effect. I'm guessing that it should be an easy matter for evenbalance to alter their software so hopefully when the public beta hits this should be sorted.

I had another issue. For some reason the pre-beta will suddenly fail to recognise your soundcard. It's happened to me three times now. Everything's is running nicely then you boot up to find the sound has died. Control panel displays an unknown device where my Xfi should be. Re-installing the driver does nothing . I think it's something to do with IRQ allocations but could not be assed messing about.

I have temporariliy reinstalled Vista X64 to get a few rounds in over Xmas. I will report back my findings when the public beta is made available. Should be early January.
            Sounds like the recent XP/Vista updates, [compatability testing for Win 7] are the reason I've had to swap my x-fi pci slot a few times recently, restarts no workie, and shutdowns hung on restart. Definately dropping the sound card with bios plug and play.

Comment

Working...
            X