L4D trips, tricks, and cool stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: L4D trips, tricks, and cool stuff

When being charged by a bunch of zombies. STAND FREAKING STILL.

I don't know how many times my zany twitch UT playing friends have been jumping and zigzagging everywhere while they shoot, usually ending up with my bullets in their back because of it.

Great game, can't wait for the full version.

Comment

Originally posted by so1id sn@ke
      Right, I hear that isn't even the final version of the No Mercy campaign in the demo. Apparently the level itself was shortened in the demo version, meaning the safehouses aren't going to be in the same place in the actual game.
      I think safe houses are going to be in the same place, but there will be more throughout the level. When you set up a game you can choose which chapter to start on, and you can see that there are three more.

Comment

Tip: When a boomer blows chunks at someone, the zombies spawned afterward only attack that person. So put him/her in the back or in a corner somewhere, the zombies will try to run past you without attacking, and you can form a line to block (and of course kill) them.

Comment

Originally posted by so1id sn@ke View Post
          Tip: When a boomer blows chunks at someone, the zombies spawned afterward only attack that person. So put him/her in the back or in a corner somewhere, the zombies will try to run past you without attacking, and you can form a line to block (and of course kill) them.
          :nod:

If you know you're going to face a tank, and can't win. Have one person stay behind in the safe room. After the other 3 are killed, he can take it out safely. (all credit goes to the cowardly bobthejob )

Comment

Originally posted by jake___
            :nod:

If you know you're going to face a tank, and can't win. Have one person stay behind in the safe room. After the other 3 are killed, he can take it out safely. (all credit goes to the cowardly bobthejob )
            The tank can make it into the safe room. Has happened a lot with me and my friends.

Comment

f you know you're going to face a tank, and can't win. Have one person stay behind in the safe room. After the other 3 are killed, he can take it out safely. (all credit goes to the cowardly bobthejob )
              Yeah, but he got killed by that smoker right after.....

Comment

That was awesome.

Comment

Ok, back on topic: Did you know that you can rapidly melee by switching between weapons while spamming the melee button? It'll quickly kill anything that stays in range for more then a few seconds (it's actually very good at killing hunters due to their pronounced stagger from melee).

Other then that though I can't find too much use for it due to the fact that it cancels any reloads you have going (due to switching weapons), as well as the fact that crowds will usually get an attack or two in even with rapid melee (though turning while swinging to make sure you cover the whole crowd lessens the chance of getting hurt). It sure is fun to use though.

Also note that if you switch too fast, sometimes the switching will cancel the melee attacks, so you have to time the switching to a certain pace (which you will find out on your own). Because of this, some dexterity is required to jam the melee key, switch at the correct pace, and worry about actually hitting the zombies.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I'm not sure if it'll get fixed in a patch, but it doesn't really feel like an intentional design decision due to it's slight bugginess sometimes.

Comment

Weapon penetration:

This is a little more complicated then people think. The pistol, SMG, and surprisingly the AR all have zero mob penetration, meaning that your bullet disappears as soon as it hits someone. This can cause problems because zombies that run forward after dying still soak up bullets, even though they are dead. This can lead to mobs closing in on you on the tails of a couple staggering, dead zombies.

The shotguns have modest penetration. The pump and auto are exactly the same in this regard, precise value is about 300, (I'm not sure what that means exactly but I'll put it there simply for comparison to the rifle) Meaning the pellets go through a zombie and continue on for a small distance. This makes the shotties a superior damage dealer to crowds.

Lastly, the rifle has some insane number for mob penetration (the actual value is over 8000), meaning the bullet will punch through almost anyone. You could probably hit a zombie one step from you and one across down a whole block with a single bullet if you had a lucky shot. This makes the rifle pretty pretty good for when zombies have to rush through a narrow area.

Source

Comment

What?! 8000?!!

Comment

it should be

OVER NINE THOUSAND

In the demo it seemed like the penetration for the shotgun wasn't that bad, I could take down at least 2-3 zombies if they were lined up every single time.

amirite?

Comment

Great tips Solid Snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Astley
                            What?! 8000?!!
                            it should be

OVER NINE THOUSAND

In the demo it seemed like the penetration for the shotgun wasn't that bad, I could take down at least 2-3 zombies if they were lined up every single time.

amirite?
                            I knew someone was gonna do that.

But yes if the zombie are right behind one another it should go through 2-3.

The rifle however probably goes through any number of zombies with it's super-high penetration value.

Originally posted by L4D Alan View Post
                            Great tips Solid Snake.
                            Thank you. :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by so1id sn@ke
                              I knew someone was gonna do that.

But yes if the zombie are right behind one another it should go through 2-3.

The rifle however probably goes through any number of zombies with it's super-high penetration value.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

I went through your mom with super-high penetration value.

I'm sorry.... I just couldn't resist.

Comment

I went through your mom with super-high penetration value.
                                Comparing me and you, it's like a tank & a boomer.

I take them down and pound them until they're half knocked-out.

You take a while to get going and pop after a couple seconds.

Comment

Working...
                                X