Prestige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestige

So what exactly is prestige. I have heard that when you go for prestige, you lose all of your current progress. So can anyone kind of explain to me what it is, and if it is worth it.
    Thanks.

Re: Prestige

Essentially what it does is reset everything to level 1 so you can go through all the ranks again, but you get a new rank icon and at some levels of prestige you unlock a new custom class slot to a total of 5 new slots.

IT CANNOT BE REVERSED!

Here are the different icons:

Comment

I have no interest in Prestige. The only purpose ranks have for me is to get the unlocks, so why would I give them up?

Comment

You would only go prestige if you wanted to obtain further custom create a class slots of if you wanted to push yourself again through the ranks.

Comment

Already people on 7 on the xbox, sigh, get a life, they dont even have power leveling servers. I hope to get to 65 and enjoy the game.

Comment

Well ive made my decision, now prestige for me, because I got my weapons that i like Thanks!

Comment

Some people enjoy the ranking-up process. In COD4, they would create new profiles so that they could do the ranking again. For them, Prestige allows them to keep their k/d stats and unlock stuff again.

For people who like to play a wide variety of game-types, many of them found the 5 create-a-class slots too limited. For them, many will like to unlock extra slots to have their specialty classes ready for that particular S&D, CTF, TDM, etc, match.

Definitely not for everyone, but a nice addition for those who wanted it in COD4. It's there if you want it, but you're not forced to use it if you don't.

FYI - extra slots are unlocked at Prestige 1, 2, 4, 7, & 10. I'll probably Prestige at least once or twice for the first 2 extra slots, then see how I feel about going for the 3rd slot at Prestige lvl 4. Then again, if custom servers/maps get rolling, then "regular" ranking won't matter, and I may forget about Prestige altogether. Will have to see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
                Some people enjoy the ranking-up process. In COD4, they would create new profiles so that they could do the ranking again. For them, Prestige allows them to keep their k/d stats and unlock stuff again.

For people who like to play a wide variety of game-types, many of them found the 5 create-a-class slots too limited. For them, many will like to unlock extra slots to have their specialty classes ready for that particular S&D, CTF, TDM, etc, match.

Definitely not for everyone, but a nice addition for those who wanted it in COD4. It's there if you want it, but you're not forced to use it if you don't.

FYI - extra slots are unlocked at Prestige 1, 2, 4, 7, & 10. I'll probably Prestige at least once or twice for the first 2 extra slots, then see how I feel about going for the 3rd slot at Prestige lvl 4. Then again, if custom servers/maps get rolling, then "regular" ranking won't matter, and I may forget about Prestige altogether. Will have to see how it goes.
                I sure as hell think the whole create-a-class system is limited. I've been spoiled by BF2 and BF2142 where you can change your whole kit in between spawns. Why did they go this route in the first place? Who thought this was a good idea?
                I have to have one bolt kit for tank maps, one for small maps, one for larger maps with no tanks. That's three. Then one SMG for small and one for tanks, all five are taken. They have all of these options with perks and weapons, but make you LEAVE THE GAME to use the ones you get? To whom does that make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Unnamed Assailant
                  I've been spoiled by BF2 and BF2142 where you can change your whole kit in between spawns. Why did they go this route in the first place? Who thought this was a good idea?
                  If I had to guess...

At first, when this came up in COD4, I thought they might have been worried about people taking too long messing around in create-a-class, and essentially tying up slots in the server...basically being AFK and hurting your team while you checked Challenges and tweaked your classes.

However, as we learned more about the tech limits of the engine, I think that may have been the actual reason. They can only load/use so many objects at one time on each map, which is one of the reasons why we don't have overlapping attachments...too many combinations to pre-load into gameplay. I have a feeling this was the actual reason behind it in COD4. They may have found some extra memory through optimizations in COD:WW, which allowed them to expand this a bit to 10 total slots.

Again, no dev team member has actually said this, it's just an educated guess on my part.

Comment

I can understand not allowing more than one attachment on a weapon at any given time. Imagine having a silenced, scoped weapon with a bayonet and grenade launcher! There would be balance issues there.
                    I can also understand limiting it to three perks, one per class, at a time. But not allowing players to change perks mid-game?
                    Say you have 32 people in a server. Each of those has 5 create-a-class slots plus the original 5 classes. I'm a little drunk to be doing any math, but it looks to me like you could potentially have pretty much every weapon used in a round if it went long enough. So that memory would have to be used anyway, to load all of the possibilities. What is that, 32 to the 10 power?

Comment

Not sure. It may have more to do with the calculations the engine has to do on your own PC, versus what's done by the server. The engine may max out on user's PC with a much smaller number of weap/perk/attachment combinations. I don't have the technical expertise to take it much further than that, unfortunately.

I do agree that aside from an actual technical limitation, it doesn't make too much sense to manually limit users' choices in-game.

Comment

Lol im starting my prestige right now that so mad:dead: Because i dont want lost all my progres but i want rank-up so!! i start it!! So lets owt guy!!

:salute:

Comment

But didn't ModWarfare for CoD4 let you customize kits in game? I started up a LAN server on it and you could customize kits ingame.

Comment

:thumbsup:When the game end yes but not when you play

Comment

Originally posted by Swatpll View Post
                              :thumbsup:When the game end yes but not when you play
                              He's talking about the default mod of CoD4 which is called ModWarfare. There's 5 default kits to choose from, and when you click one, you can change everything like you're in create-a-class. All while playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X