Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think the storyline failed to overshadow the COD4 stroy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else think the storyline failed to overshadow the COD4 stroy?

SPOILERS forgot code for it if you guys even still use it...

Did anyone else think they tried way to hard to out do the COD4 story by killing or making "close-to-death" scenario's almost every checkpoint...i mean really ¬.¬...1/2 sgt's die(depending on who you save on the last american level), some guy's head pops off right infront of you, you almost drown...its like what gametrailers said, there just wasn't any real attachment to the character's

end spoils
    for the love of god i hope that just isn't me =/

Re: Anyone else think the storyline failed to overshadow the COD4 stroy?

I definitely agree. They tried way too hard to make the game dramatic.

Comment

I cared more for the characters in COD4 than COD:WAW. That's saying something I guess.

Comment

All in all methinks WAW is disappointing after CoD4 und certainly not a new game like BF2142 was over BF2. I still miss the leaderboards and tags.

Comment

I dont think so. The stories are similiar because they are both war stories. The truth is that thats what happened in WW2. People would go a long time knowing each other and many died at the end of it all.

I dont think it was about attachment but surviving the fight. You were a POW rescued by a group of guys you dont know. Some GIJoe got his head shot off in front of you, that means stay down. Better him than you.

CoD4 you knew these characters a bit more and understood where they were coming from, from the getgo. The story didnt change and stayed on course the entire time. Where CoD5, you are island hoping and your situation changes constantly.

CoD4 was about the story and the goal. CoD5 was about surviving.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't think anyone had really a chance to develop an attachment to the Jarhead in COD4, but overall the story was alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by seoulspirit View Post
              SPOILERS forgot code for it if you guys even still use it...

Did anyone else think they tried way to hard to out do the COD4 story by killing or making "close-to-death" scenario's almost every checkpoint...i mean really ¬.¬...1/2 sgt's die(depending on who you save on the last american level), some guy's head pops off right infront of you, you almost drown...its like what gametrailers said, there just wasn't any real attachment to the character's

end spoils
              for the love of god i hope that just isn't me =/
              I agree, you don't really become attached to the characters. The only one I would have been upset at loosing would be Reznov.

Comment

^yeh i thought he died twice
                -:rofl:

Comment

I don't think COD:WW had a chance to overshadow the story in COD4, nor did they try.

COD4's story was completely fictional, so they could do with it whatever they wanted. And, they had the opportunity to do things first (ie. like having your character die, or another important player on your team).

COD:WW is limited to the setting of WWII, and they can only go so far off-track with the story and still retain any credibility. I think they tried to borrow some dramatic elements from COD4 to help make the story more interesting, which is about all they could do. But since this was already done in COD4, it is no longer as unique or fresh.

Overall, I think they did fine. I enjoyed the stories, but what I wanted more was the feeling of WWII (big battles, total chaos, etc) which I think COD:WW delivered. I don't view it as a failure at all.

Comment

Although the story was a lot weaker than the CoD4 SP i do feel as though the WaW SP was MUCh more suspenseful and had a lot more action and brutality. It felt more like i was playing in a war, rather than CoD4's "5 men saving the world" approach.

Comment

Somehow they could of made the battle of Berlin alot more involved, I mean come on, they searched tooth and nail for Hitler's remains only to find em burned in a ditch. The landing of D-day, Saving Private Ryan comes to mind about a well developed for story. Okinawa anyone? I think they were just plain lazy this time around.

Comment

Is there another half-dead scene like in CoD2 on D-Day or CoD4 where you're on the blown up bridge? Is that what you meant by "close-to-death" scenario's"? Because I'm getting tired of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                          Is there another half-dead scene like in CoD2 on D-Day or CoD4 where you're on the blown up bridge? Is that what you meant by "close-to-death" scenario's"? Because I'm getting tired of those.
                          There's about 5 times you are about to get killed, but are saved. 2 just in the first mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
                            COD:WW is limited to the setting of WWII, and they can only go so far off-track with the story and still retain any credibility. I think they tried to borrow some dramatic elements from COD4 to help make the story more interesting, which is about all they could do. But since this was already done in COD4, it is no longer as unique or fresh.
                            WWII was more than the 10 battles they cycle through on The History Channel. They could easily have included small (fictional) skirmishes that nobody would ever have heard of, and be free to twist the story as they liked.

The SP campaign was ok, but it was one long Deja Vu. I must have already played around 10 WWII FPS already. It will leave no lasting impression, except maybe "flamethrowers are cool"
                            And Zombies of course, if you count that as a part of the SP campaign

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
                              I definitely agree. They tried way too hard to make the game dramatic.
                              same.. Lol:thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
                              X